• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

plusTimer - Open Source Android Timer with TNoodle Scrambles

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone!
plusTimer is an Android timer that I am developing. Suggestions are more than welcome. If you would like to email me: [email protected]

plusTimer-feature.png

Direct APK Downloads and Changelog
If you find a bug, please tell me or file an issue on GitHub. Thank you!

Current beta version: 0.3.0-beta2
Join beta testing here: Google Play Opt-in. Beta releases may be unstable and corrupt your solves. Please join only if you understand the risks and want to help development.

Add your Translations: CrowdIn
Open Source Code: GitHub Repo

Current Features:
  • Polished design following Material Design guidelines
  • WCA scramble program using the official tnoodle-android library
  • Timer - 0.001 or 0.01 seconds accuracy
  • Session management features, including saving, sharing, and viewing the current/history sessions
  • Best and Current Ao5/Ao12/Ao100/Ao1000; Best Solve/Worst Solve/Mean/Average
  • Scramble Images - Press action bar button to view, press anywhere onscreen to dismiss
  • Viewing solves' timestamp, scramble, and changing/viewing penalty
  • 15s Inspection and/or Hold To Start (Configure in Settings)
  • Two row time display
  • Customize timer text size
  • Graph and stats (such as PB and PB averages) in the History page[/URL]

Forum threads elsewhere:

Mofangluntan (Chinese)
Mf8 (Chinese)

Last edited:

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is going to be great. With Speedcube Timer, I never can go back and see the previous scrambles. Like when I get a pb (which is very rare these days) I like to go back and see what the scramble was so I can keep a record with my times. I hope this is something you incorporate in your program. It seems like that would be an obvious feature, wanting to see old scrambles alongside the old times; am I the only person who would want this? And there is always the possibility that this function exists on Speedcube Timer and I just don't know how to use the application to its full capability. But either way I look forward to using this new timer and congrats on making something that is very needed. Keep up the good work.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is going to be great. With Speedcube Timer, I never can go back and see the previous scrambles. Like when I get a pb (which is very rare these days) I like to go back and see what the scramble was so I can keep a record with my times. I hope this is something you incorporate in your program. It seems like that would be an obvious feature, wanting to see old scrambles alongside the old times; am I the only person who would want this? And there is always the possibility that this function exists on Speedcube Timer and I just don't know how to use the application to its full capability. But either way I look forward to using this new timer and congrats on making something that is very needed. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! :) Yes, that is definitely a feature I've had in mind and will implement.

I'm super excited to see a timer for android with proper scrambles! Thanks for working on this. Let me know if you need help with scramble images.

Well, I based most of the scrambler code on the tnt-android project, and the code for images doesn't look too hard. I'll let you know if I have difficulty. Thanks!

==================================

I released the version 0.0.1 development apk. Please check the first post for download link. I think it's definitely usable right now, but I will be continually adding features. There will probably be bugs, so if you find any please tell me. Thanks!

Last edited:

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just installed on my phone and I really like it. The only thing that bothers me is the time it takes for the scramble to generate. Overall, great timer.

Thanks! I will test this on other phones (mine is fairly recent, and generates 3x3 scrambles in about 0.7 seconds). I think a potential solution is to always have a bucket of 10 scrambles generated and saved on the phone.
I'll keep you updated!

===================

v0.0.2 development is released: Added scramble images - Press action bar button to view, press anywhere onscreen to dismiss.

Bhargav777

OH friendly please
WCA
2011NARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just love the timer, simple but awesome. Uninstalled the other timers from my mobile. Thanks a lot.
Will it be possible to add +2/DNF, reset session options?
Also, Options for session scrambles and atleast 2-3 sessions?
The timer crashes once I go to another task and come back, can that be fixed too?

Last edited:

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just love the timer, simple but awesome. Uninstalled the other timers from my mobile. Thanks a lot.
Will it be possible to add +2/DNF, reset session options?
Also, Options for session scrambles and atleast 2-3 sessions?
The timer crashes once I go to another task and come back, can that be fixed too?

All of those features are planned, except for multiple sessions (depending on what you mean by that). I am going to be implementing a session system where you finish one and submit it to a database, where there will be your list of previous sessions/graphs/stats. It will be similar to the session-saving features of gqtimer: http://gqtimer.kungfoomanchu.com/

I haven't tested the app on many devices, so thank you very much for reporting that bug. I added a version of my app that will report the crash log to me (so I can see what went wrong), but it requires internet permission. If you don't mind that, you may download that version from the download link in the first post and reproduce the crash. Thanks!

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! I will test this on other phones (mine is fairly recent, and generates 3x3 scrambles in about 0.7 seconds). I think a potential solution is to always have a bucket of 10 scrambles generated and saved on the phone.
I'll keep you updated!

===================

v0.0.2 development is released: Added scramble images - Press action bar button to view, press anywhere onscreen to dismiss.
You could generate scrambles during the solve.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could generate scrambles during the solve.

That is the current implementation. I think storing one/a few pre-generated scramble(s) will be helpful for starting up the app (so then it can just load one up). I may also implement random move scramble generators for all puzzles (non-WCA but much faster) that you can select.

Bhargav777

OH friendly please
WCA
2011NARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
All of those features are planned, except for multiple sessions (depending on what you mean by that). I am going to be implementing a session system where you finish one and submit it to a database, where there will be your list of previous sessions/graphs/stats. It will be similar to the session-saving features of gqtimer: http://gqtimer.kungfoomanchu.com/

I haven't tested the app on many devices, so thank you very much for reporting that bug. I added a version of my app that will report the crash log to me (so I can see what went wrong), but it requires internet permission. If you don't mind that, you may download that version from the download link in the first post and reproduce the crash. Thanks!

I tried doing it, but it gives me no option to report the bug. My Internet was on that time, not sure if you'll be automatically reported incase of bugs.
Multiple sessions, where in, I can do 2x2 in one session and without resetting the session, I can just start a new session to do some other event, like in jjtimer. Would be great if you can come up with the implementations pretty fast! Thanks.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried doing it, but it gives me no option to report the bug. My Internet was on that time, not sure if you'll be automatically reported incase of bugs.
Multiple sessions, where in, I can do 2x2 in one session and without resetting the session, I can just start a new session to do some other event, like in jjtimer. Would be great if you can come up with the implementations pretty fast! Thanks.

Crashes are reported automatically. I got yours. Looks like a nasty bug... I'll have to look into it. Sessions right now are specific to each type of puzzle, and is one session each, which means you can switch puzzles without loosing your times. I will look into implementing multiple sessions for each type of puzzle. Thanks!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Installing it. Will do some tests. Will keep you updated!
Does it have that feature?
Drop to Stop like in fivetimer ? I would love that feature :)

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Installing it. Will do some tests. Will keep you updated!
Does it have that feature?
Drop to Stop like in fivetimer ? I would love that feature :)

Right now it's still in its "baby-stages" :p I'm still adding essential features like penalty and session-saving. I will add that to my todo list. Thanks for the suggestion!

========================

v0.0.3 is released with bug fixes for crashing after restarting the app (thanks to Bhargav777!)

From now on there will be two versions (for the development phase at least): normal and no-bug-report. The normal version requires permission to access the Internet to report crashes to me. If you are OK with it, I highly appreciate it if you use this version!
If you would prefer not to, the no-bug-report version is available too and doesn't require permission for Internet access.

EDIT: Never mind, 0.0.3 normal version's bug reporting is broken, so I've removed that. There is only the no-bug-report version for 0.0.3

Last edited:

Bhargav777

OH friendly please
WCA
2011NARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now it's still in its "baby-stages" :p I'm still adding essential features like penalty and session-saving. I will add that to my todo list. Thanks for the suggestion!

========================

v0.0.3 is released with bug fixes for crashing after restarting the app (thanks to Bhargav777!)

From now on there will be two versions (for the development phase at least): normal and no-bug-report. The normal version requires permission to access the Internet to report crashes to me. If you are OK with it, I highly appreciate it if you use this version!
If you would prefer not to, the no-bug-report version is available too and doesn't require permission for Internet access.

Yes, I switched tabs yesterday and was surprised not to get any crashes :) thanks.
Will it be possible to add export sessions option? Or atleast, copy to clip board option?

Cuber9991

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll keep you updated!

It's not really 3x3 scrambles that take a while. I have a recent phone and they only take about that time too. I mean like big cube scrambles such as megaminx and 7x7. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. :)

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I switched tabs yesterday and was surprised not to get any crashes :) thanks.
Will it be possible to add export sessions option? Or atleast, copy to clip board option?
That'll definitely be added in the future.

It's not really 3x3 scrambles that take a while. I have a recent phone and they only take about that time too. I mean like big cube scrambles such as megaminx and 7x7. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. :)

Ah OK. Yes, they do take quite a while. My plan is to include a random move scrambler for all of the puzzles.

===========================

School projects have been holding me back a bit, so updates might be a bit slow from now to middle of May. Thanks for everyone's support!

v0.0.4 is released with support for penalty. Touch any solve in the list at the bottom, and you will be able to select the penalty in a drop-down menu.
As always, the link to the GitHub releases page is in the first post.