One-Answer 3x3x3 Speedsolving Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by teller, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. GenTheThief

GenTheThief Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Illinois, U.S.A.
    WCA:
    2016GEEN01
    Welcome to the forums! I hope you find this a helpful and friendly community.
    Your english is also fine, only 1 small typo.

This discussion thread is a good place to ask this type of question, though this or this thread would be a bit more specific.

Listed in order of importance:
    -Watch some tutorials on intuitive F2L to make sure that you are solving the cases well. You might also want to look at this algorithm list to check your solutions with optimal/popular solutions to any given last slot F2L case
    -Learn those last couple LL algorithms so you can always solve in 4 algs or less. After you learn those, you should start to learn full PLL.
    -Start learning easily recognizable OLLs; you can get quite fast without these, but they are important to know.
    -Try and plan out your entire cross during inspection, and solve two or more pieces at a time. Don't worry if you go over 15. If you do, after a little time practicing, you will be able to do it in under 10, easy. Try and get your cross execution consistently under 5 seconds.

Though really all of these are pretty important, and one isn't overly necessary than the other. I don't think they are that hard either, but if you do, then focus on 1 for a couple days, switch to the next one, and keep rotating through them until you feel that you have eliminated your weaknesses, in which case, you can move on to something else.

2. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    Oooh, sorry I didn't know you were on a void cube, and also I thought you meant the edges were seperately flipped, so the alg I gave you won't work.

Since I haven't really solved on the void cube I'm not 100% sure what you should do to fix it, I think it has something to do with the colour scheme, so made sure the sides you build on are all correctly matching to a normal cube

3. GenTheThief

GenTheThief Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Illinois, U.S.A.
    WCA:
    2016GEEN01
    You have Void Cube parity, which occurs when the centers have not been properly placed while solving the rest of the cube.
    This thread has some algorithms for solving those cases.

Also, a better flipping alg (I think) is: Rw U R' U' Rw' U2 R U R U' R2 U2 R

4. DistantReality

DistantReality Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thank You so much. This really helped!

5. DistantReality

DistantReality Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thank you anyway! I now have that Alg. Memorized in cases where the need it!

6. sundeco

sundeco Member

Dec 28, 2016
    My average is currently just below 20 seconds. I currently use cross on top, know some f2l algorithms, know about 40 OLL algorithms, and know all the PLL algorithms except the Gperms. My cross takes around 3 seconds, I can finish f2l in around 10 seconds, OLL in around 3 seconds and same with PLL. What should be my next area of focus? Thanks

7. 1973486

1973486 Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Cross on bottom and G perms.

Dash Lambda likes this.
  8. UberJay

UberJay Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I'm currently learning 2 look pll and have run into a bit of a problem. I thought that the idea of 2 look pll was that you are guaranteed to solve the last layer permutation in two algorithms / looks. For the case with the headlights this is always the case. But when there are no headlights and you have to do a Yperm or Eperm I sometimes then get the headlight case which means I then do the three corner rotation which then presents one of the last four edge rotations. This means that actually it's 3 algorithms.. am I doing something wrong?

9. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    The case with no headlights involves swapping two corners diagonally, which the Y-perm should do from every angle. That automatically will give you an edge permutation, so maybe you're doing your diag-swap algorithm incorrectly?

Dash Lambda likes this.
  10. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    In addition to what DGCubes said, you might also be recognising the case wrong; maybe you didn't notice headlights on the left or back faces? In that case, applying a diagonal swap would still leave you with an adjacent-swap case, which would explain why you sometimes need 3 looks.

DGCubes and Dash Lambda like this.
  11. UberJay

UberJay Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I was mainly using this Eperm if I didn't see headlights... Should this work...

Thanks for your help!

12. CFOP beginner

CFOP beginner Member

Dec 6, 2016
    What all things I should learn to get sub 20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    There's a stickied thread called how to be sub 20. Also, Cyoubix has a YouTube video called "why you're not sub 20 with the Fridrich Method".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dash Lambda likes this.
  14. CFOP beginner

CFOP beginner Member

Dec 6, 2016
    I don't like to learn full oll.suggest me some algs that are important

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    I suggest you search for more algs for these cases (different people like different algs), but this is Badmephisto's sheet of cases for 2-look OLL.
    You might as well learn full OLL, since you probably will eventually, but if you really don't care about being competitive, then it's not really necessary.

16. Have you learned full PLL yet? If not you might want to check out some other methods which don't use full PLL or OLL

Dash Lambda likes this.
  17. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    All but 3 OLLs have a 1/54 chance of occurring. You should learn all but these cases.

18. TDM

TDM Member

Mar 7, 2013
    UK
    WCA:
    2013MEND03
    YouTube:
    TDM028
    Isn't it all but 7?
    (including skip. All but 6 excluding skip)

pipkiksass likes this.
  19. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    I was being facetious. Probably.

TDM likes this.
  20. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    Actually, the spread is like this:
    1/216: 2
    1/108: 5
    1/54: 51

mafergut, CornerCutter and pipkiksass like this.