One-Answer 3x3x3 Speedsolving Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by teller, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I was averaging about 22.5 seconds for the first 30 solves and then about 23 after the next 15 or so, but there were 2 29's, a 30 and a few 26's. I was often going through trying to work out what I could have improved on for some of them though.

I've only been to one competition and I broke my pb in everything except OH which was less than half a second off my PB and 3x3, which still had a better average than what I normally get. I seem to do better at the competition than at home.

But I mean, if I get bad times when I practice, I feel like I am practicing doing something inefficiently. I don't know then if it is still worth practicing. But it sounds like it is according to you. So I will try to keep practicing even when the times are a lot worse than what I normally get.

I just want to try to average sub-10 by the end of the year. I sometimes feel it isn't normal though to get times like 29 if you average about 23 seconds.

Thank you for the advice.

2. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    I disagree. It's easy enough to get distracted or fatigued during a long session of solves, and that wouldn't be indicative of a competition setup either. (Unless you're the kind of person who participates in almost every event!) At a comp, you do only five solves per round and there's a long gap between rounds (if there are multiple rounds), which provides plenty of time for you to calm your nerves.

Bad practice is worse than no practice at all. If you feel like your times are consistently getting worse even though you're not getting bad cases (nb: this is subjective), then just take a break. Go do something else for an hour or two.

If that isn't normal, lol.

3. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I think I had dinner in between and couldn't look ahead as well when I came back to solving, so that would probably be why.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be worried if I get bad times next time then.

4. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    I just wanted to break it to you that improving from 23 seconds to sub 10 in one year is not gonna happen unless you spend hours per day practicing and you just insanely are good at every part of solving the cube.
    You could get close and maybe it's just me that's improving slow, i'm at 11 now, a year ago I think I was at 15-18

5. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    It's more like a goal. I'm not really expecting to average sub-10 by the end of the year, but I do expect to be at least averaging sub 12.

6. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    I'm impressed by your optimism, and will be interested to watch your progress. There are many people who average 15+ and have been cubing for years. You do realise that progress is exponential rather than linear? Having improved by e.g. 20 seconds in 6 months does not mean that, in another 6 months, you'll be averaging 3 seconds!

Just wanted to chime in with this - from your previous posts, it sounds like you time ALL your solves. You're absolutely right about practicing inefficiency and bad habits, and that will definitely happen if you're timing yourself. Much better to turn off the timer and solve slowly and smoothly. Also read Escher's stickied post about "how to practice", it's pure gold.

Good luck, and happy cubing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CubingGenius likes this.
  7. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes, I know the improvement will become slower as I improve more.

Yes, yesterday I was turning slower and focused on looking ahead for my next pair/block and the solves I was able to do this were generally 19-21 seconds compared to 25 seconds. I had done a lot of solves that day though, so I think I was a bit mentally exhausted and was struggling to do it every solve. The inspection for colour neutral ZZ for every solve was also a bit mentally draining.

Thank you for all the helpful information. :)

8. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Can someone please tell me what finger tricks they would use for these PLLs?

R U R' U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U2 R U' R'
    L' U' L U' L' U' L F L' U' L U L F' L2 U L U2 L' U L

9. R normal
    U normal
    R' Normal
    U push LUB with left index
    R normal
    U normal
    R' normal
    F' right thumb
    R normal
    U normal
    R' normal
    U' lefty flick
    R' regrip normal
    F right index flick UFR
    R2 normal- no regrip
    U' lefty flick
    R' normal
    U2 normal
    R normal
    U' normal
    R' normal

I don't do lefty algs so I wouldn't know what feels the most natural. (I would guess the same as the first alg just mirrored for this)

10. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    For the right hand:
    -Grip normally (zero regrips).
    -Left, right, left index fingers for the first 3 Us.
    -Right thumb for the next F' and U.
    -Lefty U'.
    -Right index F.
    -Lefty U'.
    -Right double flick U2.
    -Lefty U'

I do the same with my left, just mirrored.

11. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you for the replies. I found a good, regripless way to do it.

12. Tom Joad

Tom Joad Member

Jun 29, 2016
    If I just about get sub 20, let's say I can get 19.5 doing an average of 100 solves, then what could I realistically expect my personal best single to be?

13. It really depends on your method, how consistent your deviation is and how lucky you get. For roux or ZZ, I would say ~60% of your average. For CFOP ~50%.

obelisk477 likes this.
  14. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I did an average of 50 just now. The first 15 solves were averaging about 21.5 seconds and all the solves after that averaged about 24 seconds. I think after the first ~15 solves I lost my focus and started frequently getting 28+'s. I can keep a good focus for an avg12 as I just showed, but I can't keep it going past that. How can I train myself to improve this focus so I can get better quality solves for a longer period of time?

15. Practise.

Or just take a break.

16. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you very much for the information.

Dom likes this.
  17. Dom

Dom Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Oklahoma City
    WCA:
    2016DOMI06
    I agree with @shadowslice e but would like to also add something Feliks Zemdegs said in an interview with CrazyBadCuber. When he asked if there was anything besides practice that can help get better times, Feliks said "Practice. Just practice. Practice slow." Feliks also pointed out that you don't need to be timing yourself every solve. Just walk around the house with a cube and solve slowly and pay attention to what you're doing.

mafergut and CubingGenius like this.
  18. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you very much for this information. Do you know the youtube video he said this? I would be very interested to watch it.

Dom likes this.
  19. Dom

Dom Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Oklahoma City
    WCA:
    2016DOMI06
    It's an old one, but it's still a cool interview.

mafergut and CubingGenius like this.
  20. CubingGenius

CubingGenius Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you! This video is greatly appreciated! :)