• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks a lot to the organisers, delegates and staff, and congrats to everyone who broke records and/or podiumed! :D
Seconded, and I think Iggy speaks for many cubers there. A lot of people gave up a lot of their time unpaid to put this huge and impressive event together, purely for the love of the sport. It was a privilege to be there. Huge thanks and respect to all those who made it possible. Merci beaucoup ;)

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are there any stats how many people was watching finals. I've counted around 3600 - 3800 on twitch and 500-600 on youtube. But there were transmissions in other languages, I guess?

I had the Twitch feed on for the majority of the 4 days in the study whilst working. I heard the commentators say that the Japanese feed that had upwards of 30,000 views. Whether that was over the duration of the event or for a specific time is unclear.

Certainly from someone who unfortunately was unable to attend the event came across as being excellently run. The media feed and commentators were great and the atmosphere seemed just amazing. Congratulations to all involved in its success and for all those winners, podium placed or just those striving for PBs

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had the Twitch feed on for the majority of the 4 days in the study whilst working. I heard the commentators say that the Japanese feed that had upwards of 30,000 views. Whether that was over the duration of the event or for a specific time is unclear.

Thanks Chris. I think the number 4,500 (yt and twitch during Finals) is underrated. During US Nats Finals there were around the same number of viewers.

Gomorrite

Finally, with 938 competitors, it did not surpass Asian Championship 2016 as the biggest competition ever. Too many people registered and did not attend.

DGraciaRubik

WCA
2009ORTI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am extremely happy that I got to go to my first big competition after having been cubing for over 8 years. Everything was great: organizing, ambiance, venue. I got to meet a lot of people and got to see some excellent cubers too, even though you can see it on youtube or anywhere else, seeing it live is just something else.

My results were expected as I got little to no practice in the weeks before but I am really happy that I got to break my Square-1 (New national record both single and average and single PB in the finals, first official sub-9 for me :)), Pyraminx and Skewb average PB (Top-50 for both of those events which I didn't expect at all).

While in the waiting room for the SQ-1 finals we realized that SQ-1 is a Daniel-event, Daniel Karnaukh, Daniel Rose-Levine, Daniel Wallin and myself (Daniel Gracia) were competing in the finals.

Nencaran

WCA
2009BONN01
While in the waiting room for the SQ-1 finals we realized that SQ-1 is a Daniel-event, Daniel Karnaukh, Daniel Rose-Levine, Daniel Wallin and myself (Daniel Gracia) were competing in the finals.

Haha yes, we realized that at the scrambling table. The runners immediatly saw that just calling "Daniel" would not be possible :D

DGraciaRubik

WCA
2009ORTI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha yes, we realized that at the scrambling table. The runners immediatly saw that just calling "Daniel" would not be possible :D

Yeah, but in the end I just got used to double check my name, runners would call me Daniel Ortiz, Daniel Garcia (which is not even my real surname), Daniel Garcia Ortiz, Daniel Gracia Ortiz or simply Daniel.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, but in the end I just got used to double check my name, runners would call me Daniel Ortiz, Daniel Garcia (which is not even my real surname), Daniel Garcia Ortiz, Daniel Gracia Ortiz or simply Daniel.
Yeah as a runner I would like to apologise to all the competitors whose names I mispronounced. At the start of the comp I would politely ask and check I was pronouncing correctly, but after the first 20-30 unfamiliar names I gave up and hoped people would understand and not mind too much :)

3x3: Good first round avg (I don't expect a PB for a long time), second round avg was so bad that it's funny
2x2: Not very good
4x4: Another ~50 avg with bad counting solve (52.29 this time). Did centers wrong on one of the counting times (I think the 52)
5x5: Overall PBs by a lot by borrowing a cube
6x6: Pretty bad
3BLD: DNFs by two flipped edges, two O perms (yep), and most of the cube
FMC: Didn't spend full hour on any solutions, first one I finished quicker to practice feet, second I was really tired. Tied PB mean
OH: 22.86 mean with counting 26 :/ And last solve was 8 move LL done really terribly
Feet: Made finals with a pretty bad mean then got 41, 46, 57 in finals, at least I have a good single now (NR3->NR2)
Mega: Fourth worst avg of the comp :)
Pyra: Pretty good avg but miles from PB. Didn't realise how good my last 4 avgs were for me
Clock: Wanted low 10 avg and got sub 10 but messed up a bit.
Skewb: 0.04 off PB avg
Square-1: Was really happy to come first in first two rounds, but scrambles in the final just sucked...

DGraciaRubik

WCA
2009ORTI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah as a runner I would like to apologise to all the competitors whose names I mispronounced. At the start of the comp I would politely ask and check I was pronouncing correctly, but after the first 20-30 unfamiliar names I gave up and hoped people would understand and not mind too much :)
Don't worry too much, nobody even in Spain pronounces my first family name correctly :p

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was really a great competition! The live streaming, the warm-up area, everyhing was very nice.

I also had good performances.
Imanaged not to screw up 3BLD and get to the finals. Even there I did quite good, finishing 6th but just 2 seconds from the firs place and 1 second from podium - amazing!
I also got successful solves for 4/5BLD, which is always my goal. Maybe I'll practice those events next ;)
The podium in FMC was the unexpected crown over all this. After a bad first solve I got a good second one and with some crazy stuff on the last one I earned the second place :)
I also missed a couple of NRs: the first 3BLD scramble of the first round could have easily been a 22 or so, but I went for an overly safe attempt (which I don't regret). On the second round I missed the mean by not waiting to the green light (insert very big facepalm emoticon). I got 6 seconds away from 5BLD NR screwing up centersbmemo completeyl (hadbto re do it and lost 1:30-2 minutes). But I'm not mad, I wasn't there for setting records.

It was to be there among all the champions. I very happy I could attend.