• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Prisma Puzzle Timer

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I hadn't noticed that one. On CCT it gives you and average xx solves of yy attempts where the DNFs are left out.
Which Jeremy was trying to fix.

It should be a good representation of a typical time for the session, so some good options are:

- Median
- DNF-dependent trimmed average (where the number of trimmed times from both ends equals the number of DNFs)
- Average of your middle 50% of solves.

Last edited:

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which Jeremy was trying to fix.

It should be a good representation of a typical time for the session, so some good options are:

- Median
- DNF-dependend trimmed average (where the number of trimmed times from both ends equals the number of DNFs)
- Average of your middle 50% of solves.

Yeah, throwing out all DNFs is bad. I would love to see people use Michael Gottlieb's suggestion: Throw out (n/10 rounded up the nearest even number) solves, and average what's left behind. This basically amounts to averaging the middle 90% of solves.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
Awesome timer!

Being the noob I am at reading scrambles, an animated cube scrambling itself as you click it (perhaps with options regarding speed of the animation) would make this pretty much perfect for the less advanced cubers.

Boscotheclown

Absolutely love it! Works with no problems for me. I really like the fact that it has a cube for you to see if you got the scramble right. One thing though is that when I start a new session after a few solves it will sometimes give me a message saying that I have a new personal best for an average of twelve. Even though I haven't even done twelve solves yet. I am assuming that it means the last twelve solves you did from that session and the previous one?

avgdi

WCA
2011VAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't get it to open. I've downloaded it many times and it still just opens to a blank window or it tells me there is an error. I have a mac, has anyone else had this problem?

I'm running it on a mac and it works fine.

This timer is awesome. I never really liked CCT, not sure why. But I think I will use this as my main timer now.

poller

WCA
2010POLL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
amazing timer.. i like it...

but on Ubuntu 10.10 it doesnt work with ma stackmat timer.. cct works fine.. is there maybe any workaround or fix for this problem?

tertius

The timer is great but I can't pull up the times after I close the program. I downloaded H2, but can't seem to figure out how to install it (maybe I have?).

What do I need to do to get it to locate the old times (tried the history menu option)? The completed times database is on my desktop but the extension .h2.db will not open.

aronpm

2 more suggestions:
Make 2x2 scrambles use only RUF, random state, and maybe an option for non-optimal random state.
Make 4x4 scrambles only use the ruf wide turns.

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 more suggestions:
Make 2x2 scrambles use only RUF, random state, and maybe an option for non-optimal random state.
Make 4x4 scrambles only use the ruf wide turns.

Don't you mean sub-optimal 2x2x2 scrambler?

And for the people who says it doesn't save your session... Then yes, it is not supposed to save the session, but it stores your times in a DB so you can view your history/stats for each puzzle (view -> history...). If this doesn't work, then it is a bug :) (it works fine for me :p)

dcrystalj

HI i like it but make inspectation time, and when in full screen mode should be able to resize font of timer (biger 00:00.00)

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Wow, this is really an awesome timer!

I only have problems with the Stackmat timer. The Stackmat works fine in CCT, but I can't get it to work with the Puzzle Timer.

I enabled the Stackmat as the timer trigger and I choose the same input device as in CCT. But when the Stackmat is running, nothing happens in the Puzzle Timer. I also tried all other input devices and they don't work either.

Is there something I'm missing?

Try the other way around. First select the device, then select Options -> Timer trigger -> Stackmat timer.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Since I'll probably be switching to this over CCT for my offline timer, I'll try to be as supportive as possible with bug reports/feature requests.

For now:
  • Easy manual time input (e.g. have "Manual Entry" as a timer trigger and turn the display time into a big input field)
  • Full-screen timing view
  • For partial scrambles, provide a way to see what the last turn is (CCT highlight the turn).
  • Provide a way to copy the scramble (current and past) so that people can share interesting scrambles. Even better, I would love to be able to get to http://alg.garron.us/?alg=&ini=R_U_R-&name=Rubik-s_Cube_Solve_by_Lucas_Garron_on_Nov_27,_2010:_7.52#AlgTyper easily, in order to reconstruct a fast solve I just did - but that's just me.
  • Your Fridrich scrambles are upside-down from how most people use them.
  • 3OP Permutation-only Scramble / Orientation-only scramble
  • Add to tips: M2R2 solver (and maybe BH solver). Possibly expand into other methods/steps, but that's a different issue.
  • Eventually: Configuration. CCT has it for a lot of things, like language, GUI (layout, fonts, background), and statistics. I would say language is the only one that really matters, since internationalization would help it catch on word-wide.
  • Read times/inspection like CCT. A lot of existing voices are here and with CCT 0.9.6, but you'd have a chance to redesign how time reading works.
  • More intuitive management for times, puzzles, histories, sessions. I like CCT's session management, but it's notoriously unreliable.
  • Would be really cool: Doing solves on the 3D displays like the Heise sim. (Ask around if you need to find out the conventional keybindings.)

That's all for now. I'm surprised by how many of the important features from CCT have been implemented here succinctly.

I might like to try to implement some of these myself. What's your build method? It seems there's a .project file for Eclipse.

EDIT: Shelley's post reminds me that I almost forgot: Flight Simulator, please.

Some good ideas here. I'll think about them.

What would be a "more intuitive management for times, puzzles, histories, sessions"? I think the current way is pretty straightforward.

Honest question: what sessions are used for? Why should they span more than one run of the program?

My current deployment method is Export... -> Runnable jar file in Eclipse. It works fine for a solo developer.