• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
For one handed solving do you have to keep one hand on the timer the whole time or can you start and stop with 2 hands? I never see anyone doing it but I seem to do it all the time at home

S

Scruggsy13

For one handed solving do you have to keep one hand on the timer the whole time or can you start and stop with 2 hands? I never see anyone doing it but I seem to do it all the time at home

That's just fine. I know some people who take their second hand off the timer while solving to avoid accidentally stopping the timer midway through the solve.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I recently got a stickerless Thunderclap v2. It has a raised logo, (I think) like the Valk. I wanted to use it for blindfolded events so I used sugar to rub off the logo without damaging the center cap to much. However, now the center cap lost its 'glossy' feel, and is super easy to recognize. This, unfortunately also makes it illegal for normal events. If I rub down the centers of the other centers though, it should be legal again. Can I get conformation on the last point?
Block of relevant regs below:

• 3j) Puzzles must be clean, and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damage, or other differences that significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece. Exception: a logo (see Regulation 3l).
    • 3j1) Puzzles are permitted to have reasonable wear, at the discretion of the WCA Delegate.
    • 3j2) Definition: Two pieces are similar to each other if they are identical in shape and size, or mirrored in shape and identical in size.
    • 3j3) Corrugated/textured parts which permit the orientation of pieces to be distinguished by feel are not permitted for blindfolded events.
  • 3k) Puzzles must be approved by the WCA Delegate before use in the competition.
  • 3l2) The logo may be embossed, engraved, or consist of an overlay sticker. Exception: The logo must not be distinguishable by feel for blindfolded events (i.e. no embossings, engravings, or overlay stickers).

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could anyone explain 9b1a and 9b2a?

I can't understand that "X is 1, 2 or 3". How can a round format for ao5 event be best of 1? Or does it mean that it's allowed to host for example 2x2 with just one attempt?

Last edited:

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could anyone explain 9b1a and 9b2a?

I can't understand that "X is 1, 2 or 3". How can a round format for ao5 event be best of 1? Or does it mean that it's allowed to host for example 2x2 with just one attempt?

Yeah, pretty sure it means that the organizer can choose to have a best of 1, best of 2, or best of 3 round if they want to. A best of 1 in 2x2 actually happened a couple times at the 625 comps (this one and this one).

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today at a comp I did a 3x3 solve and when I stopped the timer I dropped the cube on the timer, then it started to fall off so I caught it with my thumbs. What is the penalty for that?
I would say that's probably +2 or DNF, at the discretion of the judge, since you touched the puzzle after stopping the timer. If the judge is convinced there were no moves made after the timer was stopped, a +2 is appropriate. Technically a judge who was paying close attention might be able to claim they fully inspected the puzzle before you touched it, in which case there would be no penalty. But that would be a very unusual thing - normally you would expect +2 or DNF.

It might also be worth asking if it's certain you fully released the puzzle before stopping the timer, if it was sitting on the timer. If you didn't release it fully, another +2 could be applied, possibly giving you +4.

WCA
2017OSTD02
I would say that's probably +2 or DNF, at the discretion of the judge, since you touched the puzzle after stopping the timer. If the judge is convinced there were no moves made after the timer was stopped, a +2 is appropriate. Technically a judge who was paying close attention might be able to claim they fully inspected the puzzle before you touched it, in which case there would be no penalty. But that would be a very unusual thing - normally you would expect +2 or DNF.

It might also be worth asking if it's certain you fully released the puzzle before stopping the timer, if it was sitting on the timer. If you didn't release it fully, another +2 could be applied, possibly giving you +4.
Thanks for the clarification, I ended up getting a +2 though a DNF was considered

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say the case of a puzzle falling on one's lap is a choice of no penalty or +2. In your case, since you caught it and made an intentional move to touch the puzzle, a +2 is the correct call. But allowing the puzzle to land in your lap with no sudden movements or catches to prevent any greater falling seems fine -- there is a difference between the puzzle incidentally touching you and you touching the puzzle.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm gonna assume from OP's question that OP is already aware of the site for upcoming competitions - but it doesn't list any for 2018 yet (basically), hence the question.
Fortunately, the next response answered that question quite well. The reason bo competitions are listed is because none are planned yet. It's too early.

And there is actually one listed now. It's in Brazil.