[Help Thread] Organizing official WCA competitions

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Novriil, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    So.. Today we (not defining with who) decided that we should make Estonian comp.. But when we make it then we will need a WCA judge/judges.. How can you make it? Because We think that we could make it but the only thing is the WCA delegate. How much and how can we get them here??

thanks, dumb question I guess but really important.

2. byu

byu Member

Dec 18, 2008
    California
    WCA:
    2009YUBR01
    YouTube:
    bldmaster
  3. dudemanpp

dudemanpp Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Summerfield, Florida
    WCA:
    2008FOST01
    YouTube:
    dudemanpp
  4. Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner Member

Dec 31, 2008
    new yowk, new yowk
    WCA:
    2008WAGN01
    YouTube:
    ihaterubikscubes
    Finally, a not n00by thread.

I wish you the best of luck in your competition.

5. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    thanks, but can do I need a tournament display?? (100 dollars :fp:confused::eek:) or can I be without, or can I use those mini displays, or can I even use a computer.. Like 3 timers and I think I can arrange 3 laptops at each table. or maybe I can even be totally without?? Only timers?

And the mat under the timer.. Do I need those or can I be without..

6. mcciff2112

mcciff2112 Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    WCA:
    2009MCCA01
    Contact SpeedStacks, they can provide you with the timers and displays for the competition. I think you might have to pay for them to be shipped though?

7. DavidWoner

DavidWoner The Punchmaster

May 7, 2008
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    WCA:
    2008WONE01
    YouTube:
    vault312
    In the US the delegate usually provides them. I would stop asking questions here and just email Ron van Bruchem immediately.

8. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Try checking the official regulations. Those are the only rules you have to follow.
    If you need a delegate and there is none in the area you might be out of luck though.

9. coinman

coinman Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    WCA:
    2005GUST02
    Maybe a swedish or finish delegate can help with this, i will ask the swedish ones (there are two of them).

Both in finland and in sweden there are displays that could be used depending on which delegate who can come.

I will try to go my self if it's possible, some weekends i work. If go i can probably bring some displays.

10. Bryan

Bryan Premium Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    WCA:
    2007LOGA01
    Have you attended a competition yet? It'll be hard to organize if you don't know what to expect. Experiencing a competition is very helpful.

http://www.cubingusa.com/cguide.php might have some good information.

11. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    I already talked with Petri Vanhala (Finland delegate) a bit. We have talked about Finnish Open too a bit so I knew his address. And he was very friendly and helpful. Also I'm trying to go to Finnish Open to see how does it work and stuff.

Also thanks for the title change :) It was bad before.

And Bryan - The same story on a different page is in the first 3 posts somewhere and I've already read it. Thanks anyway.

12. Ton

Ton Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Den Haag, The Netherlands
    WCA:
    2003DENN01
    YouTube:
    tonixcube
    Nice to hear from someone that wants to organize
    1) Contact the WCA or a WCA delegate (you did already) to have an idea about the regulations
    2) Judge , well the competitors can be the judges
    Officially you only need the timers , the displays are optional , the mini displays are fine

First think you need is a venue and 12 competitors and some others for the organization

From there you can chase a WCA delegate. I would advice an organizing team of three.
    I do the Czech Open by myself , but only because Jozef and Milan did some score taking I could do some events.

In many countries the Rubik distributer could help, is the Rubik available in Estonia?

13. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    There's one shop which sells rubik's stuff.. pretty expensive but still. they sell 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 (all with HUGE price) and they aren't really good. I'm going to contact them when I am sure that we can get the venue.

That's great that we don't need displays :)

And also I'm organizing but I want to compete myself too so my brother is happy to organize as well. So I'll just "help" him :)

14. coinman

coinman Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    WCA:
    2005GUST02
    Will it be in Tallinn? I hope so sins it's easy to get there. I also have friends in Tallinn and it's possible that i can ask them to help with a venue, but i'm not sure if they can help.

15. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    No. I'm thinking more like Kose. Where I live. Few KM from here is Kehra. Lots of active cubers are from there. It easy to get them here and it's only 40 KM from Tallinn on the biggest road on Estonia. From the port You can get here with less than 30 min. most of it goes in the town :D

In Kose we might get support from our local government and get a bit money. Also because many NR-s are coming to Kose by my plans :) It would be a great advertise for Kose and when it isn't too expensive to kose then I guess they allow that. I think that if possible the best venue will be the school. Don't know the word but where are all the plays and the biggest room after gym :) (gym has too much echo) and we can eat in school cafeteria. So it would be great in there!

If we can't make it in Kose we will definitely try to make it in Tallinn

16. Novriil

Novriil Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Estonia
    WCA:
    2009KRUU01
    YouTube:
    ukx14
    Yeah.. when I was banned then something great happened!

1) School is more than happy to help us
    2) Kose government is okay with that.
    3) wombat.pri.ee is up soon with Estonian Championship 2009 info.

Some bad things:
    1) Our budget is bad.. (-6800 crowns goes and we still haven't found any income except the money from the people who compete.)
    2) We still need some stuff.

So I ask for help!
    Where is the best place to order 3 stackmats (those what can be on a comp), 5 BLD those things, 5 cube-hiders and.. wait. Do I need something more? :)

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  17. Radu

Radu Premium Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    WCA:
    2009FACI01
    YouTube:
    speedcubingro
    I'm in a similar situation as you...for Romania. But i don't plan anything official for 2009. I think I'll wait 2010. I might ask for your help and some advices over a few months :). Hope you will help and also that you will succeed with the competition in Estonia.

18. CharlieCooper

CharlieCooper Premium Member

Mar 18, 2008
    UK - Bristol
    WCA:
    2007COOP01
    YouTube:
    rxbeef
    i just organised my first competition. i would love to go to estonia, so if you have this competition i expect i will come depending on my availability.

first thing to do is find a venue, book it in advance.

everything else can be done in the weeks before, such as making score cards, name tags. you will also need a website with the details on. for me, the biggest issue was to find a venue.

19. Kit Clement

Kit Clement Premium Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Portland, OR
    WCA:
    2008CLEM01
    YouTube:
    kippy33
    Yeah, once you find a venue/willing delegate and have the funds to cover expenses, everything about running a competition is all downhill from there on out.

20. Bryan

Bryan Premium Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    WCA:
    2007LOGA01
    Looking online, this translates to around $600. Are you saying you've already spent $600 on stuff?

The delegate might be able to bring timers, check with them. BLD things? You mean the sheets of paper? Or the blindfolds? You don't need cube hiders, just use the scoresheet.