• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

xyzzy

can you force a pll skip without TONS of algs?
Out of these substeps, which one do you want to do differently (compared to standard CFOP) to force a PLL skip: last slot, EO, CO?

If you want to force a PLL skip on last slot, that means you have to somehow bring your cube into a state where EO/CO can be done without too many algs. The easiest option here is to permute the last layer pieces during LS, so you do a pure OLL alg for the last layer, but (i) recog is garbage, (ii) the pure OLL algs kinda suck, and (iii) that's still a fairly large number of LS algs to learn (72 if you use only R U' R' inserts, 144 if you use R U R' as well, 576 if you want to be slot-neutral, etc.).

If you want to force a PLL skip on EO, you can still do something like EO+permute followed by the pure corner twists. (i) and (ii) above still apply. Also, EO+permute has 100+ algs, I think.

If you want to force a PLL skip on CO, that's just ZBLL.

ItzAmir

Hi! I'm brand new to cubing, I got my first cube today and I've been at it for a about 5-6 hours. I've been learning a beginner's method and I've memorized every alg I need, but after 5 hours I have continuously hit a problem where, when orienting my final layer to have the top as all the same color, I hit a situation where I cannot solve that side no matter what alg I use. The picture below is one of the many, many cases of this. I have yet to progress pass this point. Any idea where to go from here? (I'm using the beginner's method from cubeskills.com if that helps).
Thanks so much <3
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 7.47.55 PM.png

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi! I'm brand new to cubing, I got my first cube today and I've been at it for a about 5-6 hours. I've been learning a beginner's method and I've memorized every alg I need, but after 5 hours I have continuously hit a problem where, when orienting my final layer to have the top as all the same color, I hit a situation where I cannot solve that side no matter what alg I use. The picture below is one of the many, many cases of this. I have yet to progress pass this point. Any idea where to go from here? (I'm using the beginner's method from cubeskills.com if that helps).
Thanks so much <3
View attachment 9630
Well you have a twisted corner and the the fix is really simple, and that is to twist one of the two corners that are not solved, so that both of the yellow stickers are either both on the front or sides, and after that do the right alg for the case, and after that you should have all the yellow piece on top. Hope this helps.

Edit: And more importantly, Welcome to the forums. It is great to have you here.

ItzAmir

Well you have a twisted corner and the the fix is really simple, and that is to twist one of the two corners that are not solved, so that both of the yellow stickers are either both on the front or sides, and after that do the right alg for the case, and after that you should have all the yellow piece on top. Hope this helps.

Edit: And more importantly, Welcome to the forums. It is great to have you here.
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Sorry for the newbie question, but how would I go about twisting the corner? I've looked it up for a bit and I can't seem to find something that seems correct or related. Sorry again, and thank you!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Sorry for the newbie question, but how would I go about twisting the corner? I've looked it up for a bit and I can't seem to find something that seems correct or related. Sorry again, and thank you!
No worries at all about the questions. We were all there at some point, so again no worries at all. The way to twist the corner is by rotating it clockwise or counter clockwise so whichever position you need it to be, so in other words, grab the corner with your thumb, index, and middle finger and twist the corner. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

ItzAmir

No worries at all about the questions. We were all there at some point, so again no worries at all. The way to twist the corner is by rotating it clockwise or counter clockwise so whichever position you need it to be, so in other words, grab the corner with your thumb, index, and middle finger and twist the corner. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thank you so much! You just helped me progress after being stuck for 3 hours straight. Greatly appreciated!

Duncan Bannon

Thank you so much! You just helped me progress after being stuck for 3 hours straight. Greatly appreciated!
Just to clarify, you must have accidentally twisted the corner while solving, as a twisted corner is impossible to solve with normal turning, so you have to manually twist it. Or better worded, twisting a corner is not a normal step to solve the cube.

Tom Joad

I personally use this. Op uses this.
OPs fingertricks.
My way is regripless.
Thumb on UR. R2' U2'. F with pointer finger. R2. F' with Ring finger. U2' R' U R'

The other popular ones I know of are
R U' R' B' R' U' R2 U R' B
R r U R' U' r' U2 R U R U' R2

I believe a <RUS> one exists but I can't find it

Edit
The one I meant

Thanks again for this, I got it down to 1.5 secs.

On the youtube video, in the answer to a comment, Tellerwest says he has improved the finger tricks at the end of the algorithm and says he will post a new video.

Do you know anything about this?

Thom S.

On the youtube video, in the answer to a comment, Tellerwest says he has improved the finger tricks at the end of the algorithm and says he will post a new video.

Do you know anything about this?

No. His way is different from mine anyway so i never thought about it although I have seen that comment i the past

Tom Joad

So, next up f2l40 (misorientated edge in slot, corner in slot with white on front)

So, until now, I always took it out with RU’R’ (sets up f2l9) then U’R’U’R’ then either rotate or insert with F moves.

Now, I notice on algdb.net, the most popular algorithm listed is R U' R' F R U R' U' F' R U' R'

I can see why this might be faster, so I think I’ll start using this. However, I conclude that this means everybody must be using F R U R' U' F' R U' R' for f2l9, so I go and have a look...

Now it says everybody uses U’R’U’R’ then either rotate or insert with F moves for f2l9!

Haha, well “you can’t have it both ways”

So, what do you use for f2l9 and what do you use for f2l40 ?

Thanks as per always, I’m just ruminating...

xyzzy

So, what do you use for f2l9 and what do you use for f2l40 ?
9:
(y' U) R' U' R U' R' U' R
(y' U2) R' U R U R' U' R

40:
F' L' U2 L F R U R' if there are three bad edges
remove and reinsert 2-gen if there is one bad edge