• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Optimal algorithm for 'spreading' lube around the cube

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder, what's the optimal algorithm (or which ones) to spread the lube applied on the RUF and BLD (wow blind) corners?
Is it R2 L2 U2 D2 F4 B4 D2 U2 L2 R2 (10 moves HTM)? Of course slice moves count as 2 moves in the HTM.
The final state must be a solved cube.

The algorithm must spread the lube perfectly, or equally, on every piece of the cube.

Neat challenge, isn't it?

MoFoYa

What's wrong with turning each face, scrambling, and solving? ... Done

EminentCuber

I don't think it's important, honestly. After enough scrambles and solves, which is probably between less than say...8, the lube will be spread so evenly, it won't matter.

I suppose it is possible, but a waste of time.

How do you know if it spreads the lube properly? Does M4 E4 S4 work?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.

anyway, a few scrambles and CFOP solves should be effective. I hope I helped.
~EminentCuber

EminentCuber

I think the point is a more theoretical approach. If the universe was going to explode unless you optimally spread the lube around your cube, what would you do? It's a pretty good question actually. I'll think on it for a while. :)
Yes, so have I. The one thing though that stands as a barrier is that you've only lubed one face, so it would distribute very weirdly.

For this model, I assumed that each time a turn was made it took half the lube it already had and spread it. I generally quantified lube by how much is at each intersection (you know, those holes in the cube.)

And, responding to this thread on a whole: this question is rather theoretical. A few scrambles and CFOP solves would be just fine. Perhaps that would be even better, however, because moves that you repeat a lot like L, R, and U would have more lube because you use those more.

anyway, this is an interesting question. A very interesting one indeed.
~EminentCuber