• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

SimonV

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a pretty young and chill math teacher. But on this schooltrip we were on the train and he asked me how to solve it, i tried explaining him but he kept forgetting the algs. But he did pretty good. I brought my Miror Blocks with me (my friend asked me too) and litterally 80% of the hole class was like 'wow' and 'that's easy, it has no stickers', 'how do you even solve that' etc. My friend is a noob cuber (he uses beginners method on everything and ask's me how to do f2l because he doesn't want to ''cheat'' by looking on the internet, then i explain him everything and he was not paying attention at all :mad: sometimes my friend is annoying :() Oh well... my math teacher actually asked a question on the last exam that was somewhat referring to a 5x5;).

And another friend (wich is even more annoying and that is not into cubing) always says when he sees someone with a 3x3 that i can 'do the cube' in 20 seconds (my pb is 20.62) and i always have to tell them that i average just under 30-25 seconds and that is while using a speedcube.

And another person in my class 'Are you even from Earth?'

Last edited:

S1neWav_

WCA
2016RODR25
YouTube
Visit Channel
"I tried to do that thing once, but I got just one sticker messed up and I couldn't fix it."

Oh, and this is really off-topic, but I'd like some advice:

At my swim team there's a kid who can solve a 3x3 and 4x4. He says he learned all by himself, and when I watch him, he's just doing Dan Brown method. When he shows me 4x4, which I believed at first.

So I setup OLL parity for him, and he goes "Oh, the orientation parity" and he solves it using the same algorithm I use.a And he continues to claim that he figured it out on his own. What do I do?

Ask him how he knows what a parity is if he figured it out himself! I didn't know what a parity was until i started doing solves and getting wierd cases on the last layer

WCA
2013BARK01
1. "How do you solve this thing?" *turning mirror blocks*

2. *watches me unbox pyraminx* "Wow! What a cool cube!"

3. They scramble my 3x3 for me and I mess up a PLL algorithm and give it back to them.
"Ha! I scrambled it too hard for you, you couldn't solve it."

4. *sees me pop a cube* "Oooooh you broke it!"

5. When I went to a competition, they thought I would win, but I average Sub40. You know the outcome.

6. *sees my entire collection on my table*
"Are these thing your best friends/ life or something?" (this one is annoying):confused:

7. "I can solve it faster than you!" *takes a solved cube, turns the top face 4 times*
I also average sub-40
and sub-30
and sub-20
and sub-15
and sub-13

M

Malkom

I also average sub-40
and sub-30
and sub-20
and sub-15
and sub-13
That way of saying it (sub X) is kinda bad, because technically people like Feliks and Lucas are sub 40, 30, 20 and so on. Maybe a new way of telling how fast you are should be made?

WCA
2013BARK01
That way of saying it (sub X) is kinda bad, because technically people like Feliks and Lucas are sub 40, 30, 20 and so on. Maybe a new way of telling how fast you are should be made?
I always just give a specific amount of time or a range, like:
2x2: 3.8
3x3: 12.5
4x4: 1:10
5x5: 2:15
6x6: 4:20-4:40
etc.

oh and I love the off-topic discussion in the off-topic discussion subforum

Turn n' burn

I once had my cube out at a ping pong get-together with some buddies (one of whom used to solve), and while I was ping-ponging, I noticed he had picked it up and started solving on it. What was funny though, was he got to a z perm and didn't remember the alg, so I said M2 U M2 U M' U2 M2 U2 M' U2 across the room (he solved it), and the rest of my friends looked at us like we were psychics.

JimCube

WCA
2016REGA04
I went to my previous school once with my thunderclap and everyone wanted to try it, and someone said that they could scramble faster than me, so i was like, can you scramble an official scramble? They were like, yeah, *starts scrambling randomly, so i show them an official scramble generated on plus timer, and theyre like: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? ALGEBRA?
And every other person tells me they have a friend who is sub-10. LIES! ALL LIES!
Meh.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When its a certain amount of twists, it is solvable. I dont know the number tho, i havent experimented

It's whenever the twists add up to a multiple of 3 (including 0). What I mean is, a clockwise twist counts as 1, a counterclockwise twist counts as -1, and no twist counts as 0. Add all those numbers up, and if it adds up to a multiple of 3, it's solvable.

JimCube

WCA
2016REGA04
It's whenever the twists add up to a multiple of 3 (including 0). What I mean is, a clockwise twist counts as 1, a counterclockwise twist counts as -1, and no twist counts as 0. Add all those numbers up, and if it adds up to a multiple of 3, it's solvable.
Dayum! I didnt think that hard for this. Lol. You seem to have done a lot of thought. Nice! :)