• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possible WCA Comp in Chicago Area?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Btw JustinTimeCuber nice avg

For venues Schaumburg Convention Center is a good one. Also, I'm doing research on which events are partaken in the most during competitions, and I'll get back tomorrow with an updated event list.

Kit Clement, I just have a question:

If I'm one of the organizers, am I allowed to be in the competition?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Updated Event List (from data collected from other competitions):
3x3, 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, Skewb, 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, 5x5, Square-1, Megaminx, FMC

First Day:
Check-in (10:00 A.M.)
BLD R1
Megaminx R1
Square-One R1
5x5 R1
OH R1
4x4 R1
Skewb R1
Pyraminx R1
Break
Lunch (Noon)
Break
3x3 R1
2x2 R1
3x3 R2
2x2 R2
Break
OH R2
4x4 R2
Skewb R2
Pyraminx R2
3x3 R3
2x2 R3
FMC
First Day Ending (5:00 P.M.)

Second Day:
Check-in
Lunch (1:00)
3x3 Finals
2x2 Finals
Break
Pyraminx Finals
Skewb Finals
4x4 Finals
OH Finals
Break
5x5 Finals
Square-One Finals
Megaminx Finals
BLD Finals
Awards
Closing Ceremony

Please give some feedback on the event list and schedule.

Last edited:

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I still think that a one day comp would be easier to organize, and that having this many events would make a two day comp even harder to organize. For the event list, a one day competition could have around 6 events, so I'm thinking
3x3-2 rounds
2x2-2 Rounds
4x4-1 round
Skweb-1 round
Megaminx-1 round
Square-1-combined final

YouTube
Visit Channel
I still think that a one day comp would be easier to organize, and that having this many events would make a two day comp even harder to organize. For the event list, a one day competition could have around 6 events, so I'm thinking
3x3-2 rounds
2x2-2 Rounds
4x4-1 round
Skweb-1 round
Megaminx-1 round
Square-1-combined final
Just trust me with this. Two people (more than two if more people wanna help) can easily manage a two-day comp. Also, if we are to do a one-day comp, at least include OH, BLD, and FMC.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Updated Event List (from data collected from other competitions):
3x3, 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, Skewb, 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, 5x5, Square-1, Megaminx, FMC

First Day:
Check-in (10:00 A.M.)
BLD R1
Megaminx R1
Square-One R1
5x5 R1
OH R1
4x4 R1
Skewb R1
Pyraminx R1
Break
Lunch (Noon)
Break
3x3 R1
2x2 R1
3x3 R2
2x2 R2
Break
OH R2
4x4 R2
Skewb R2
Pyraminx R2
3x3 R3
2x2 R3
FMC
First Day Ending (5:00 P.M.)

Second Day:
Check-in
Lunch (1:00)
3x3 Finals
2x2 Finals
Break
Pyraminx Finals
Skewb Finals
4x4 Finals
OH Finals
Break
5x5 Finals
Square-One Finals
Megaminx Finals
BLD Finals
Awards
Closing Ceremony

Please give some feedback on the event list and schedule.

This is absolutely insane. Have you looked at competitions of 150 competitors and seen the time estimates for each of these rounds? You have only seven hours of a time scheduled for day 1, and 2x2 R1 (~1.5 hours), 3x3 R1 (~2 hours), 4x4 R1 (~1.25 hours, with strict cutoffs), Skewb R1 (1 hour), Pyraminx R1 (1.25 hours) already fills that day, with no time to grab lunch.

Delegates in the US are generally reluctant to doing 2-day competitions, let alone ones with inexperienced organizers. The main reason for this is that new organizers are often overambitious and don't realize the amount of work running a competition actually is, and often tire out and lose efficiency by the second day. Try sticking to a 1 day event with maybe 5 events for your first time, as the others in this thread have advised.

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
You guys are doing things backwards. Before you settle on a competitor limit and decide registration costs, you need to find a venue and determine its costs and how many competitors you can have in the space. Determining a competitor limit without a venue is ridiculous.
Oh, ok, I thought that determining a competitor limit would help us find an appropriate venue, than, using the price of that venue, we could decide on the registration costs. Oh well, I've never hosted a comp before so I guess I was bound to make a mistake somewhere.
I'll start looking for a venue then.

aybuck37

WCA
2015BUCK03
Maybe you could talk to the organizers at the 2 comps coming up. They could probably help find a venue and stuff better than we could. I'm sure they have already asked around at certain places! :)

Doing Cubing

WCA
2017CALA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe you could talk to the organizers at the 2 comps coming up. They could probably help find a venue and stuff better than we could. I'm sure they have already asked around at certain places! :)
I am going to Bulldog cubing 2017, and will register for Chicaghosts 2017 tomorrow, so I definitely will try to talk to the organizers to find a venue and staff. Are you going to any of them?

ARandomCuber

We need some comps closer to central Illinois! Dixon is perfect for where I am at, but there are only 1-2 a year. There are a few cities like Bloomington or Peoria that have plenty of venues.

YouTube
Visit Channel
For small comps, I think Chicago is a good place but for bigger ones I personally think University of Illinois - Champaign is perfect. However, we're doing a small one so Chicago it is. I'm going to Chicaghosts and possibly Bulldog Cubing (Oak Lawn is supposed to be pretty dangerous with some of the highest murder rates, so my parents are skeptic). Odeum Expo is #1 for cheap venues. Also, Roberto Clemente HS is decent as well. I'm coming back with a reasonable schedule in a couple days.

EDIT: Event List: 3x3, 2x2, Pyraminx, 4x4, Skewb, OH, FMC

Schedule:
Check-in (10:00 AM)
Pyraminx
2x2 R1
Lunch (1:00 PM)
3x3 R1
4x4 R1 simultaneously with OH
Skewb
3x3 R2
2x2 Finals right before 4x4 Finals
3x3 Finals
FMC
Dinner
Awards (9:00 PM)

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Note: The schedule is in the post above.

We have a schedule and events list, so we need to find a venue and after that, determine a competitor limit, get sponsored, and get catering. Also, we need a delegate, so if you are a WCA delegate please post a reply on the thread.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Note: The schedule is in the post above.

We have a schedule and events list, so we need to find a venue and after that, determine a competitor limit, get sponsored, and get catering. Also, we need a delegate, so if you are a WCA delegate please post a reply on the thread.
I think you'll have more success reaching out to delegates directly. Your local delegates may not check this thread.