PLL pattern recognition sheet. Marked headlights n blocks etc. (As seen in Bad's vid)

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by rishidoshi, Dec 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Sep 6, 2010
    WCA:
    2011DOSH01
    YouTube:
    rishidoshi
    Hey guys
    I've made a small little excel (and pdf) file after watching badmephisto's PLL Recognition video.
    I have sketched the recognizable patterns and made them in a customisable, printable format using excel. here's a sample...
    [​IMG]
    The original excel file is available for download on my blog.
    This is obviously intended for people who are starting to learn the PLLs.
    Kinda replacement for the marker pens used by many of us to mark these patterns :p
    Please comment & share.
    Cheers!

EDIT: Just for the sake of completion,
    a video on how to determine the direction of corner swap for E perm
    No voice in this as i shot it using a mobile camera which was held in my mouth lol :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  2. oll+phase+sync

oll+phase+sync Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I believe this really can help recognition (the yellow sqares didn't help me much)

I would in addtion mark (may be with one arrow) the way a block/layer starts moving, that helped me a lot to distinguish similar cases. But that obviously depends on the algs one learns.

3. StachuK1992

StachuK1992 statue

Jul 24, 2008
    West Chester, PA
    WCA:
    2008KORI02
    YouTube:
    StachuK1992
    Ah, that's pretty nice!
    I like how the corners are "star'd in" when they're not moving. :)

4. Cyrus C.

Cyrus C. Member

Oct 17, 2009
    IOWA
    WCA:
    2010COLA01
    YouTube:
    CyroKarat
    Very good. I found these patterns on my own when learning PLLs and I'm sure many others did as well. I'm unsure as to whether finding the patterns myself was beneficial at all, thoughts? Either way I'm loving all the teaching stuff you're releasing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. Godmil

Godmil Premium Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    YouTube:
    Godmil
    Looks like you're after Badmephisto's crown as the best source for speedcubing beginners. :)

6. cuberr

cuberr Member

Oct 23, 2010
    This is so incredibly helpful. I just started learning full PLL and was slightly confused by looking at just the arrows.

7. ~Phoenix Death~

~Phoenix Death~ Member

Oct 3, 2009
    LOL STALKER
    WCA:
    2010LECA01
    YouTube:
    FirefoxFreeze
    Awesome! It feels so interactice.

8. FatBoyXPC

FatBoyXPC Member

Nov 28, 2009
    WCA:
    2010LACH01
    YouTube:
    fatboyxpc
    My friend Spencer Thompson is also just now learning full PLL, and is finding some of the recognition a bit much of a handful at first. I'll be linking him to this :)

9. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Sep 6, 2010
    WCA:
    2011DOSH01
    YouTube:
    rishidoshi
    Good idea. i used to mark those x and x' rotation arrows for A and E when i was learning. (hence put that notation image for rotations :p took a while for me to get the x,y,z right)

i like ur signature.

thanks buddy. btw i think its good u found them on ur own. stays deep rooted in it. :)

:D Hell no! but i do like ur comment. i drifted into this fantasy world for a minute. but then i saw my times :p lol.

thanks everybody for your nice comments. i appreciate them all !
    cheers!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Sep 6, 2010
    WCA:
    2011DOSH01
    YouTube:
    rishidoshi
    btw apart from these, are there any more patterns that you guys use to recognize the perms? if so pls share.

11. Cyrus C.

Cyrus C. Member

Oct 17, 2009
    IOWA
    WCA:
    2010COLA01
    YouTube:
    CyroKarat
    I think some people recognise A perms by opposite colours, but looking for headlights is probably more beginner friendly.

12. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Sep 6, 2010
    WCA:
    2011DOSH01
    YouTube:
    rishidoshi
    Hi everybody.
    I just made a little video for determinig the corner swap direction for the E perm.
    We all know the logic behind it. I just made it in a video format for the sake of completion.
    It is edited in the Original Post. Please share with newbies :)
    thanks.