• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
*whacks forum*

Second attempt at a post, it disappeared on me.. sorry if this shows up too many times.

SS 2x2, Dremel (or file and lots of patience).

I have done this on all faces:
ssmod2.jpg

to make it corner cut a little easier.

Zhanchis don't need to be modded IMO, just break them in well.

I have modded my 4x4 Dayan/mf8 as well but not the same as mods here on the forum. Basically you need to use and determine where the problem areas are and mod those.

aznanimedude

Re: Modding Thread

Zhanchi is pretty nice, I did a cpm where you basically take the center pieces and shave the stalk so its circular and smooth.

DIY KIT MODS

I'm getting a 2 DIY kits for Christmas (A zhanchi and guhong v2) and was wondering what mods I should do to them both. Also, if you could explain the mod a little, that would be nice. Additionally, I'm getting some cubesmith stickers and was wondering should I put those stickers on first or the stickers the diy kits come with and then remove those later on and try on the cubesmith ones? What does the cubesmith bright set look better on, the white zhanchi or black guhong v2?

I had to repost this because a mod moved my topic to a thread which was about the first part of my question but was completely irrelevant to my 2nd.

Kyooberist

YouTube
Visit Channel
I sanded down parts of my V-cube 2 to improve corner cutting.

The "V" logo is actually cut out of the sticker. The original white `Painted` logo (I thought it might have been painted on) wore off.

Edit:

V-cube.JPG
V- cube 2.JPG
v-cube 3.JPG

Last edited:
Can you post pics of that v-cube 2? I have one on the way here as well, flat model (since my pillowed turns so supple but it falls out of my hands all the time, I figured.. same mech, must be fast), but indeed needs that mod.

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03
I am trying to create a 2x2 with the feel of the favorable zhanchi. My idea (well not mine, my interpertation) is to take a 42mm mini zhanchi and sand down the edges at a 45° angle and attach 2x2 corners to it along with bandaging to reduce lock ups. What 2x2 should I use? I am thinking eastsheen. I need a 2x2 with as hollow of the pieces as possible.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am trying to create a 2x2 with the feel of the favorable zhanchi. My idea (well not mine, my interpertation) is to take a 42mm mini zhanchi and sand down the edges at a 45° angle and attach 2x2 corners to it along with bandaging to reduce lock ups. What 2x2 should I use? I am thinking eastsheen. I need a 2x2 with as hollow of the pieces as possible.

It would probably be easier to just make it in Inventor or some other CAD program than it would modding it by hand.

RubiXer

WCA
2012MORA05
I have a Shengshou 4x4 V3. Is it worth it to do the konsta and florian mods to it? Also, how long would such mod take?
I would say it isn't worth the time it takes and the stress on your hands when you could have easily broken it in by then. Just my opinion. I modded mine awhile back took about 10 hours because I sanded everything by hand and 1 of the core arms ended up getting stripped so I just threw it away. But with a dremel it would probably take around 4 hours (if you don't care about uneven holes and aren't OCD about those kind of things like me) but then again the only thing that was notably different after both mods was the lessened inner lock-ups. The florian mod is only worth it on 5x5's IMO.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Has anybody tried SS4 springs in a SS5?

Nope, but I've put Dayan springs in both, and have similar effects on both. So I'd say that the spring constant for both types of springs are identical.

I have a Shengshou 4x4 V3. Is it worth it to do the konsta and florian mods to it? Also, how long would such mod take?

I did a mod from the Mf8 forum, but it wasn't much help, so I did the Konsta one too. Then it became better, but not good enough for me, so I broke it in a bunch. I couldn't tell you about Florian mod on 4x4, but it doesn't help as much as 5x5, so it's not worth doing the Florian mod on the 4x4 imo. Just do the Konsta mod. Took me about 4 hours with sandpaper including polishing time.

aznanimedude

did the konsta mod really take that much time for you all? it took me like....30 minutes tops

unless there's some secret part i didn't know about all i did was round off the internals. and i haven't gotten around to doing the florian mod yet on my SS, but i was planning to very soooon