• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
So I've got a couple of questions relating to the history of cubing:

1) When (and why) did the standard color scheme change to the current one? On original Rubik's cubes, it used to be white/blue, yellow/green, red/orange instead of the current white/yellow, blue/green, red/orange

2) What is generally accepted as the first real speed cube to be released?

I don't know number 1, but number 2 I think is the Rubik's DIY. The Rubik's DIY allowed you to customize tensions and take it apart and mod it. If you want the first non-Rubik's brand speedcube as an answer, ask an older cuber, I'm too new.

D

Daniel Lin

When (and why) did the standard color scheme change to the current one? On original Rubik's cubes, it used to be white/blue, yellow/green, red/orange instead of the current white/yellow, blue/green, red/orange
white and yellow look similar, so that's why they're on opposite faces

same with orange and red

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Do cubers have their fingers insured for a lot of money? It would suck if you set a world record then had all of your fingers fall off, preventing more solves. Of course, their is feet solving, but the question remains.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

xyzzy

Practising 3×3×3 stage on my 5×5×5, and:
J7NTpp7.png

As good a place as any other to stop for the night.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea that and the Japanese Speedcubing Kit are the oldest ones I know of, though I don't know which of the "Type A/B/C/etc" was first, they were all around the same time that I started.