One-Answer Megaminx Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by AndyRoo789, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Berd

Berd Member

May 25, 2014
    Hampshire - UK
    WCA:
    2014LONG06
    YouTube:
    Bertie Longden
    My Dayan mega minx will unscrew the grey side if I do U' and tighten it if I do U. Is this a core or screw problem?

2. mafergut

mafergut Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Spain
    YouTube:
    mafergtube
    You will need to get rid of all the other grey pieces at least and check whether the screw actually comes in and out of the core or if the screw has destroyed the plastic in the core and actually does not work at all. But if the core is not broken and the screw actually is going in and out with the turns of the face that would mean that the center piece of that face is somewhat "glued" to the screw. You should check if the washer is okay and the center piece moves freely or turns the screw with it.

Weird thing in any case!

3. Isaac Lai

Isaac Lai Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Singapore
    WCA:
    2015LAII01
    Colour scheme was fine and I got mine in black. I loosened mine quite a bit especially on some sides where the screw was really deep down. I think lubing will help, but it is not as important with the SS than the Dayan. However, I will try to mod mine tomorrow.

Mind you, you'll probably want to wipe it down after taking it out of the box, because shengshou puzzles tend to be drenched in stock lube.

4. Berd

Berd Member

May 25, 2014
    Hampshire - UK
    WCA:
    2014LONG06
    YouTube:
    Bertie Longden
    So I just got scammed on amazon. I ordered a Shengshou megaminx:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IL3BULG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Except I received a QJ. So first off, never buy from here haha. Secondly, I wanted to ask, Is there any kind of mod I can do tho this, (Not a mod to improve performance but a shape mod or something), as I cannot stand it how it is. I've already left A review but I cannot be bothered to try and get my money back, it was very cheap anyway.

5. guysensei1

guysensei1 Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Singing pores
    WCA:
    2014WENW01
    Any tips on moving pairs effeciently around the puzzle? Often I pair up a pair on the opposite side of the puzzle and do some very inefficient stuff to move it to the correct side...

6. Douf

Douf Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Calgary, Canada
    Could someone please tell me exactly what are the 'godly mods' one the ShengShou Megaminx used by Nicolas Naing for his single WR recently? What exactly are mods that one could make to a Megaminx anyway? I've never even held one but they appeal to me and his looks gorgeous...

7. Look for videos on konsta and florian mods

8. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Are there any last-layer-only scramble generators for megaminx? I would like to enjoy megaminx, but roughly 2-4 minutes of my typical 8-9 minute solves are last layer, which is not conducive to learning LL algs quickly or enjoying solving it. Right now I'm doing EO-->EP-->CP-->CO and I think if I learned a few more algs I could probably save at least 1 minute right away by switching to EO-->CO-->EP-->CP. I just need to drill to CO and EP algs.

9. Lid

Lid Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2008LIDS01
    You could use qqTimers "megaminx subsets -> last slot + last layer"

10. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

11. Alexander Miller

Alexander Miller Member

Jul 12, 2016
    WCA:
    2010MILL02
    I got this puzzle about 10 years ago when I started cubing, not sure what brand, but I've never seen one that looks quite like this?

Here's the pic
    http://imgur.com/dMmotX6

Anyone know what brand it is?

12. Schimunn

Schimunn Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi!

There is no "One Question one answer" thread especially about the Gigaminx so I'm posting it here in the Megaminx-Thread:

How many different solutions/variations does the Gigaminx have?

Tnx, Schimun.

13. I suppose most people use only one (ie basic redux) but there are a few more floating around which are more similar to Yau-style by building off Yu Da Hyun S2L (like yau5), and Balint or Westlund which is more like standard Yau.

It is also technically possible to have an OBLBL, Cage, K5 method or even just a straight up BLD method. Have a play around and see what you can come up with. :)

14. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Are you asking about methods, or possible scrambled states? Or something else? Not that I would know about either, but I'd be curious to know the answers.

15. Schimunn

Schimunn Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Hello!

Yes, I think I was not precise enough...
    I mean how many different combinations there are. Z.B. on the 3x3x3 its about 43,000,000,000,000,000,000 ...or so... I'm just interessted in the number

16. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Totally different topic, but I'm wondering about color neutrality on megaminx. Is anybody who actually knows what they're doing color neutral? Everybody? I'm entirely color neutral on cubes, and switching to a set color to start isn't natural, but on some level it makes some sense due to the fact that megaminx has a much more complex color scheme that I don't have memorized. I'm making a lot of progress on megaminx recently, but still typically low 6:00 for average, 4:47 pb single yesterday. I'll never be really fast, but I'd love to get fast enough to set an official average someday.

Edit: on the last topic, I just ran across this:
    http://twistypuzzles.com/~sandy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12033

17. I believe @Robert-Y is fully CN though even he admits it isn't really worth it (and he tries CN on everything)

18. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    So it's not worth the effort to become color neutral, is it worth the effort to become non - color neutral? Right now I'm just starting with whichever side I happen to see the most edges first in inspection, then whichever f2l pairs are most obvious. Then Balint method (I think: groups of 3) and finish with eo, ep, cp, co.

19. myung97

myung97 Member

Jan 30, 2013
    USA
    WCA:
    2013MYUN01
    YouTube:
    SMyung97
    Megaminx is an exception for color neutrality imo. Personally I find it not worth because you have to keep track of many pieces, especially if you're intending on getting very fast (sub-1:30 or faster). Also having a fixed S2L order allows you to know which pieces to track as you're completing F2L, which gives a significant advantage for getting fast times.

20. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Thanks! That's kind of what I figured. I doubt I'll ever get to 1:30, but I'm just slow. 3:30 for me is probably equivalent to 1:30 for somebody with talent. I'll try to work on a set order.