• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

NotIesu

Ive been trying my best on lookahead for f2l and I think I'm doing pretty well (I only stop to do y2 rotations). Any other advice?

RonM

Ive been trying my best on lookahead for f2l and I think I'm doing pretty well (I only stop to do y2 rotations). Any other advice?
I've been slowsolving to practice never doing a rotation during F2L unless it's to save inserting with B moves.

I think you can save on cube rotations by doing d or d' too, depending on the situation. I normally use those when I mess up and end up solving my F side F2L first.

I'm only recently sub 60 though, so take my advice with a grain of salt lol. Most of my problem is recognition since I switched from green cross to white cross when I switched from beginner's method to CFOP.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been slowsolving to practice never doing a rotation during F2L unless it's to save inserting with B moves.

I think you can save on cube rotations by doing d or d' too, depending on the situation. I normally use those when I mess up and end up solving my F side F2L first.

I'm only recently sub 60 though, so take my advice with a grain of salt lol. Most of my problem is recognition since I switched from green cross to white cross when I switched from beginner's method to CFOP.
If you want to avoid rotations try Roux or ZZ. The problem with d moves is that they require regrips which can get in the way of fluid turning.

RonM

If you want to avoid rotations try Roux or ZZ. The problem with d moves is that they require regrips which can get in the way of fluid turning.
It's funny you say that, I just started learning ZZ this morning and have spent pretty much all afternoon practicing EOLine and ZZF2L. EO definitely being the hardest/longest part.

Samyajit Saha

Hello guys,I am new in this community.I stay in Kolkata India.My average time is one minute.I have been cubing for last one month.I need tips on how to learn full pll

U

Underwatercuber

Hello guys,I am new in this community.I stay in Kolkata India.My average time is one minute.I have been cubing for last one month.I need tips on how to learn full pll
Work on 4lll first and f2l until you average 30 then learn pll at a pace of 1 alg a day

Or just learn one alg at a time and move on to the next one when you feel comfortable

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
if you want to learn full PLL then you probably use a rubies brand so get a speed cube - Valk or weilong gts2 is the best and MF3RS is best per $. as for learning full PLL an alg a week is fine, just get into some routine and make sure you can recognise the case fine

WCA
2017OSTD02
I want to learn full oll before my first comp in August. Is the best/most efficient way learning by groups of similar cases by drilling, doing solves and doing the new algs when needed, or drilling them randomly (like with the cstimer ll scrambles)? I've been putting this off for too long and I want to get it done. Thanks for any suggestions!

Zerksies

I've been using what is now called 2 look OLL for years.(I've been cubing that long before it even had a name) I have now decided to learn full OLL. I'm not trying to cheat learning all 57 Algs. Just asking about set ups. I noticed if I did Alg#33 from a solved state gave me Alg#37 and vice versa. Is there a list of set ups or how did you go about learning

Hi,

I started cubing about 3 weeks ago with a Moyo AoLong V2. I average about 1.20 with the beginners method, with one solve at 57 seconds.

I decided that I would start to to learn CFOP and begin with learning intuitive F2L. The F2L part seems OK to me, but it's going to take a while to get super quick at it I know.

Now to my actual question...

While practicing F2L, I am also trying to learn more OLL and PLL algorithms, but there are lots of algorithms for each permutation. For example, on the speedsolving wiki page, there are 23 different algorithms for an H perm. Which one is best? I know people will say "Just try out each one and see which one suits you", but there must be a preferred alg for each permutation, is there?

Also, on the speedsolving wiki, the U perm is shown with the solved edge facing you, whereas on badmephesto's algorithm sheet I downloaded, the solved edge is away from you. Which way do most people do the U perm.

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to get into any bad habits at the start.

Thanks for any advice

Craig

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, welcome!

AlgDB.net is a great website, since people can vote for their favourite algs. Although you can click on each case for a longer list of algorithms, on that page, the four most popular ones are given. Imo it's a good idea to try out those top four algs and see which one you likes best, although the chances are it'll be the top one.

Different algorithms are done from different positions, so the angle from which you solve the case depends on which one you choose. For U perms, I think it's about 60/40 between having the solved edge on the back vs having the solved edge on the front. But either is fine, and in fact many advanced solvers will be able to do either! But for now, pick any one, and you can't go wrong.

xyzzy

For example, on the speedsolving wiki page, there are 23 different algorithms for an H perm.

The wiki has a ton of bad algs and it should just be ignored entirely. z2 (R U R' U' D)30? One hundred and fifty moves for an H perm, really?

AlgDB.net hasn't been receiving updates lately (none of the ZBLL algs I tried to add since November last year have been approved and parts of the site are plain broken), but for OLL and PLL, it's still the best resource that exists.