• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Software Question Thread

aybuck37

WCA
2015BUCK03
Every so often the timers I use reset all my times. I have tried qqtimer, cstimer, and cubezapp. All of those have reset everything. Am I the only one?

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
It could be for a variety of reasons.
Sometimes it's because the server cleans itself (because storage space is limited, you know), sometimes it's because something about your computer or browser changed and it doesn't associate you with your session, sometimes it's an error, etc...

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have never had CCTimer reset, and I never clear cookies. I can 99.99% guarantee it's cookies, history will have no effect on timer session data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you make cstimer on iPad or phone into an app then it will never delete the data. (Forgot how to do it thought cos one of my friends did it)

With that I currently have 12,000 3x3 solves, 1,xxx OH solves, 460 5x5 solves and about 160 6x6 solves. So I can easily track all PBs there

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With csTimer, you can also go to Export --> Export to file, and then you'll have your times saved as a .txt file. These can later be imported by going to Export --> Import from file. This probably won't solve your problem if you don't know when or why the timer resets, but you could technically do this every time you end a session, so you'll never lose your times.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have no idea how all the individual browsers deal with clearing history but clearing cookies along with browsing history seems a reasonable thing that may happen and the behavior might vary from browser to browser.

All of the major browsers have separate options for cookies (I.E., Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Safari). However a wholesale "erase my whole internet presence for the past hour because I've been looking at naughty websites" panic click would probably include the cookies option.

I was simply informing people that they can erase their HISTORY without losing timer sessions, as long as they save their cookies. Added bonus, next time you return to the insalubrious website, the cookies for that site will be preserved also!!!

I really don't think exceeding server storage is a thing, your CSTimer stuff is all stored locally. A simple test - open up a browser you DON'T normally use, and open CSTimer. Do a few solves and delete cookies. Your solves will disappear. Do a few more and delete history (ensuring you don't choose to delete cookies). Your solves will still be there.

This proves 2 things: firstly that sessions are stored in cookies rather than history; secondly that servers don't come into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xyzzy

>history
>cookies
>cache

All of these have nothing to do with recorded times.

qqTimer and csTimer both use the Web Storage API if it's available, and unless you're using a super-old browser, Web Storage is definitely available. The API was designed specifically because web app devs wanted to store information persistently without all the downsides of using cookies, the obvious ones being a size limitation and that the cookie data is always sent to the server.

There's a lot of cargo cult "cleaning"/"optimising" software that clear all your web browser data (history, cache, cookies, web storage, etc.) for no good reason. If you ever find yourself actually needing to clear these for whatever reason, most web browsers allow you to delete them on a site-by-site basis instead of nuking everything from orbit.

(but also you should back up your times to a separate file if you're still really concerned and you want to keep an archive of your times, because web browser upgrades can (very rarely) destroy your profile)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
>history
>cookies
>cache

All of these have nothing to do with recorded times.
Not quite true. csTimer and qqTimer use local storage to store the times, and most browsers clear local storage when you delete cookies and don't set a time. So if the user clears all history, and leaves the cookie option selected, it will also delete their times in local storage.

But other than that, you're right that web storage and cookies are completely different things.

xyzzy

most browsers clear local storage when you delete cookies

Okay, so I went to check what Chrome does (because I'm a Firefox user and its clear-history dialog box has "offline website data" as an option separate from "cookies", unchecked by default), and I see that Chrome has cookies and web storage under the same option.

Weird, but I stand corrected. (I've never had a need to clear localStorage, but I manually purge cookies once every few months.)

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Try timeyourcube.com, create an account, and you will never lose your times. It works everywhere, on different computers, just log in.

Last edited:

aybuck37

WCA
2015BUCK03
Whoa, wait a second. A good timer with a login option, that works on both computers and touchscreen devices? WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE
ive been using cubemania. At least for me all the popular timers have still been resetting. haha Cubemania is the last timer I would have thought to not reset