• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Perth Winter Open 2015, Western Australia

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
why does the speedcubing Australia site have 2-5 OH pyra and bld but the wca page only has 2-4 OH and pyra?
I know it says potentially 5x5 and bld but why are they on the speedcubing Australia site as events you can register for?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
why does the speedcubing Australia site have 2-5 OH pyra and bld but the wca page only has 2-4 OH and pyra?
I know it says potentially 5x5 and bld but why are they on the speedcubing Australia site as events you can register for?

We always have guaranteed events and possible events. I don't know what your opinion is, but I think it's a good idea to get people to register for possible events before the competition as well. They know it isn't guaranteed but if they put their name down they can have the chance. Also we use that information to build the schedule a week before the competition starts. That's just the way we've always done things here.

FYI I would strongly suspect we end up doing all the possible events with an expected low turnout.

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
We always have guaranteed events and possible events. I don't know what your opinion is, but I think it's a good idea to get people to register for possible events before the competition as well. They know it isn't guaranteed but if they put their name down they can have the chance. Also we use that information to build the schedule a week before the competition starts. That's just the way we've always done things here.

FYI I would strongly suspect we end up doing all the possible events with an expected low turnout.

fair enough, that isn't the way we do it in the UK, but I feel like if you go from continent to continent competitions will differ in some aspect or another. for example in the UK there is a fixed registration fee while in America the registration fee differs depending on what events you do, and then there's the possible events in Australia and I don't think anywhere else in the world does possible events, it doesn't matter anyway as long as it's a competition

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
New Zealand does it too :p

haha I guess, I'll try it again "I don't think anywhere else in the world does possible events besides this part of the world"
Also my cousin goes to the university of western Australia and he has a lecture in the same building the competition is in, so it's possible you might see him come in and have a look at how competitions are run

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
There's a non-zero chance I'll be coming to this :)

Hopefully there will be someone there I will dare to talk to :p
Okay, I'm definitely going for this.

Having never been to a country during winter, how cold will the competition venue be compared to a typical air conditioned room? Will there be heaters? Sorry if this may be a silly question.

Last edited:

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Perth is often warm in Winter, and if it was freezing, the comp is indoors so you'd probably be fine.
I think our definitions of 'warm' are quite different :p

Win every event you compete it? I did it (if you exclude magic which I had the fastest single for...)
I'll try! Who knows, some of the people who have registered may have greatly improved since 2011.
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=PerthSummerOpen2011
Pyra/4x4/BLD are your weak points based on the psych sheet (though it uses an old export)
BLD probably won't be held looking at the registrations so far...

EeeeeWarne

WCA
2011HOLL04
Perth can have quite variable winters. Sometimes it can be mid-twenties and everyone is in t-shirts, or it could be 10 degrees and freezing cold (by Perth standards, although not freezing in the sense that water will freeze). Generally the weather won't change suddenly though, which is a positive I guess. I did a unit with a lecture in the location that the comp is being held in last year and it's generally slightly warmer than outside in winter - and a pair of jeans and a light jumper will mean you're warm inside (and unless you get one of the ~14 days a year when it is really cold for Perth, you'll be warm outside too). But Perth weather is very mild (in winter), it is after all a city where it going below 0 degrees will make the front page of the paper.

I unfortunately won't be able to make this competition - the first competition in Perth in over 3 years happens to be when I'm away! A real shame as well because I've more than halved my times in most events. Judging by registration numbers it hopefully looks like there'll be enough demand for another one.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
Errrrr because guysensei1 is from Singapore (where temperatures are generally >30 degrees) I think it's safe to say that mid 20s can be considered relatively cold.

ghammy

Okay, I'm definitely going for this.

Awesome! Look forward to meeting you :).

BLD probably won't be held looking at the registrations so far...
Really hoping we will be able to do it, even if it is during lunch or something. Would love to get an official single!

We have hit the 40 competitor limit, which honestly i didn't expect to get near which is great!
Should be an absolute cracker of a day :)

ghammy

Can't believe it's only 2 days away!
Goals: single/average
2x2 : meh
3x3: sub 23/sub 25/get to second round
4x4: sub 1:20/sub1:30
3BLD: success
Pyra: meh