• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all! Another week or two since I last visited. Hi @Jason Green I hadn't seen you post in a long time. I hope everything is going well. Do your kids cube already?

Not sure if I told you that I finally registered for Euros in Madrid, but only for 3x3. Anyway my left thumb injury is not getting any better so I'm afraid I will not be able to compete, or if I compete I will be very, very slow, like in not even sub-30 (it hurts to just grip the cube). At least I'll go watch and meet some people.

@muchacho, I just finished today editing my short video about Roux. I will publish it in my channel this week. Finally I decided to feature your PB single solve in it ;) Maybe next episode is ZZ. Any ZZ solvers out there that can help?
Yeah I don't post that much lately, but I still keep up with reading the thread. Boys have not picked it up yet, maybe soon! Thanks for saying hi. :)

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
3BLD practice tonite... for a few moments. 4 attempts: 4:16(DNF), 4:56, 4:02, 4:30(DNF). 50% on the day. and both the DNFs were only off by a forgotten twisted edge.

Edit:
Did 3 more attempts. 4:02, 4:21 and 4:37... the 4:02 was the success (and was the last of the three attempts) and the others were racking up my daily DNF count. However, both were (again) off by a twisted corner or flipped edge.

That tells me that I’m pushing my memo just about right. I’m missing some stuff, but can slow down a bit and get it. And even sometimes get it anyway without slowing down.

There’s a chance I could get a sub-5 at my upcoming comp. If it’s an easy memo... well, I’ll try not to psych myself out.

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks like my Project588 (588 solves till Polish Nationals) pays off. After 30 days of practing and making over 80 5bld solves my times started to drop. I've made a break for 2 days and today my memo is around 8 minutes and my execution is down to sub 6 minutes. I've started to feel comfortable with memo process and comms for centers. And todays PB is 14:44.65 with 8:44 memo.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@h2f, good progress. Why 588?

Thanks! Still I waste a lot of time losing tracking on centers. I think memo could be 2-3 shorter because of it.

When I've started it was 196 days till Polish Nationals. 196 x 3 = 588. And 5 is like 5bld - thats why the name is Project 588. I dont give any public info about it only here I've mentioned that I'm preparing to Nationals.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
@h2f - awesome plan, and great progress! Good luck with it!

I'm afraid I'm just not getting the time to practice that I wanted. But I finally did another 50 3BLDs for practice, and my times are starting to get a little better - especially with the last few:

35/50
session mean: 1:48.77
best mean of 3: 1:24.89
best avg of 5: 1:27.86 (this was the most recent 5)
best avg of 12: 1:56.79
best single: 1:15.04
best near-miss: DNF [1:00.75, off by 2 corners]

Hopefully I can at least get one more set of 50 done before the competition.

No time for multi practice before the competition, I'm afraid, so I think I'll have to give up on my hope of trying to top Mark - I can't handle 15 yet - I'll have to go for a more conservative number. :-( Maybe at my next competition, if Mark doesn't put it out of reach by then.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guys, how long it was took to you to reach the sub-20 on 3x3?
I think it took me almost a year to become sub 30 on white cross. Then I switched to color neutral and it took me 3 months to become sub 30 again (but then CN). Then in a year or so I was sub 20 color neutral. I think in 3 more years I got down to sub 19. With some 18.xx Ao100's. But then I stopped speedsolving practice. Now I only cube recreational :)

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
in competition a bit more than 2 years for first single, another year for fist average and some months to constantly be there
at home, way less for singles/ao5/ao12 and about the same for Ao100s

But it can be done way, way faster if you just focus on the event, there are several examples around regulars here.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me about 9 months to get to sub-30 globally and another 18 months to get to sub-20. Like others mentioned it would most likely have been quicker with regular practice and more focus on getting faster.

I'm currently focusing on 3x3, OH and Pyra with a view of doing the Sunday at Hastings in 3-4 weeks time. My 3x3 times have slipped (just about sub-16 globally) and my OH times have gotten quite eratic (just about sub-26 globally) but I did fluke a PB Ao5 of 21.17 OH earlier today. I'm enjoying Pyra right and starting to break through the 7-second barrier - 6.78 Ao100 last weekend. It's almost becoming my main event, lol.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I should take care of pyra one of these years, last weekend I got an official PB average and I didn't even made it to the second round. that's sad (and funny)
I plan to compete in pyra for the first time next week. I think if I keep up my current practice schedule I have an excellent shot at making not only the 2:00 time limit but even the 0:45 cutoff.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I've had a nice long run of DNFs with 3BLD the past couple days. Had a nice streak going the couple days prior to that.

Comp next weekend. I think I can definitely make a HUGE improvement and get a relatively "safe" (for me) solve with an official success and STILL have enough time remaining within the 10 min cumulative to make a decent second effort. That may be my plan of attack. Get a mid-5 min "safe" solve with more review and less pressure. Then, for my second attempt, let it all go. Push the memo, less review and just let it rip! No matter what I do, I won't have enough time to make 3 legit attempts, so...

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I only know 2 algs for pyra.... I'm definitely not going to learn any more than that. I'm okay just doing it on comp days. Most places here have a 1:00 cutoff. I can make that... But if they imposed a soft-cutoff I'd be in trouble.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only know 2 algs for pyra.... I'm definitely not going to learn any more than that. I'm okay just doing it on comp days. Most places here have a 1:00 cutoff. I can make that... But if they imposed a soft-cutoff I'd be in trouble.

Man... you're breaking my heart! There are only 5 LL "algs" and they are all combos of the triggers R U R' / R U' R' / R' L R L'.

If you play around with the basic triggers and their mirrors you'll find all 5 of the Pyra LL "algs" for yourself.

The thing that I'm enjoying about Pyra is the planning aspect. I'm finding it quite therapeutic outside of a comp environment.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Man... you're breaking my heart! There are only 5 LL "algs" and they are all combos of the triggers R U R' / R U' R' / R' L R L'.

If you play around with the basic triggers and their mirrors you'll find all 5 of the Pyra LL "algs" for yourself.

The thing that I'm enjoying about Pyra is the planning aspect. I'm finding it quite therapeutic outside of a comp environment.
I guess I actually know more... because I know those triggers and just use them to solve it. If I really think about I know more, but I’m Super Slow at recognition and execution. I’m okay with that too.

I don’t really like my pyra either. It doesn’t feel very good—too loose and unstable making it less enjoyable.

Last edited: