• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

KJre

So I'm working towards improving my time, but I'm not sure what I should work on.
This is the my average times for each stage.
Cross: 1-3
F2L: 3-5
LL: 4-6

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
What would be the best way to hold the cube to solve Petrus?

Good practice for CFOP is cross in the bottom, but many people do it on the top when learning.

I'm trying petrus and I do 2x2 block on the FL, and 2x2x3 in the FR, then rotate the cube to solve EO, but that doesn't seems like the best way.

Last edited:

Thom S.

What would be the best way to hold the cube to solve Petrus?

Good practice for CFOP is cross in the bottom, but many people do it on the top when learning.

I'm trying petrus and I do 2x2 block on the FL, and 2x2x3 in the FR, then rotate the cube to solve EO, but that doesn't seems like the best way.

I personally used to build the 2x2x2 in DBL and expand in BR, then did EO and finally rotate but if one were to use full algorithmic EO, I think not rotating at all would be the best solution

Tao Yu(former Petrus user) seems to be flexible

Tom Joad

What is considered to be an efficient number of moves to solve cross plus f2l?

If the answer is “it depends how fast you are” then let’s say, for argument’s sake, I’m a slow-turning middle-aged guy who will try to turn his average from 16.5 to 13.5 seconds in the next year...

Med

This is more of a preference question I guess, and I realize probably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things
So I just got back to cubing. I've been crossreferencing my old oll/pll algs with cubeskills' and discovered that I've gone out of my way to convert any sort of R U2 to R U2', not meaning I doubleflick left index left middle finger but meaning I push R with my right thumb and flick a U' into my left index doing another U' thus completing the U2'. Even a simple sune R U R’ U R U2’ R’ gets primed like this. I think it stems from back when I was looking for algs and was heavily influenced by macky's cubefreak.
Problem is I've been looking at it for too long now and I can't tell anymore if the movement is beneficial at all or just needlessly forced. For all I know I'm doing theatrical R U2' in f2l as well. Maybe it's the same thing as doubleflick, maybe it depends on the alg, maybe it's a mistake altogether. Maybe it's a lifestyle. Surely you would start Rb perm with R' U2 R U2' (...)?! At the very least prime up for pi oll R U2’ (R2 U’ R2’ U’ R2 U2’ R)?!
I'm questioning everything now, what a comeback.
Turns out maybe there's no question, just my alg OCD in mourning

Tom Joad

This is more of a preference question I guess, and I realize probably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things
So I just got back to cubing. I've been crossreferencing my old oll/pll algs with cubeskills' and discovered that I've gone out of my way to convert any sort of R U2 to R U2', not meaning I doubleflick left index left middle finger but meaning I push R with my right thumb and flick a U' into my left index doing another U' thus completing the U2'. Even a simple sune R U R’ U R U2’ R’ gets primed like this. I think it stems from back when I was looking for algs and was heavily influenced by macky's cubefreak.
Problem is I've been looking at it for too long now and I can't tell anymore if the movement is beneficial at all or just needlessly forced. For all I know I'm doing theatrical R U2' in f2l as well. Maybe it's the same thing as doubleflick, maybe it depends on the alg, maybe it's a mistake altogether. Maybe it's a lifestyle. Surely you would start Rb perm with R' U2 R U2' (...)?! At the very least prime up for pi oll R U2’ (R2 U’ R2’ U’ R2 U2’ R)?!
I'm questioning everything now, what a comeback.
Turns out maybe there's no question, just my alg OCD in mourning

IMHO

1. Sounds inefficient - I can’t see how that thumb push could be as fast as a double flick.
2. It’s good that you are refining your skills by self critical analysis, most cubers never reach this stage
3. Cubeskills is probably showing the most efficient way.

I was thinking about this recently. Most people learn olls and plls at an early stage when they have a limited set of finger tricks and thereby do them inefficiently. Then their finger tricks evolve. But they don’t necessarily incorporate the new fingertricks into the algorithms which are in their muscle memory. The only way to break the old bad habits is to do the introspective cross referencing which you are doing. Good luck!

Tom Joad

Does anyone ever try to improve by solving the same scramble again and again?

If so, did you find this to be of any benefit or a bit pointless?

PurpleBanana

Does anyone ever try to improve by solving the same scramble again and again?

If so, did you find this to be of any benefit or a bit pointless?
This is definitely pointless. You will not learn anything about how to solve from doing this.

Tom Joad

If you solve on white cross only, what percentage of scrambles will be six move cross or less?

Thanks