• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Got my giiker cube yesterday. Nice cube and works great with the app. Hate some of the colours.
One positive is I got a sub 35 with the smart timer. Can’t complain there.
Mine arrived a couple days ago. Haven't spent much time with it as my Bluetooth dongle at home is old and doesn't support BTv4. At work it's too noisy to play with. New dongle arrived today so I'm keen to play more tonight.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Older video. I’d be interested to read the book he mentions.... for entertainment, if nothing else.

Although, I will point out, that in the years since that video was posted, Chris refers to the 2x2 method as Ortega. He must have lost the motivation to keep telling people the reason he wanted to call it the Verasano Method.

Changing established names is something that approaches impossible. I expect he just gave up the crusade between that and the fact that Varasano's method is probably more accurately "a major influence on Ortega, along with a few others". He was successful enough that I was aware of Jeff, the connection, and some really interesting history.

Hope you get the impostor Megaminx situation ironed out. I feel for you vicariously; excitement when the package arrives, you're mentally primed for breaking it in and doing a session, you rip open the package and... _sad trombone_ :(

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Changing established names is something that approaches impossible. I expect he just gave up the crusade between that and the fact that Varasano's method is probably more accurately "a major influence on Ortega, along with a few others". He was successful enough that I was aware of Jeff, the connection, and some really interesting history.

Hope you get the impostor Megaminx situation ironed out. I feel for you vicariously; excitement when the package arrives, you're mentally primed for breaking it in and doing a session, you rip open the package and... _sad trombone_ :(
The “mega problem” was sorted out. The company shipped another and gave me a return label. I have no hard feelings toward the company, mistakes happen and they handled it well. But I was incredibly bummed.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello all and welcome to our new members. Haven't posted for a bit as so many oldies are now on Facebook.
I've been at the Great British Blind Off today. All blind and FMC. The FMC single and mean WRs were beaten which was exciting.
My next MBLD goal is 10 points. It seemed a big stretch to try 10 cubes as I've not really practiced but I went for it. Got 5/10 twice. First attempt I solved a cube out of order and the time I wasted fixing it cost me a chance at cubes 9 and 10. Was tired by the 2nd attempt but finished with 13s to spare DNFs included the same flipped edge on 2 cubes and a missed parity. Very promising. Unfortunately I can't go tomorrow to do solve 3 and get my zero point mean.
4BLD success still eludes me.
This is my first comp where I haven't completed in 3BLD.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Brief wrap-up:

First official sub-20 single for 3x3x3. Since my previous 4 attempts were below average, I didn't expect much but got lucky - Sunne-PLL skip.

3BLD was also a meh, 1 success first round and triple DNF in the final. Two 1:14 DNFs by one flip (both cases) - looks like I traced incorrectly both of them.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice to see @Shaky Hands and @newtonbase this weekend.

The UK's first blind comp was a mixed bag for me. Nothing went particularly well, and no PBs apart from FMC mean. In MBLD, I carried on trying for 20 cubes, and got 14 and 16 successes in two attempts. It's getting a bit frustrating :). In 4BLD, I got a mean in the first round and my 2nd and 3rd fastest singles in comp; I'm happy that I'm slowly getting back to where I was in 2017. 5BLD was triple DNF, and 3BLD was just embarrassing. Although I made it through all 3 rounds of 3BLD, my results were really bad and got progressively worse. The cause was probably a mixture of lack of practice and tiredness, and the scrambles were pretty poor as well.

I enjoyed FMC more than I expected, learned a few new tricks and techniques, and tried them out in official solves. Although my results weren't great, I'm pleased at having applied some new knowledge successfully. Certainly I want to get more into FMC in future.

It was good to see an FMC WR broken and also the long-standing UK MBLD NR was broken too (congrats @Berd).

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
3/5 with 3BLD attempts today.... not terrible. All in the mid-3 minute range. Gonna try to do 5 a day again between now and my next comp in a couple weeks. I’d like to be solid at that one and get a low-to-mid 3 minute time.

BTW, for the US oldies... the posted that US Nationals will be in Baltimore, MD, this year Aug 1-4. I’ll definitely be there. So, if you guys go, we will have to coordinate an old-guys dinner or something!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
BTW, for the US oldies... the posted that US Nationals will be in Baltimore, MD, this year Aug 1-4. I’ll definitely be there. So, if you guys go, we will have to coordinate an old-guys dinner or something!

For me it will depend on my family's schedule, but I'd say there's a decent chance I will be there. I have family near there; I grew up near there. So it is really a pretty nice location for me. I will probably stay either at my parents' house (about 1 1/2 hours away) or my sister's house (about 45 minutes away), so I don't need to book a hotel. :)

Odds are I will sign up soon for it and just hope I can actually make it when the time comes.