One-Answer Other Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by pjk, Nov 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. I just wondered if that is what people did.

2. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    I usually just solve it however many times and log it in a program (my current session in qqtimer has 1800 solves), the averages don't depend on each other or anything like that. You just can't take an average of non-contiguous solves, of course, but that's really the only condition.

I'm pretty sure that's how most people handle it as well.

CornerCutter likes this.
  3. UberJay

UberJay Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Noon question but I'must confused. I intuitively solve the cube and don't really think if a piece is orientated or not. However, when watching YouTube tutorials this is now confusing me. Can someone please explain how I tell if a piece is orientated or not... Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just can't seem to understand it... Thanks.

4. It depends which method and which piece you're talking about. for edges, a piece is defined as oriented in various ways that mean you can solve it using only a specific set of moves (for example {R,U,L} for ZZ, {M2,U} for Roux, {R,U} for Petrus etc). they are all essentially subsets of the group {R,U,L,D} which is what is mean when oriented is used with edges in the broadest sense.

Corners are different in that a piece is defined as oriented if all corners can be brought to their solved positions using only double moves.

CFOP and last layer/ last slot methods are slightly different because they don't really care about reducing the moves to a specific subset and instead just what to reduce the cases. For example, OLL orients all the edges and corners by making them all face upwards and VHLS orients the edges while solving the last slot.

5. UberJay

UberJay Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this... I think all the different scenarios were confusing. But now I understand when it's applicable it makes sense! Thano You!

6. UberJay

UberJay Member

Dec 3, 2016
    This is the main contension of my confusion. In regards to these F2l cases what is / isn't orientated and how can I tell...

7. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Short version: what's the best place to buy a Big Sail right now?

Long version: I want to magnetize a big sail for foot solving. I was ordering a bunch of stuff, including magnets, from Amazon, and put the cube on that order. they didn't ship it, and refunded it when I complained (Amazon sucks at puzzles, and they're not any good at packing books either). I could have gotten a big sail from the cubicle last week for I think $4.50, and gotten something else small without breaking the bank to bring it up to $10, but they're back up to $7.50. I could go with cubezz for about $5, but that's 10-20 business days shipping and I've already got magnets sitting on my table waiting to go in a cube. What would you do in my situation?

8. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Does Cube4you still sell cubes? I want to get a gas assisted 3x3 for collection purposes

9. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    I just always use The Cubicle.

Looks like they're still active, so no reason they wouldn't.
    I do remember trying to order a gas-assisted cube from them a while ago, though, and I think I stopped because the checkout process was just too sketchy. I don't remember how it was when I ordered my original C4Y DIY cube, so I couldn't tell you if that's new or not.

10. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    How do you guys deal with sneezing during solves? It happens pretty frequently to me and meanwhile I can't keep solving, I get bad singles every now and then..

11. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    I stop the solve, 'cause there's no point in timing it if it was interrupted.
    Sneezing shouldn't happen frequently enough for that to be an issue.

EDIT: If it does, then cubing shouldn't be your concern.

12. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    Okay, but do I DNF it or delete it, for my current session average?

13. obelisk477

obelisk477 Member

Doesn't matter as long as you're consistent. On average, your solve time for a 'sneeze solve' will be, well, an average time. I personally delete solves that I get distracted on.

Dash Lambda and sqAree like this.
  14. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    If I sneeze in a comp, the solve would still count so I see no reason why I shouldn't count the solve in practice at home.

Jaysammey777 likes this.
  15. REDCUBER13

REDCUBER13 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    what is the usual cut off for 3x3 rounds in a competition

16. 1973486

1973486 Member

Jun 21, 2015
    It's usually really high. Check the comp though

17. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    It depends what you mean by cut off. According to the regulations a cut off is a time you need to beat in the first (usually two) solves of an average in order to be able to complete the average in a combined round. Combined rounds are not normally used for 3x3, so there is typically no cut off for 3x3.

You may mean what the regulations call time limit (sometimes called a hard cutoff but that term is confusing and should be discouraged). This is the time you need to beat in order to go on with the solve. If you exceed the time limit, the solve will be recorded as "did not finish". Usually it is not specified for 3x3 in which case it defaults to 10 minutes. Often in the interests of preventing abuse a time limit may be set of 3-5 minutes. It's really rare for it to be lower than that because 3x3 is usually the main event and the WCA encourages organisers to give as many people as possible the opportunity to complete a full average of 5.

You could also mean the round advancement criteria, which determines whether or not a competitor advances to the second round. This varies from region to region, in some regions, you can get into the second round with an average over a minute, at other competitions, averages under 15 seconds aren't enough to get you into the second round.

18. YOBACK

YOBACK Member

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

How solve it in one algorithm?

19. I think it might be good if you watch this tutorial. It's for ZZ but the techniques and ideas are the same