• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
This was a mystery for me. But I meet roux and he explain me a lots of thing on his method.

In my explainations, i will considere that my top face is yellow and the opposite is white.

So first of all, you need to move the M slice to get the yellow or white center on top layer. All the edges with yellow or white on top or bottom in this position are well oriented. All other are misoriented.

When you do a U move with yellow or white center on top, orientation remain the same. But if you have another center, each U move change the orientation of all U layer edges.

Keep in mind that U2 change orientation two time, so it remain the same.

You can quite intuitively orient all the edge using this way. You can use non yellow/white center sas reference, but it's more complicated and more dedicated to FM. Anyway, it's sometime usefull in speed.

Smartyy

You should also give Petrus a try, just for the sake of learning it. If you learn more methods, not neccesarily perfectly but learn them nonetheless, you will have more general knowledge of the cube and knowledge is something a lot of people don't have.

max145

Thanks, for the advice deadalnix. It helped understand how those simple MU algorithms work.

I I've gone through all of those videos. At first I couldn't understand a thing because he would just show us a case then solve pretty quickly. But after reading roux's site and solving the cube a few time using his method I can understand them better and they've helped.

And to Smartyy, Yeah I've tried the Petrus method. It's pretty fun and I think it'll help with block building. But like he says for the orientation of the 7 edges, it feels a little claustrophobic. lol I know roux is kinda the same but you, personal preferences.

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT : Just broke a minute : 1.53.73

max145

Oh and another thing, any advice for locating pieces faster in the first two steps? And also, how do you guys plan so many steps in advance during the 15s inspection?

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Just don't ry to go fast (as for fridrich F2L).

When you solve a part of a block, don't look at what your are solving but search what you will solve after.

If you go at 1mvt/sec, you can finish the first two blocs in something like 25s. With 2mvt/sec on first two bloc (but faster for the rest of the cube) you can be sub20.

So look and don't turn your cube fast. Try to minimise the time when you do nothing.

DonQuixote

WCA
2007MAIR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh and another thing, any advice for locating pieces faster in the first two steps? And also, how do you guys plan so many steps in advance during the 15s inspection?
The main key is practice. If you train on a regular basis you can expect to see the whole 1st block during inspection after one or two years. But one does not necessarily need to see the whole first block in order to average sub-20.
When I started with Roux I averaged under 55s right away but this was possible due to the fact that I did not rush to a professional technique but tried to understand the cube better and achieve better times with my beginner method.

Kind Regards
Martin

max145

Ok thanks, I don't think practicing will be a problem. lol Everytime I see the cube I have to pick it up and do a few solves. It's so addictive!!!

Tweker

Roux Help thread

First of all, I curently AVG ~55sec with cross/f2l/2 look oll and 2 look pll (personal best 45 sec (no skip)). To improve that time I would need to improve cross building, less pause in-between each f2l pairs and of course moove to 2 look last layer.

The reason I want to switch to roux's method is that there is less algorithm to learn and its way more fun and can still be pretty fast. I did a search on the forum, people recomended looking at solve examples to improve block building (but did not find any :S ) Any one has link to solve example? Also, since I'm starting, should I stick to a color scheme or try to be color neutral from start?

If anyone can make a video with a few 1x2x3 block building example with explanations, I would apreciate it alot :)

p.s. sorry for my poor writing, I'm French and not very good in English

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
First of all, I curently AVG ~55sec with cross/f2l/2 look oll and 2 look pll (personal best 45 sec (no skip)). To improve that time I would need to improve cross building, less pause in-between each f2l pairs and of course moove to 2 look last layer.

The reason I want to switch to roux's method is that there is less algorithm to learn and its way more fun and can still be pretty fast. I did a search on the forum, people recomended looking at solve examples to improve block building (but did not find any :S ) Any one has link to solve example? Also, since I'm starting, should I stick to a color scheme or try to be color neutral from start?

If anyone can make a video with a few 1x2x3 block building example with explanations, I would apreciate it alot :)

=] =] =]

I like seeing newcomers trying a blockbuilding method. Roux is very cool indeed, I tried to switch to it at one point, but there really isn't much available to help you on it, and the only Roux site I've seen like grrrrroux or something I couldn't follow. Have you looked at the Petrus method by any chance? =] Lar5.com/cube
I average 23 seconds with it. It's good stuff.

Tweker

=] =] =]

I like seeing newcomers trying a blockbuilding method. Roux is very cool indeed, I tried to switch to it at one point, but there really isn't much available to help you on it, and the only Roux site I've seen like grrrrroux or something I couldn't follow. Have you looked at the Petrus method by any chance? =] Lar5.com/cube

Yeah, Roux's webiste is http://grrroux.free.fr/

When I first wanted to learn to solve the cube, I looked at petrus, I didnt like it that much(maybe because I didnt understand the cube as much as I do now) . I might try it sooner or later but I really like the M and U moves at the end of Roux's method. But my goal is sub 20 and I don't think there is many petrus users that get to sub 20s :S

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel

=] =] =]

Yeah, Roux's webiste is http://grrroux.free.fr/

When I first wanted to learn to solve the cube, I looked at petrus, I didnt like it that much(maybe because I didnt understand the cube as much as I do now) . I might try it sooner or later but I really like the M and U moves at the end of Roux's method. But my goal is sub 20 and I don't think there is many petrus users that get to sub 20s :S
There really aren't, but I garauntee I'm going to get it. BTW there are even less sub 20 Roux solvers IMO, even less people use Roux than Petrus. I couldn't understand Petrus at first, at alllllll. I came back to it later on, and then I got it.

Athefre

There really aren't, but I garauntee I'm going to get it. BTW there are even less sub 20 Roux solvers IMO, even less people use Roux than Petrus. I couldn't understand Petrus at first, at alllllll. I came back to it later on, and then I got it.

I'm not sure how many people use Petrus vs. Roux but I can list some people using each:

Petrus:

Lars
Johannes Laire (sub-20)
Erik Johnson (sub-20)
Anthony Hsu (sub-20)
Kyle Allaire (sub-20)
Tristan Wright (sub-20)
Sn3kyPandaMan
Jason Gulledge

Roux:

Gilles (Sub-13, at least 3 months ago, maybe sub-12 now)
James Straughan (Me, sub-20)
Thom Barlow (sub-20)
LuigiStl aka Big Green (sub-20)
Jules Manalang (sub-20)
Richard Meyer (sub-20)
Jason Kovacic
Rawn
rubiksfriend
Chris Riddle
davve14

Sorry for whoever I missed, I try to keep up with everyone but I can't remember everything. There are a bunch of non-sub20 users of these methods on YouTube but I don't feel like finding them all.

EDIT: Added Jason Kovacic, how did I forget him??? His last competition was in 2006 and I can't find a YouTube profile so I'm not sure if he has a sub-20 average. He could be rubiksfriend, or possibly LuigiStl but I don't think LuigiStl has been using the method as long as Jason.

Tweker said:

What you can do is go to Step 2 on Gilles' site and print out the tables of solutions and go over each one and see how it works. It takes a long time to get good at Step 2, you have to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well of course you're going to know more of the best who use your method than the other, but man, those are pretty close! Another thing to consider; Basic methods do not build onto block building methods except for the very most basic concepts, and of course, the dexterity.I averaged like 30-40 or something with layer by layer method, and I switched to Petrus, and for the first week I didn't average sub 1. I think that's a very good example.

Rawn

YouTube
Visit Channel
Roux:

Thom Barlow (sub-20)
Jules Manalang (sub-20)
Richard Meyer (sub-20)
Rawn
rubiksfriend
Chris Riddle
davve14

I've just broken the sub-20 barrier a few times. I average 20-22 secs now.

Athefre

Roux:

Thom Barlow (sub-20)
Jules Manalang (sub-20)
Richard Meyer (sub-20)
Rawn
rubiksfriend
Chris Riddle
davve14

I've just broken the sub-20 barrier a few times. I average 20-22 secs now.

I was going by the person having completed a sub-20 average of 12. I try to keep up with the Petrus and Roux users averages on YouTube and I've only seen that average of 22 seconds on your page. If you have done a sub-20 average, sorry if I've missed something somewhere :(

Tweker

Played alot with my cube today... I'm now at a 47.55 avg (10 out of 12)(with the same method I used before) and a new personal best of 36 secs ( with a two look last layer instead of 4 look) ... now I dont know if I should stick to fridrich or keep learning roux :S Is it that hard to get sub 20 with roux? Because I can see myself geting sub 20 with fridrich if I learn all the algs and pratice looking ahead more.

edit: new lucky solve: 33 sec

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Played alot with my cube today... I'm now at a 47.55 avg (10 out of 12)(with the same method I used before) and a new personal best of 36 secs ( with a two look last layer instead of 4 look) ... now I dont know if I should stick to fridrich or keep learning roux :S Is it that hard to get sub 20 with roux? Because I can see myself geting sub 20 with fridrich if I learn all the algs and pratice looking ahead more.

I'll tell you right now, you can probably get sub 20 with Fridrich in half the time you could with Roux, HOWEVER; to do so you will have to memorize over 50 algs for OLL, and 21 for PLL, AND THEN if you want to learn the fancy F2l algs you're going to need to learn those on top of all of that, what a snooze fest! I could easily have been even sub 16 by now if I went for Fridrich, but it bores me to intense disliking of cubing. If I didn't learn Petrus, I wouldn't be cubing right now.

Also;
I feel like blockbuilding gives you more of a real understanding of how to actually solve, and comprehend every move to solve a rubik's cube. I see so often people who memorize over a hundred algs, and then mindlessly spam the cube with them, without any understanding of what they're really doing. It becomes a matter of just memorizing the solutions to every case, without knowing how to do them efficiently otherwise. So I say, blockbuilding FTW.

Tweker

I'll tell you right now, you can probably get sub 20 with Fridrich in half the time you could with Roux, HOWEVER; to do so you will have to memorize over 50 algs for OLL, and 21 for PLL, AND THEN if you want to learn the fancy F2l algs you're going to need to learn those on top of all of that, what a snooze fest! I could easily have been even sub 16 by now if I went for Fridrich, but it bores me to intense disliking of cubing. If I didn't learn Petrus, I wouldn't be cubing right now.

Also;
I feel like blockbuilding gives you more of a real understanding of how to actually solve, and comprehend every move to solve a rubik's cube. I see so often people who memorize over a hundred algs, and then mindlessly spam the cube with them, without any understanding of what they're really doing. It becomes a matter of just memorizing the solutions to every case, without knowing how to do them efficiently otherwise. So I say, blockbuilding FTW.

I think what I'll do is keep going with fridrich ( but not learn oll and pll yet) just to improve looking ahead, speed of moves and minimize cube rotation. Then when i get good at this I'll decide if I choose roux or full fridrich. What time can you guys do using cross/f2l/4 Look Last layer?