1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by BlakeJ, Jan 28, 2012.

1. BlakeJ

BlakeJ Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I can solve a cube in about 35ish seconds with two hands. I know 2 Look OLL and full PLL. Ive been wanting to learn how to sove the cube with using only one hand. How is this accomplished? I use my left hand but my hand often gets tired or I forget the algorithms. How do you get better at this? Are there such things as one handed algoritms?

2. skeletonboy

skeletonboy Member

Dec 22, 2011
    British Columbia, Canada
    You really just solve it like you would with 2 hands except with one hand. There may be some moves that are hard to do such as the H perm, so you may want to switch to the H perm that uses mainly R(R')and U(U').
    Really you want most of your solve to be R or U (vice versa), as you see a lot of pro one handed cubers learn tricks to do one handed solving in specific parts such as F2L inserts or algorithms. Here's a video to get you started that I found decent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgNTRScM8s
    Here is another video that I found useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNadLHV7gbY

And this website also includes F2L, OLL, PLL, algorithms: http://loftycuber.110mb.com/index.html

For those algorithms you really just need to re-memorize the algorithms just the way you did when you were using 2 handed Fridrich.
    You really just need to practice to "accomplish" it, you can average sub 1 min using 2 handed fridrich method, but if you want to get serious, you may want to focus, practice, learn and memorize again like you have done in 2 handed fridrich. Practice practice practice.

Also, there's this thread is mainly for RSI or other diagnosis, but it includes some stretches too: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...and-pain-related-to-cubing-and-other-activies

This is the basic info in the wiki about OH: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/One-Handed_Solving

EDIT: ninja'd

3. Goosly

Goosly Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Belgium
    WCA:
    2010VERE01
    Actually H-perm one-handed is really nice :)
    Place the cube on the table with the top face on front, holding it in an angle of about 45°. You can easily do the standard 2-handed fingertricks. The table will prevent the right layer to move while you do the M-moves.

Daniel Lin likes this.
  4. skeletonboy

skeletonboy Member

Dec 22, 2011
    British Columbia, Canada
    I'm quite sure most people would just prefer to do: R2 U2 R U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 R2 rather than that.

5. Robocopter87

Robocopter87 Member

Dec 2, 2010
    New York
    WCA:
    2013KUNK01
    Actually no, you can't say you are quite sure, whats your evidence in that?
    Many people do it the way Goosly described. Don't assume so much.

More On Topic: I read the wiki and it said that practicing algs or simply scrambling one handed and doing different combinations of R's and U's will increase your speed. Doing it over and over again until you can do it normally. As fr your hand being tired, its like any other muscle, if you work it over and over it gets stronger and stronger.

Jlvs2run likes this.
  6. tx789

tx789 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    New Zealand
    WCA:
    2010HUNT02
    YouTube:
    thetx789
    Practise turning it is hard to ge used to and then practics solves when 3x3 speed goes down your oh tends to

7. Yuxuibbs

Yuxuibbs Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    WCA:
    2011CHEN54
    YouTube:
    Rainpaw4
    Try to look ahead more. If your TPS was a little faster without ruining look ahead it would be easier to get sub 30 times.

8. whauk

whauk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Germany
    WCA:
    2008KARL02
    YouTube:
    whauk
    if i learnt one thing in OH, it is to do the cross anywhere.
    just do comfortable moves. theoretically you can always hold the cubes in two ways so that your first two moves are R and U-layer turns. (probably you need a z-rotation in between)
    now start thinking about double layer moves and you are most likely able to fit in your 3rd move nicely. its only about trying to minimize x and y rotations because they are ugly.

i also use "hand reposition moves" which means i do turns that dont affect the pieces i am solving but places my hand to a better position. but its probably too advanced to think about such stuff if you are not sub20

9. timeless

timeless Member

Mar 2, 2011
    CANADA
    YouTube:
    pstimeless
    filmed again but better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2ps4TgbP0

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  10. OH Help Thread

Please help me improve and don't just say "PRACTISE" cause I've practised (not alot) and my times are still 2:30secs :fp

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
  11. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    Pick a hand, then learn the algs for OLL/PLL that you can do easier on one hand.
    Practice F2L

But we don't know what's your problem, give more details.

12. Noahaha

Noahaha blindmod

Dec 19, 2011
    CT
    WCA:
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube:
    NoahCubes
    Well there's your problem.

13. My problem is fingertricks

14. Alcuber

Alcuber Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA:
    2010WHIT01
    Firstly if you haven't already choose the hand that feels easier for OH solving. Secondly, as with normal 3x3 fingertricks come with practise(maybe just try to practise each turn on OH (like R, F and try to make sure you can turn them well)). You will not improve without practising, so I think you have to practise more than "not alot".

15. Left hand since i use it to hold the cube

16. CubicNL

CubicNL Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Zutphen
    WCA:
    2011WILD01
    YouTube:
    CubicNL
    What are your normal 3x3 times?

17. HoooneyGuy

HoooneyGuy Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Budapest
    WCA:
    2009BOZS01
    YouTube:
    Hunor Bózsing
  18. That would be about 45secs average

Thanks I'll have a look at that.

The reason I'm not good at OH fingertricks is that I have hands as small as a grade 5 kid (cause I am :) )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012