• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Pyraminx Discussion

Outsmash

I average about 8-10s using oka method. What should be my course of action here?
I feel stuck at this time range. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average about 8-10s using oka method. What should be my course of action here?
I feel stuck at this time range. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Learn some of the 1-flip algs (they're really easy) and practice a TONNE. Don't worry about inspection - what I like to do sometimes is get out a piece of paper and write my solution to the entire first center (oka block --> centers --> finish center+edges) on the paper. Then try to do that as fast as possible while looking for the LL case.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use lbl and average low 9's ish now. I feel like I should learn keyhole, one flip or something. With keyhole solving the centers after solving two edges feels weird. Also how quick would improvement be by switching. For videos of me solving pyraminx look on my channel. I feel the way I make the layer is inefficient it take me 4-6 seconds on average I think.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I use lbl and average low 9's ish now. I feel like I should learn keyhole, one flip or something. With keyhole solving the centers after solving two edges feels weird. Also how quick would improvement be by switching. For videos of me solving pyraminx look on my channel. I feel the way I make the layer is inefficient it take me 4-6 seconds on average I think.

I put off swapping to keyhole for too long. I swapped from a LBL method (advanced, L4E) that I used at Australian Nationals 2013, to oneflip+keyhole and got the 3.74 OcR average at my competition 2 months later. Different people have different progression rates, but I definitely recommend (if you want the extremely easy NZ Pyraminx NR) swapping to keyhole immediately. Then, once you've got the hang of it, learning all the one-flip cases.

With keyhole only, try to plan the top centre+2 edges in inspection comfortably. Once you can do that, try planning it AND taking note of the centres. Practise doing top 2 edges+orienting all centres with your eyes closed. Then work on working out where the 3rd edge will be. At this stage, you should definitely be averaging 5-7, and one flip will get you down to 3-6

Cubert99

57 seconds on the Pyraminx

Is this a good time? I'm really good at this Pyraminx. :)

bch.PNG

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to know what is fast, check the official WCA website. You are not fast at all. In fact, you are extremely slow at the pyraminx.

brian724080

I'm afraid you're not, that's pretty darn slow. Just as ChickenWrap said, learn the LL algorithms. I can sub-20 pyraminx with two LL algorithms and by using intuition for the rest. I know, that's not fast either, because my only with this puzzle is when someone lent it to me for an hour or so.

cc9tough

WCA
2013CABR01
What is the best way to solve tips (in keyhole)? At the end or in the middle of the solve? My tips are really slow.

when I use key hole I solve the tip connected to my first block right away, and I solve the other tips while orienting the center they are attached to. Hope this helps.