• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
YouTube
Visit Channel
From where to learn 2 sided pll recognition. I am pretty bad at recognition and that is one thing holding me from sub 5 last layer.
So any helpful videos/websites that can help me.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
From where to learn 2 sided pll recognition. I am pretty bad at recognition and that is one thing holding me from sub 5 last layer.
So any helpful videos/websites that can help me.
I know Sarah has a page about it, but other than that I haven't seen anything about it. I've almost learned it just by doing lots of solves.
Google gives lots of other pages.

YouTube
Visit Channel
F U R U' R2 F' R U R U' R' vs F U R U2 R' U' R U R' F'
Which one do you use?
and in R' F R U R' U' F' U R the U R in the end do you regrip or finger push with left index?

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
I always imagine the pieces moving around when I practice BLD solving F2L pairs, which doesn't really help as much compared to doing algs. Should I just try another exercise?

Last edited:
Question 2:

I use 2-Look PLL but am unsure of the most efficient way to recognise each part. What I have been doing for the first part is looking at the front and right face for headlights, then checking the left face if I haven't found any, then doing a U' to check the back face.

I'm wondering if it might be faster to check the front and right face for headlights then perform a U2 and do the same again which will save me rotating my hand to check the left face and I will be able to check in 2 glances rather than 3?

My theory applies again for the final step of 2-Look PLL. I usually check the front and right face for 3 of the same colour, then the left side and then do a U'. I wonder if it would be quicker to just do the U2 for the step too?

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question 2:

I use 2-Look PLL but am unsure of the most efficient way to recognise each part. What I have been doing for the first part is looking at the front and right face for headlights, then checking the left face if I haven't found any, then doing a U' to check the back face.

I'm wondering if it might be faster to check the front and right face for headlights then perform a U2 and do the same again which will save me rotating my hand to check the left face and I will be able to check in 2 glances rather than 3?

My theory applies again for the final step of 2-Look PLL. I usually check the front and right face for 3 of the same colour, then the left side and then do a U'. I wonder if it would be quicker to just do the U2 for the step too?
You should never have to do U moves to recognize PLLs. It's more efficient to just kind of look at the top face and then tilt the cube around so you can see all of the sides really quick. Then when you figure out which case it is do whichever U moves you need to get it to the correct position, while you are executing the alg, think about what AUF you will need to do. This will improve with practice, but look at a lot of fast solvers, they never do U moves to figure out which PLL they have.

I've recently become colour neutral and am working on advanced cross. I know which colours are opposite which and which colour pair (red/orange, green/blue, white/yellow) is adjacent to which, ie if blue or green was front face and white/yellow was top and bottom, I know red/orange are on the left/right faces. But if I specifically knew what colour the front face was and what colour the bottom face was I could not tell you exactly which colour was on the left (or right) face, only which colour pair. I think this would be relatively easy to learn if I solved the cube with one colour on the bottom each time, but being colour neutral means I will need to learn it for all 6 faces. I assume this fairly essential knowledge?

Does anyone have any tips for how to learn which colour is on the left and right sides individually when you know the front face and up or down face colour?

Thanks.