Proposal: Review Forum

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by ThomasJE, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    There are many reviews about various cubes around, but there is no specific place to put them. Some may put them in the Speedcubing Help/Questions area, some in the General Puzzle Discussion area, and some in the Hardware Area. So I propose either:
    1) A new forum area called 'Reviews Area' or something simular,
    2) A new sub-forum in the Hardware Area, called 'Reviews' or something simular.

And I know of a thread that proposes the same thing, but that is quite outdated (about 3 years), and I wanted to re-propose the same idea. I think it will help people who want to look at others opinions on a cube, or ask for others opinions on a cube. I will be open to any questions.

2. masterofthebass

masterofthebass Premium Member

May 13, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WCA:
    2007COHE01
    YouTube:
    masterofthebass
    I like it. It makes sense to keep all reviews, both text and video, in one spot for quick lookup.

3. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    I think its a good idea.

4. DavidWoner

DavidWoner The Punchmaster

May 7, 2008
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    WCA:
    2008WONE01
    YouTube:
    vault312
    I also think it's a great idea. Now we have to decide where to put it though.

5. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    This actually does make a lot of sense, and it a great idea. I think putting it in the "Resources" category would make a lot of sense. This way it's not even a subforum, so people can see it right on the main forum page.

6. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Makes sense. I don't think it should go in the Hardware Area because people may review a method or something.

7. asportking

asportking Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Michigan
    YouTube:
    asportkingSoF
    Why don't we put it on the wiki? If anyone wants to add their review, they can just edit the page and put theirs on it. I mean, we don't really need an entire thread for every single review.

8. jrb

jrb Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Sterling, VA
    WCA:
    2011BROW01
    I think it's a really good idea. Probably putting it in the Resources category would be a good idea(like theZcuber suggested).

9. Carson

Carson Premium Member

I love this idea.

Although I see the logic in putting it in the wiki, people would really only see it if they specifically checked to see if it existed. Also, I think the wiki should be reserved for more "factual" things instead of opinion. Just my opinion though...

10. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    I also think this is a good idea and I agree with theZcuber in that we should put it in resources as reviews are, IMO, a major resource to anyone looking to buy a new cube related product.

11. Me

Me Member

Jul 13, 2006
    New Mexico
    WCA:
    2006WRIG01
    YouTube:
    thrawst
    Sounds birlliant, however I see one clarification needed:
    As not all unboxings are not necessarily reviews, would the forum include unboxing only posts?

If they were to go on the wiki, make a page for each cube, and in "More" || "External Links" section put links to all the reviews to the relevant cube there. Might avoid clutter if they're all put on one page.

12. immortalchaos29

immortalchaos29 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Provo, UT
    WCA:
    2013LLEW01
    This is what needs to happen. Eventually there will be so many reviews on the same cube that it would just be so much harder to have to shuffle through pages to find all the reviews you need. Getting a lot of reviews on one cube in the same place would significantly simplify the shopping process. GREAT idea.

13. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

I say it should go as a full forum section so noobs and beginners can find it easily.
    Would someone make a new thread every time they want to reveiw a cube?
    Or would they add on to an exsisting thread assigned to that cube?

EDIT:
    IMO unboxings are stupid and not needed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  14. JonnyWhoopes

JonnyWhoopes Premium Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    WCA:
    2011GRAY02
    YouTube:
    JonnyWhoopes
    While many (dare I say most?) unboxings are done in manners unhelpful, unboxings "done properly" hold value. They are the only real way to watch somebody develop their first impressions.

15. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    A first impression would be when they take it out of the box, not when they take 10 minutes to cut open the packaging and remove the items.

16. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    this.
    I hate it then people open the package, open the bubblewarp, etc..
    just cube in its box 10 sec take out, no showing of the box. then turning and etc..

17. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    People doing U32 R28 to demonstrate the product is also annoying.

18. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    My thoughts exactly.

Many people don't edit the wiki. I think it would be easier if it was on the front page of the forum. And for your second point: I think there should be one thread for each cube. That way, if lots of people had reviews on one particular cube, they could all be put in one thread, which would help people who were thinking of buying that cube.. And also, if someone wanted a review of a cube that there wasn't a thread for, they could ask for others' opinions in a new thread, and keep that thread if after, others wanted to add a review.

A review could include the unboxing, first impressions, and peformance after breaking in possibly. I think they would all be covered in one post.

19. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I find that U44 R32 is a much better benchmarker.

20. JonnyWhoopes

JonnyWhoopes Premium Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    WCA:
    2011GRAY02
    YouTube:
    JonnyWhoopes
    ...which is why I said most unboxings are not helpful. That doesn't mean we should rule them out of the equation.