• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Again, sorry for a bump, but the question still remains about the webpage, does the "hidden" edge (back down edge) in the diagrams for the orientation cases matter?

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well you will always have an even number of edges oriented correctly. thus if you see an even number of oriented edges you know the one in the back is mis-oriented and if you see an odd number of oriented edges then you know the one in the back is good.

Dirk BerGuRK

Just match your cube to the diagram and perform the moves. Remember that it is an iterative process. As Lofty said, there will always be an even number of unoriented and oriented edges of any cube. So if three of the five edges you can easily see are unoriented, then the BD edge is unoriented. This shouldn't matter to you now since you are just matching to the diagrams, but you can easily tell if you are done if the visible five edges are oriented.

thank you for being patient with this, I feel my attempts at roux really have helped my CFOP style solve, and now I feel my advancements at CFOP will be helping me with roux. I'm thinking of going to roux for my 3x3x3 and CFOP after reduction for my larger cubes.

Wacky

I had a bit of trouble understanding this step but then I realised that

MU'M swaps two pairs of edges in such a way that it reverses the orientation.

Drawing a diagram to see which step leads to which step helped too.

Yes, I can see how that would help a lot... I could then string together the simple moves into a longer move for each starting case, and have a better idea what to "look" for after finishing.

max145

Help with roux method

I'm new to cubing. I started about a month ago. I first discovered Dan Brown's vid on Youtube, which helped me get my first solve. I soon learned that that was NOT the way to go so I started intuitive F2L. Then 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. My best single is 1.10.xx and my best average is around 1.15.xx. Anyway the full oll and pll seemed a little daunting so I thought I'd give petrus and roux a try. I really like roux and understand all the steps except for the orientation of the six edges.

Could anyone help me/give some advice? I saw that in the thread further down by Smartyy, ooveehoo said that was his favorite step (unless it was ironic :p).

All help is appreciated

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forum.
The orienting edges step seems pretty self explanatory to me what dont you get?
Can you identify which ones are not oriented correctly? If so then you simply recognize the case and apply one of the simple algs.

max145

Thanks, Yeah I can easily tell if an edge is oriented correctly or not but I have a hard time recognizing which case I have so I can apply an algorithm. And if I understood correctly, once I find the right algorithm to apply, will I have to apply it several times to work through a sequence before getting the final result?

max145

Ok, thanks. I finally got it. It was pretty dumb actually. Anyway, my times shot way up but that was to be expected.

best time so far : 2.15.77 but I guess that's still pretty good for a beginner.