• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
How I tension:
Start with the core (disassembled cube)
Adjust all the screws until, when you pull up the center piece, they pull up equally.
Assemble cube, and loosen/tighten equal amounts until satisfied.
Thanks it worked.
I am having hard times tensioning the 4x4. Most of the people say use that cylinder thingy and tighten it the same amount. But it's not
accurate at all. Any help?

SoySauS

Tried Tensioning a Lingpo 2x2, Dun Goofed

I tightened all the screws all the way, then I loosened each screw one turn at a time. Now it's all jank and scratchy and won't turn well (it feels like it's pulling on springs) and I'm not sure what I did?

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tightened all the screws all the way, then I loosened each screw one turn at a time. Now it's all jank and scratchy and won't turn well (it feels like it's pulling on springs) and I'm not sure what I did?

Tighten it a bit more. You want the screw heads roughly even with the top of the core if that makes sense.

SoySauS

Tighten it a bit more. You want the screw heads roughly even with the top of the core if that makes sense.

Do I loosen and tighten all of them or only 3 of them? I feel like I heard that somewhere but I'm probably wrong.

this worked really well, thank you. it's back to normal.

It is still a bit scratchier than before but I'll figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArniKing2001

uneven tensions on my new zhanchi

I bought my new zhanchi like 2 weeks ago and it had a 45 degrees corner-cutting ability, minimal lock ups, and a faster fell. A week ago I cleaned up my cube because it had collected some dust. After the clean up, the cube's corner-cutting worsened ( the corner cutting worsened on the yellow side only, not on any other), more frequent lock ups, and a gummier fell. I thought of tensioning and lubing it, but is there anything else I can do?

DogFartOoi

Stickerless Zhanchi Tension Problem

I bought a stickerless Zhanchi a long time ago and for a while it has not had this problem. But now, when I turn the puzzle enough, the screws start loosening themselves and soon the cube explodes. This only affects the yellow and orange sides of the puzzle. This is very strange and I don't think anyone else has had this problem before. Any ideas?

ranOOm

*HELP*

I recently bot a new shenshou 4x4x4. I don't know what version it is, however it does tend to pop a lot. Does anyone know how I can prevent that from happening without having to tighten the cube (I need the corner cutting). Also if anyone could tell me a mod or something that allows me to corner cut with a misaligned inner layer. Thanks.

OkinawaSolver

Help! can't tension my fangshi illusion

My fangshi shuangren v2 came incredibly tight so I can't disassemble it to pop of the embedded center caps.

supercube

YouTube
Visit Channel
just got a hualong. the screws have thread going up into the spring area. it rubs on the spring making a ratchet. I need a screw with a smooth shaft where it counts. any suggestions?

also, the core looks crooked right out of the mold even if the screws go into the core strait the core is not straight with itself. what core can I replace it with?

GoranRC

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Guys! I need Big help! So, my Dayan Guhong V2, Just came in the mail today! I've played around with it, and It's SUPER good! I'm impressed. So, I wanted to lube it. There is a big problem, because i can't take the edge piece off. I mean, If i probably used A lot of power i would, but i'm afraid i'm going to break the cube. So, I turned for advice!
I am not sure if it's becuase of the tensions. I really like the tensions on the cube right now, so i don't want to move them. But, Is it because they are too tight? Is it because it has anti-pop mechanism, and i cannot ever take the edge piece off? I'm not sure! thank you for reply in advance!

Last edited:
WCA
2014ATTI01
Hey Guys! I need Big help! So, my Dayan Guhong V2, Just came in the mail today! I've played around with it, and It's SUPER good! I'm impressed. So, I wanted to lube it. There is a big problem, because i can't take the edge piece off. I mean, If i probably used A lot of power i would, but i'm afraid i'm going to break the cube. So, I turned for advice!
I am not sure if it's becuase of the tensions. I really like the tensions on the cube right now, so i don't want to move them. But, Is it because they are too tight? Is it because it has anti-pop mechanism, and i cannot ever take the edge piece off? I'm not sure! thank you for reply in advance!

You can loosen the tensions a bit, but you can turn the edge so it comes out in a fashion where you twist it so the torpedo is facing vertical so it doesn't catch on the corners. You can loosen each side, remember each side! However much on each side just make sure it's even and remember how much you loosened it so if you don't like how loose it is you can put it back to normal tensions

GoranRC

YouTube
Visit Channel
You can loosen the tensions a bit, but you can turn the edge so it comes out in a fashion where you twist it so the torpedo is facing vertical so it doesn't catch on the corners. You can loosen each side, remember each side! However much on each side just make sure it's even and remember how much you loosened it so if you don't like how loose it is you can put it back to normal tensions

Got it! Thank you again :) I'll go ahead and try it!

Eduard Khil

I bought a stickerless Zhanchi a long time ago and for a while it has not had this problem. But now, when I turn the puzzle enough, the screws start loosening themselves and soon the cube explodes. This only affects the yellow and orange sides of the puzzle. This is very strange and I don't think anyone else has had this problem before. Any ideas?

Those two sides of the cube's core has been damaged (Not broken, but in some how the cores plastic is stripped on those sides.
Put a tiny drop of superglue on the screw and screw it in; or wrap a piece of paper around the screw and just screw it in. Or buy a new core.
Check if the screws are moulded properly. I got a lingpo and it explodes frequently as one of the screws are naked (The screw has no threads) so if it is like this, you have to buy a new set of screws and springs, or maybe a core as well

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

What I would do, is put a large amount of tape under the yellow and orange center caps, and this way, when the screw loosens, (if this doesnt solve your problem) you could just buy new springs