• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Did an Ao50 as a check-in today. I don't really track those often, I'm not out to drop it a few tenths, more interested in when I'm comfortably set to get it sub 25. Still not quite there, still bleeding too much in mistake solves with botched crosses, clobbering solved pairs, CFOOOP solves, etc. Not too far off now though, the meat of the bell curve is glacially moving the right direction. Full OLL continues to pay off more as my recognition improves and some recent F2L refinements are starting to pay dividends.

View attachment 9034
I know the feeling.... improving at glacial speeds and setting PBs by the smallest of margins. That said, it’s still improvement.

I decided after this weekend’s comp that I need to find more efficient F2L algs for some of variants. I’m not going to set out to learn every possible variant, but there are a few cases that take a lot of moves and are not efficient. I expect the typical, “I just learned something so my times will slow down...” business, but in the long run it’ll be more fun to learn more stuff.

I don’t do ao50 much either. In fact, I’ve only done an ao100 a couple specific times in a single session. Usually that’s several days of solved times for me. I consider that to be a pretty good indicator of where I’m at.

Good work to you for learning full OLL. That will certainly pay off.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mind: blown! Does that work for all bld parities? If so, I can avoid learning the wing-parity alg...
No you still need that, but here's a fast one that's quite easy to remember too: r' U2 r U2 r' U2 x r U2 r U2 r U2 r2 U2 x' r' U2

I had a comp this weekend too, so I'll throw my results here with the rest.
Nice job, especially 4BLD!

Great results. Sub 1 mean next comp!
Next target sub-50 single ;)

Interesting, you review each memo before moving to next. 2nd one was, 10a corner memo, (review 1-2s), 15s edge memo (~2s review), then execution. Is it your normal procedure? Or safety measure for comps?
No reviews in 3BLD. I pause for a second after corners to really visualise the images and try to get them to stick. For edges I just repeat the audio a few times. (I wouldn't call those reviews - I would define a review as going back after doing something else.)

I did look at my splits and disappointingly my memo in comp is the same as a year ago, even a little worse. At HWO it was 27-29 and at Worlds it was 27. At home I know I have improved and take 20-21 if pushing it. So I have some work to do to replicate that consistently, especially under comp pressure.

Nice edge comms including S moves - congrats.
Thanks. That S move was an awkward setup to U M' U2 M U and as I was doing it I was annoyed with myself for not doing [U' M' U, L2] instead :)

At home I now do lots of S and E slice edge comms when solving untimed, but I'm not confident enough to do them in comp without pauses yet.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks. That S move was an awkward setup to U M' U2 M U and as I was doing it I was annoyed with myself for not doing [U' M' U, L2] instead :)

At home I now do lots of S and E slice edge comms when solving untimed, but I'm not confident enough to do them in comp without pauses yet.

I would do without S i in this case. I'm drilling S algs too, plus I've found some nice tricks like (R2 f2 R2 U) x2 etc.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I know the feeling.... improving at glacial speeds and setting PBs by the smallest of margins. That said, it’s still improvement.

I decided after this weekend’s comp that I need to find more efficient F2L algs for some of variants. I’m not going to set out to learn every possible variant, but there are a few cases that take a lot of moves and are not efficient. I expect the typical, “I just learned something so my times will slow down...” business, but in the long run it’ll be more fun to learn more stuff.

I don’t do ao50 much either. In fact, I’ve only done an ao100 a couple specific times in a single session. Usually that’s several days of solved times for me. I consider that to be a pretty good indicator of where I’m at.

Good work to you for learning full OLL. That will certainly pay off.

It's all right on schedule for what I'd hoped and still bodes well for legit sub-20 Ao5 potential by the end of the year. "The Wall" has inched down to 20-21 now and falling; sub 20s and even sub 19s are less rare. I had 17 straight solves with nothing worse than a :28.x to start that Ao50, that's longer than I can usually command my lookahead at that pace. Best rolling Mo3 was 21.08 and Ao5 was 22.30, so I'm starting to cluster some faster solves together and a little less all over the map. I passed the break-even point for full OLL vs. my 2-look a few months back and recognition improvement will keep paying for months to come. Life is pretty good, I just wanted to skip the 20s completely and jump straight from a 30 average to sub 20.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
wow, so many good results everyone, I'm falling a bit behind.

I noticed Mark's first sub 1 on cubecomps but forgot to post here, also noticed Chris 6x6.

I have my first 2018 comp next weekend and I haven't really practiced since Christmas, so I really expect nothing. No big blind and some harsh (for me cutoffs) won't be of help also :p. I might get angry at me for being one of the organizers :)

Next month we organize another comp, and the following month another one (some big blind and multi on those I'll try to practice a bit and get some good results.

The following month we have Euros, and I find some euro-oldies missing any chance you could make it, guys?

phreaker

Update from me:

I moved and lost all my specialized lubes. I have to replace those at some point, my OH cube is becoming a bit... Ew.

OH: I feel like I'm keeping my speed or slowing just a hair... but maybe it is making more sense. Hard to say.

3BLD: I finally feel like I'm getting it... I've had major issues tracing, but my last 3 solves have all been successes. I'm not timing myself yet, but I know I'm getting faster.

Still using all audio memo (yes, no visual). M2/OP. Trying to figure out comms as I have time, but memo and trusting my memo is probably #1 right now.

Grats to all those getting new PRs, and those attempting to do better. Without failure there is no success.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
I received a Shengshou Mr. M Magnetic stickerless $6 cube. Somehow very heavy and bulky, strong snappy magnets and the surface of the cube is quite grainy, which gives it an odd feel. I absolutely hate it for normal 3x3 solving, way too blocky and corner cutting is abysmal. However, for some reason it seems I can't fail bld solves on it. Only 6 solves so far, but 6 consecutive successes is unheard of for me. Didn't even have 4 consecutive yet this year. First of those 6 was untimed, the next five was new Ao5 pb, 2:32.82.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this cube to the fast bld solvers in this thread. It's too slow. But for someone slow like me, it seems to work well. It's like solving a brick. I have this very solid item in my hands and I know exactly what it is doing all the time.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I've been wanting to make some force cubes for a while now, but I don't want to break the bank in doing so as they are more of a show piece as apposed to cubes to be used in competition. At the moment I am between the MF3RS2 and the Yuxin Little Magic.

I have a couple MF3RS2's and I think that with magnets it is a great cube. I have however heard good reviews about the Yuxin Little Magic, but sadly I do not have one to compare directly with. Has anyone here used both these cubes to give an honest assessment ? I plan to magnetise them because I can, and IMO gives cubes much needed stability especially when cubes flex a lot.

Ideally I would love to make some Force Valk Power M's ... but my budget doesn't allow for that.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a couple MF3RS2's and I think that with magnets it is a great cube. I have however heard good reviews about the Yuxin Little Magic, but sadly I do not have one to compare directly with. Has anyone here used both these cubes to give an honest assessment

These are differnet cubes. YLM is light, very smooth and hard to control - it's like GAN with purple ges and very loose (and with no magnets of course). MF3RS2 - you know what cube it is.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another great pre-work 3BLD session, 54.78 aob10/20 with 10 sub-1s of which two sub-50. Breaking the official sub-1 barrier at the weekend seems to have pushed me past a plateau at home too. I'm going to keep pushing 3BLD hard and see if I can break sub-50 in time for Euros! It's nice to feel confident instead of stuck :)

I also had a 36.63 DNF by an M slice :eek: ... Would have been first sub-40 and PB by 6 seconds.