• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube 2.0 Released

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Nice. Hopefully the smoother new version with tiles gets more people into cubing.

I wonder how consumers will react to a smooth cube with tiles. Would the demand for cubes with stickers drop to a point where manufacturers can't justify production runs to produce anything but tiled cubes? (i.e. 10k or so speedcubers left without a supply of "speed cubes").

"I used to pull the tiles out and put it back together LOL!" <-- next gen ^_^

Tim.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good to see it's finally public knowledge. I've had a couple of prototypes since last summer. I might try to compare the pics to my versions later to see whether my comments would actually be relevant any more. I made several recommendations to Seventowns.

A quick one-line review: Much better than the old ones!

EDIT: Here's a short video

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. that is fast for a Rubik.

I must have missed this but you CAN change the tensions on this?

Mind.. I LOVE how our desks are the same.. drink on left, keys mouse and stuff same as here, buncha cubes, bottle a lube on there. The only thing missing on yours is the camera and the box of tissues. And I don't have a mat lol

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK. that is fast for a Rubik.

I must have missed this but you CAN change the tensions on this?

Mind.. I LOVE how our desks are the same.. drink on left, keys mouse and stuff same as here, buncha cubes, bottle a lube on there. The only thing missing on yours is the camera and the box of tissues. And I don't have a mat lol
You can't change the tensions on the one in my video.

I am missing a camera on my desk because the camera is filming the video...

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah yes of course! *duh on camera*

Not tensionable? BIG mistake by Rubik's if you ask me.
I'm expecting another announcement fairly soon relating to this
Remember that these storebought cubes are sold to millions of people around the world. They can't deal with thousands of people playing around with tensions with no idea what they're doing and then complaining that the cubes fall apart

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not sure what makes the circular core any better than a regular one, but it does look cool. I do like the idea of tiles. I still think the Zanchi or Guhong will be hard to beat, but that 2x2 design looks very promising. I don't have a 2x2 (I just do double moves on my 4x4), and I am will probably get one like this when I decide to get a 2x2.

EDIT: It is a problem that it is not tensionable. Another problem I see is the tiles falling out. You'd have to have a way to keep them in good and still be able to come out when you want them to. I don't see any anti-pop system in it either. The Zanchi's edge shape allows it to have much less pops without hindering anything else, so why not add that to the design? I would love to have a cube made out of extremely durable plastic, with tiles that stay in well, is tensionable, and has a good design. I think it would also be cool to be able to order custom colored tiles or textured tiles that would fit into the cube. I think someone should make something like this so I could get one :cool:. Would that 2x2 design be waterproof because its all plastic?

Last edited:
WCA
2012TOWE01
lol, so according to a few on twistypuzzles, this breaks the V3 patent for the design.

Verdes vs Seventowns will be fun to watch, but I doubt anything will happen

As for the cube itself, it's nice to see a mainstream speedcube :)