• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Big Cubes Question Thread

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I agree, I average about 28-30 minutes on my 9x9, but I think it also depends on your big cube ability already. I think @ProStar said he averages about 35-ish on 9x9, and I’m pretty sure that I’m better than him on big WCA cubes, so there is a bit of a correlation there.

lol I suck at 9x9, it takes me like 45 minutes to solve it, although I've only done like 3 timed solves. I also don't own a cube bigger than 5x5(other than the 9x9), so that might be part of it

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so a 9x9 sounds really cool to get. Which one would you recommend? My budget is no higher than $50.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Ok, so a 9x9 sounds really cool to get. Which one would you recommend? My budget is no higher than $50.

Meilong or YLM.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel

Meilong or YLM.
Definitely YLM

Earlsleek1

Ok i have professors cube ( 5x5x5 ) got it down all the way to the last tredge and it didn't solve, i have the book speed solving the cube by Dan Harris. can someone help me with this algorithm?

Move: r2 B2 U2 1 U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 1' B2 r2

I understand the whole thing except the 1 and the 1' ? what am i supposed to do in that instance? even in his book on the notations chapter there is no 1 ?
I understand the rest of the notation.

Earlsleek1

Are you sure it’s a 1 not a l ?
yes, I know that I is for index, in this book they don't give anything on fingers, just the typical UDRLFB and udrlfb and ' is counter clockwise 2 means 180 degrees. and then x y z to turn the orientation of the cube.... but there is nothing on a 1.... until that algorithm, sometimes the last tredge just resolves by itself but it's a 50% chance and if it don't then that's the fix.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yes, I know that I is for index, in this book they don't give anything on fingers, just the typical UDRLFB and udrlfb and ' is counter clockwise 2 means 180 degrees. and then x y z to turn the orientation of the cube.... but there is nothing on a 1.... until that algorithm, sometimes the last tredge just resolves by itself but it's a 50% chance and if it don't then that's the fix.

I believe it's a lowercase L. :)

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok i have professors cube ( 5x5x5 ) got it down all the way to the last tredge and it didn't solve, i have the book speed solving the cube by Dan Harris. can someone help me with this algorithm?

Move: r2 B2 U2 1 U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 1' B2 r2

I understand the whole thing except the 1 and the 1' ? what am i supposed to do in that instance? even in his book on the notations chapter there is no 1 ?
I understand the rest of the notation.
Here is an animation of the alg: https://cubedb.net/?rank=5&alg=r2_B2_U2_l_U2_r-_U2_r_U2_F2_r_F2_l-_B2_r2&type=alg

xyzzy

That notation is only 4x4 on 5x5 lowercase means wide turn.
Lowercase means wide moves everywhere in SiGN notation.

Old resources may use lowercase letters for slice moves. Stop using those; stop mentioning those; stop referring to those. If you see a not-old resource using this bad notation, call them out on it.

(The only time lowercase=slice is useful is for bigbld algs, but more people do sighted big cube solves than blindfolded big cube solves, and clearly the majority should be prioritised over the minority.)