• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Old but still viable

Which 3x3 cubes are still viable?

• MoYu Weilong

• Dayan Zhanchi

• Fangshi Shuang Ren

• Dayan Guhong

Results are only viewable after voting.

DecimatingSky

WCA
2014KIMJ01
Judging by the thread title, you should know what this is about.

I, for example, still main my Fangshi Shuangren v1 (possibly because I haven't gotten an order in forever) but I actually prefer it over my friend's (albeit horribly set-up) yuexiao. In fact, it corner cuts about 50 and reverses 1 cubie. This is after having it for a while, but even after getting some of the newer cubes, I may find that this amazingly set-up cube may be preferred over the horribly set-up new cubes. It's turning is as fast as a yuexiao, controllable, never pops, and corner cuts almost as good as it gets.

The only problem is that it corner twists quite a bit.

Anyone else have an old but great cube?

Drad

Judging by the thread title, you should know what this is about.

I, for example, still main my Fangshi Shuangren v1 (possibly because I haven't gotten an order in forever) but I actually prefer it over my friend's (albeit horribly set-up) yuexiao. In fact, it corner cuts about 50 and reverses 1 cubie. This is after having it for a while, but even after getting some of the newer cubes, I may find that this amazingly set-up cube may be preferred over the horribly set-up new cubes. It's turning is as fast as a yuexiao, controllable, never pops, and corner cuts almost as good as it gets.

The only problem is that it corner twists quite a bit.

Anyone else have an old but great cube?
I think you should go with the weilong because the shanty has center issues and the caps fall off often.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Out of those cubes, I have a Zhanchi, a Guhong and a Weilong. The guhong pops way too often to be usable (stripped core), but it's got the best feeling out of all my cubes, even the new ones. The Weilong has always had a slight catching which I don't like, but the Zhanchi sits on my desk at work and I solve it all the time. That said, I wouldn't choose to use it in a competition because I'd pick almost any if my more modern cubes over it.

turtwig

I still have my Zhanchi as my backup main. I use it sometimes when I'm to lazy to find my Yuexiao. It has horrible corning cutting, but its turning speed is on par with modern cubes imo.

Last edited:

DecimatingSky

WCA
2014KIMJ01
I used a shuangren in comp because i lost my 3x3 and i got a really bad average.
keep in mind my shuangren has been tensioned multiple times, has been lubed and cleaned multiple times, has been dropped multiple times, and has been broken in, and then some. It's probably just mine, but I have zero problem with caps falling off. looking at the pieces in some places the plastic is very deteriorated, which promotes corner cutting almost on par with the yuexiao and other modern cubes

Connor Balog

My Zhanchi is pretty good for how old it is, it just eats through lube and is a pain to set up properly.