• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
A question to ask:

The government of the United States has just issued a travel alert for Europe countries, encouraging citizens to take precautions to the area and have a plan in an terrorist attack. This alert was issued especially in Paris. Will this affect Worlds in any way?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
A question to ask:

The government of the United States has just issued a travel alert for Europe countries, encouraging citizens to take precautions to the area and have a plan in an terrorist attack. This alert was issued especially in Paris. Will this affect Worlds in any way?
Funny. The US had 114 mass shootings as of April 14th yet it's Europe that needs a travel warning.
E: the EU has has 53 fatalities and 169 injuries, the US has had 392 and 1502 respectively.

Last edited:
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
A question to ask:

I do not believe that your source is trustworthy.

Hi all,

Here are some news from the WC2017 organisation team :)

We just sent this message to all the registered competitors. Please check it out and share the word to your respective communities!

Finalize your registration

As some of you have noticed, we didn't ask for guests when you registered for WC2017, yet we definitely need this information!
Now is the time to register them!

We have created a small website in order to manage your registration.
This website is "linked" to the WCA website : you won't have to create an account there, you *must* login with your WCA account.

Once you're logged in the website, you will have to do at least the two following actions:
- Confirm or cancel your registration
- If you will bring guest(s), give us all your guests' names (up to 5!)

If you cannot come, please login to cancel your registration as it will allow us to accept someone on the waiting list instead.
If you know you will come, you MUST confirm your registration or it will be deleted on June 19th.

Guests entrance fees can be found here: http://www.rubiksworldparis2017.com/en/faq (1.7).
Please note that they will be paid at the venue!
Remember that if one of your guests is not filled on the website, they will have to pay the visitor fee.

The website is here: https://wc2017.cubing.net

On the home page you can click on the big blue button "Sign in with WCA": you will be redirected to the WCA website to login.

More to come

The schedule of the competition has been imported on this website, and the organization team will put the information about groups there as well.
It means that a few days after registrations close, you will be able to find your personal schedule there (both in a calendar version or printable version)!

Staff members will also find their personal schedule on this website, as soon as it's available.
If you would like to be part of the staff it's not too late, and we could use some more help: please contact a Delegate that could vouch for you and we'll find a spot for you!

Information about the fun village

Dock Eiffel will host the fun village: 1600 m2 dedicated to animations, with a wide variety of booths: fun, educational, commercial, more or less related to the cubing world.

Here is a first list of the activities available:

- The World Cube Association volunteers will be there to teach and inform visitors.

- Olivér Nagy's stickers will have a booth in the fun village. Feel free to checkout his products online, and contact him if you need something specific for WC.

- Hanneke Rijks will expose her wooden creations from her concept "Kunst met hout en humor", full of humour, geometry, mathematics, and cubes.

- Rubik's Photo Cube, created by DESIGN YOUR CUBE will be on site to print personalized Rubik's Cubes. Official World Championship cubes will also be sold at their booth.

- Northwest Designs Ink will print and sell personalized t-shirts of the World Championship.

- Inter Rubik is a French school program involving tournaments between schools, their volunteers will be there to present their activities.

- Greg's Puzzles, French creator of twisty puzzles with 3D printing, will be on site with his complex creations.

- The MO5 association is specialized in retro gaming. They will be on site to make several game consoles from the 80, as well as a giant multiplayer Bomberman. There will also be a selection of cubic games.

- Ian Scheffler will be on site to present his book "Cracking the cube".

- UNITED SQUARE will present various versions of their game, including their new challenges.

Food court

Competition makes you hungry? The food court will make available to everyone (competitors, guests, and visitors) several food trucks. These food trucks will provide various types of food, taking into account the cultural diversity of people coming to World Championship!

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all,

Here are some news from the WC2017 organisation team :)

We just sent this message to all the registered competitors. Please check it out and share the word to your respective communities!
Was just about to check if my girlfriend had confirmed and realised I didn't remember getting an email, turns out it went straight to my junk folder. Seems like somebody could easily miss this information if they had the same thing happen and don't check this forum (or wherever else it got posted).

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
went straight to my junk folder. Seems like somebody could easily miss this information
Yeah my junk filter caught the first WC email and I only found out by chance when someone else mentioned they'd received it.

I added the domain to my safe senders but it seems WC emails come from multiple addresses/domains.

Perhaps the organisers could announce here which addresses they will use so that everyone can take care they don't get filtered?

Information for the competitors regarding the WCA competition are always sent with the address "[email protected]", we created a mailing list to contact all the competitors at once which is "[email protected]".
If your mail provider gave you details about why it has been filtered as spam I'd be glad to take a look at them to avoid this in the future, if possible.

The goal of the confirmation/cancellation is obviously not to delete people just because they missed the information: we wanted to encourage people not coming anymore to cancel, so that we can accept as many people as possible from the waiting list (we have accepted almost everyone actually).
Quite a lot of people have already confirmed their registrations, we'll make sure to address the others personally a few times before just deleting them!

By the way feel free to repost information I gave earlier in your respective local community! The more it spreads the better.

Gomorrite

Is this the first 4 day competition ever? Will this become standard for future WC? :eek:

I see the competition starts on Thursday with less popular events, so I assume many people will arrive later.

rubik_fr

Hi dear friends,
Only 12 days to go before the big event. Organisation is still looking for 15 - 20 volunteers, trusty persons, in whom we are confident and known by our community. Those persons will help us with standard roles, out of any WCA skills. I mean roles like welcome desk for competitors, guests, visitors, so to help them to pick up the badges, gift packs, and give any useful information by answering all miscellaneous queries.
These positions must be maintained during all 4 days from 9am to 6 pm roughly, rotations will be organized so each can take benefit of the show, that’s why the more you will be , the longest the breaks will be and possible.
We are mainly looking for persons who can speak english, but spanish and other langages as well.
Lunch is offered by organisation. Any proposal from half a day to several days will be really appreciated.
It’s really because of you that such a big event can be settled in good conditions.
If you are interested, thank you to contact the organisation email ([email protected]) with ”welcome desk” as a subject.
If you hesitate to be part of the adventure, send us a message first and we will help you to decide.
The soonest you announce your help, the best it is for our organisation, but we will study any offer, preferably before monday July 10th in order to establish the team and assign the roles at the best in regards with your constraints.
A big THANKS to all of you for your support.
Jean-Louis MATHIEU on behalf of the WC2017 core team.

Hello!

The World Championship 2017 is in a week and we have some information for you.

First of all, you personal schedule is available on the same website you used to confirmed your registration: https://wc2017.cubing.net/my_schedule (again, you just have to signin with your WCA account). On this schedule you can see your groups and at what precise time you will be called to compete. Please be careful during the competition if you do not want to miss your time frame, since we won't allow people to be late.

On the general schedule, we have added cutoffs for 2x2, Pyraminx and multi blind. For 2x2 the cutoff will be of 6 seconds and for Pyraminx 10 seconds. For these two events, it means that everyone will do two attempts and only the people who have a result under the cutoff will get three more attempts and so complete an average. Regarding multi blind, the cutoff will be 10 points. In any case you will have two attempts, and if at least one of these attempts has a score equal or superior to 10 points, you will be allowed to do a third one (examples: a 10/10, 11/12, 11/11 or 12/14 allows you to do a third attempt; a result of 9/10, 10/11, 11/13, 9/9 will NOT allow you to do a third attempt).

If you want to save time, do not hesitate to come register (and get your welcome pack!) on Wednesday, 12th between 4pm (16:00) and 7pm (19:00)!

At last, we would like to remind you to check that your puzzles have reasonable wear. For example a puzzle with very worn off stickers can be refused (this rule is stricter for the blind events but it applies to all events!). Also, you cannot use a cube with a logo on it for the blind events. So please anticipate that if you don't want to have a bad surprise on D Day!

In the meantime, keep practicing and see you next week!