• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possible Minnesota cube meet/competition

Would you come to the cube meet up/competition?

• Only if it was a cube meet.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been thinking of having a cube meet/competition in Hastings, Minnesota (or around that area) for a while and decided to get more into it. I want to know how many people would come.

I have a few places in mind:

The Hastings Highschool (it's commons). It can hold around 500 (might have to check again) people, so it may be too big and "spread out".

The Pleasant Hill library (conference room). I do not know how many people it can hold (pretty sure its over 25), but I will find out in a day or two.

P.S. I'm hoping to have it during December or (very) early January, because of winter break. I may not get everything done in time, and if it is an official competition, I don't think people will have enough time to plan. Also people may be gone (vacation or something). The time will most likely change, so don't say you can't come if you'll be gone in December. Say if you WOULD come.

What do you guys think?

-Logan Kelly

EDIT: Poll added. (so I can count easier)

Last edited:

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
I've been thinking of having a cube meet/competition in Hastings, Minnesota (or around that area) for a while and decided to get more into it. I want to know how many people would come.

The Hastings Highschool (it's commons). It can hold around 500 (might have to check again) people, so it may be too big and "spread out".

The Pleasant Hill library (conference room). I do not know how many people it can hold (pretty sure its over 25), but I will find out in a day or two.

P.S. I'm hoping to have it during December or (vary) early January, because of winter break. I may not get everything done in time, and if it is an official competition, I don't think people will have enough time to plan. Also people may be gone (vacation or something). The time will most likely change, so don't say you can't come if you'll be gone in December. Say if you WOULD come.

What do you guys think?

-Logan Kelly

It's too late to do anything in December, you'd have to do it in January. I would check with the venues. See how much they cost and if they allow you to collect any registration fee.

Also, if you want it to be official, work with me to make sure the date doesn't conflict with anything I have going on (not just cube related, but my own private life).

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

P.S. I'm hoping to have it during December or (vary) early January, because of winter break. I may not get everything done in time, and if it is an official competition, I don't think people will have enough time to plan. Also people may be gone (vacation or something). The time will most likely change, so don't say you can't come if you'll be gone in December. Say if you WOULD come.

What do you guys think?

-Logan Kelly

It's too late to do anything in December, you'd have to do it in January. I would check with the venues. See how much they cost and if they allow you to collect any registration fee.

Also, if you want it to be official, work with me to make sure the date doesn't conflict with anything I have going on (not just cube related, but my own private life).

Ok, I just called the library, and they have a conference room, that could hold everyone. It is free, but could not be used for a profit.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

What do you guys think?

-Logan Kelly

Ok, I just called the library, and they have a conference room, that could hold everyone. It is free, but could not be used for a profit.

You could say it's a fundraiser for future competitions & put it towards another minnesota competition (MOA).

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

What do you guys think?

-Logan Kelly

You could say it's a fundraiser for future competitions & put it towards another minnesota competition (MOA).

Is there going to be one at MOA? That would be a great venue.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there going to be one at MOA? That would be a great venue.

Hopefully. Bryan told me a couple months ago we needed fundraiser competitions, so this could be one of them. I'm holding an Iowa Open in the spring (with help from Bryan) as another one.

Last edited:

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
*Stopping the quote tree*

I just looked at their policies.

~# Meeting rooms are available free of charge to non-profit groups. Meeting rooms are not available for commercial groups or commercial use. No monies may be collected, except to defray the cost of presenting programs.

I think they would allow us to collect money for the cost of running it, but maybe not fund raising. I'll contact them again.

EDIT: Are we a non-profit organization (registered with the state of Minnesota)? If not, then we can't use that place.

Last edited:

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01

How big is that conference room?

Also, we're not a 501c3 non-profit, but the extra fees aren't use for my own personal reasons. They're used for equipment, batteries, paper, etc. For some competitions (like the charity Cubetcha) ended up using some of the older funding, but we can't really hold those kind of things all the time without some profit-building competitions.

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also, we're not a 501c3 non-profit, but the extra fees aren't use for my own personal reasons. They're used for equipment, batteries, paper, etc. For some competitions (like the charity Cubetcha) ended up using some of the older funding, but we can't really hold those kind of things all the time without some profit-building competitions.

I told her (the librarian person) that the money would go towards other events, and this one. She was very interested in making sure we had a certified document, saying we were non-profit. We can take money for the running cost of THAT comp only. We can't take money for other comps.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I told her (the librarian person) that the money would go towards other events, and this one. She was very interested in making sure we had a certified document, saying we were non-profit. We can take money for the running cost of THAT comp only. We can't take money for other comps.

You could charge very little, just enough for that competition, but ask for donations towards future events at registration.

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. The school was closed during break. I'm going to talk to them soon after the break. The situation with the library is: We can have the comp there, but we can't make any money. We MIGHT be able to take money for running costs, but not for fundraising for other comps.