• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Number of Cubies problem

Oo, nice find. Wolfram Alpha helpfully points out that that function is equivalent to
\( K(x) = \frac{\sin(\pi x)}{\pi - \pi x} \)

Be careful, equivalent except for K(1), which is the most important function value. Here you get a division by zero error.

You must define K(x)= Sin(pi*x)/(pi - pi*x) for x<>1 and K(x)= 1 for x=1

But in this way you get a case distinction between x=1 and x >1 which is funny if we remember what this thread is all about.

That's true, but the limit at x=1 is 1, which is formal enough for me. In WolframAlpha, if you ask to evaluate that function at x=1, it simply spits back a 1 without even warning you about the denominator. (Incidentally, if gamma(2-x) is undefined for most positive integers, is it still alright to divide by it?)

I think indeed this discussion is very academic, nevertheless an expression like 0/0 is meaningless per se, whereas in the extendend complex plane (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere) Gamma(2-x) is well defined with Gamma(2-x)=ComplexInfinity for x=2,3,4... and hence 1/Gamma[2-x]=0 is defined too.
But I will not insist on all this, I just wanted to have a bulletproof definition where no one could say that implicitly it includes a case distinction.

m1r0

I don't know if this has been already resolved, but wouldn't (x^3-[x-1]^3)+([x-1]^3-[x-2]^3)*|[sin(pi y)/(pi - pi y) at y=x]-1| work? (27-8)+(8-1)*|0-1|= 26 for a 3 by 3. And for a 1 by 1, (1-0)+(0-1)*|1-1|=1
I'm not sure that this is correct, because I am slightly basing this off of the post by qqwref. Yes, and I do know this is an old discussion.

Edit: Also, this was kind've thrown together in a minute, not a very elegant situation, just using a little limit problem to detect if x is one, it is not very elegant at all.

Last edited:

AndersB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BERG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I think this has been made way more complex then it actually is.

I like to approach the problem like this: For example in a 7x7, when you remove all invisible cubies, you remove a 5x5. That means 7x7x7-5x5x5=the number of cubies.
For all cubes it would look like this, if x is the sidelength: x^3-(x-2)^3 = number of cubies. Am i not right?

This does not apply to the cubes smaller then a 2x2, but i think it does'nt really matter...