• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

BlakeJ

I can solve a cube in about 35ish seconds with two hands. I know 2 Look OLL and full PLL. Ive been wanting to learn how to sove the cube with using only one hand. How is this accomplished? I use my left hand but my hand often gets tired or I forget the algorithms. How do you get better at this? Are there such things as one handed algoritms?

skeletonboy

You really just solve it like you would with 2 hands except with one hand. There may be some moves that are hard to do such as the H perm, so you may want to switch to the H perm that uses mainly R(R')and U(U').
Really you want most of your solve to be R or U (vice versa), as you see a lot of pro one handed cubers learn tricks to do one handed solving in specific parts such as F2L inserts or algorithms. Here's a video to get you started that I found decent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgNTRScM8s
Here is another video that I found useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNadLHV7gbY

And this website also includes F2L, OLL, PLL, algorithms: http://loftycuber.110mb.com/index.html

For those algorithms you really just need to re-memorize the algorithms just the way you did when you were using 2 handed Fridrich.
You really just need to practice to "accomplish" it, you can average sub 1 min using 2 handed fridrich method, but if you want to get serious, you may want to focus, practice, learn and memorize again like you have done in 2 handed fridrich. Practice practice practice.

Also, there's this thread is mainly for RSI or other diagnosis, but it includes some stretches too: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...and-pain-related-to-cubing-and-other-activies

This is the basic info in the wiki about OH: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/One-Handed_Solving

EDIT: ninja'd

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
There may be some moves that are hard to do such as the H perm, so you may want to switch to the H perm that uses mainly R(R')and U(U').

Actually H-perm one-handed is really nice :)
Place the cube on the table with the top face on front, holding it in an angle of about 45°. You can easily do the standard 2-handed fingertricks. The table will prevent the right layer to move while you do the M-moves.

skeletonboy

Actually H-perm one-handed is really nice :)
Place the cube on the table with the top face on front, holding it in an angle of about 45°. You can easily do the standard 2-handed fingertricks. The table will prevent the right layer to move while you do the M-moves.

I'm quite sure most people would just prefer to do: R2 U2 R U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 R2 rather than that.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
I'm quite sure most people would just prefer to do: R2 U2 R U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 R2 rather than that.
Actually no, you can't say you are quite sure, whats your evidence in that?
Many people do it the way Goosly described. Don't assume so much.

More On Topic: I read the wiki and it said that practicing algs or simply scrambling one handed and doing different combinations of R's and U's will increase your speed. Doing it over and over again until you can do it normally. As fr your hand being tired, its like any other muscle, if you work it over and over it gets stronger and stronger.

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
for the cross, is it better to do it with white on D or doesnt matter?

if i learnt one thing in OH, it is to do the cross anywhere.
just do comfortable moves. theoretically you can always hold the cubes in two ways so that your first two moves are R and U-layer turns. (probably you need a z-rotation in between)
now start thinking about double layer moves and you are most likely able to fit in your 3rd move nicely. its only about trying to minimize x and y rotations because they are ugly.

i also use "hand reposition moves" which means i do turns that dont affect the pieces i am solving but places my hand to a better position. but its probably too advanced to think about such stuff if you are not sub20

timeless

YouTube
Visit Channel
if i learnt one thing in OH, it is to do the cross anywhere.
just do comfortable moves. theoretically you can always hold the cubes in two ways so that your first two moves are R and U-layer turns. (probably you need a z-rotation in between)
now start thinking about double layer moves and you are most likely able to fit in your 3rd move nicely. its only about trying to minimize x and y rotations because they are ugly.

i also use "hand reposition moves" which means i do turns that dont affect the pieces i am solving but places my hand to a better position. but its probably too advanced to think about such stuff if you are not sub20

filmed again but better quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2ps4TgbP0

Last edited by a moderator:

Alcuber

WCA
2010WHIT01
My problem is fingertricks

Firstly if you haven't already choose the hand that feels easier for OH solving. Secondly, as with normal 3x3 fingertricks come with practise(maybe just try to practise each turn on OH (like R, F and try to make sure you can turn them well)). You will not improve without practising, so I think you have to practise more than "not alot".

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited by a moderator: