• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Possible Cubing Competition in Solon, Iowa

KottenCube

WCA
2012KOTT01
This event is in the beginning stages and would be held on April 6th. If the 6th doesn't work well for a majority(Saturday right after Easter) a backup day is on April 27th. I would want to know if you would be interested in attending this competition. All now is it to be approved by the WCA board and is pending if Bryan Logan will go.
If interested contact me at my email [email protected] or reply to this thread. Also for a sense of location Solon, Iowa is right between Cedar Rapids, IA and Iowa City, IA. More updates will follow. Below are events that would be in the competition and other possible events. (Note the events listed may not appear in the final schedule so don't get your hopes up)

Events
Fewest Moves
2x2
3x3
OH 3x3
Blind 3x3
4x4 (one of the first two solves must be under 2:00 to complete an average of 5)
5x5 (one of the first two solves must be under 4:00 to complete an average of 5)
Pyraminx

Possible Events(if time prevails or demand for it is high)
Square-1
6x6 (first solve must be under 6:00 to complete a mean of 3)
7x7 (first solve must be under 8:00 to complete a mean of 3)
Megaminx
4x4 Blind
5x5 Blind

Last edited:

Isaac Paurus

Probably coming. If I don't meet the "cut off" for 5x5, would that just mean I don't get on to the second round, or what does that mean?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably coming. If I don't meet the "cut off" for 5x5, would that just mean I don't get on to the second round, or what does that mean?

A cutoff refers to a speed that one of your first two solves needs to be or else you don't get to finish your average. It's also called a soft cutoff, while a hard cutoff is one where if you get to that time you do not get to complete your solve.

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A cutoff refers to a speed that one of your first two solves needs to be or else you don't get to finish your average. It's also called a soft cutoff, while a hard cutoff is one where if you get to that time you do not get to complete your solve.

I was hoping you were going to say that you would make another trip out to Iowa! :p

Isaac Paurus

So I would only get 2 5x5 solves if I didn't meet the soft cut off?

KottenCube

WCA
2012KOTT01
Dates for the Competition have been narrowed down to 3. They are April 6, April 13, and April 27. May can't work due to graduation.
Hey anyone know how to get a hold off Bryan Logan? Its been 4 weeks since I last heard from him and he is the one that makes this competition official or not.

Last edited: