• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New, old cuber

Michael919

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I guess I'm a first generation cuber. I started back in the early 1980's when the Rubics Cube first came out. I solved using the old Rubics method from the first book. I was solving under 2 minutes with that old method and horrible cube. That lasted several months and I moved on to other things.

About 2005 my oldest son got into cubing and I got the bug. I bought several import speed cubes and learned the newer methods. Boy, things had really changed with the method and cubes! I cubed for several months, solving in 45 second average. Other interests got in the way and cubing faded away again.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I saw a Rubiks Speed Cube kit at the store and bought it on a whim. I was curious if they pulled off a good upgrade. They did, but it is still pretty bad, as you know. I played with that for about a month, relearning how to solve.

I then ordered a Gans 356S and an Air because I needed something good and also quiet because I solve on the couch next to my wife and I don't want to drive her crazy. I've also added a Valk 3 and I have a Tang Long and a GTS 2 on the way. These new cubes are worlds better than my cubes from 12 years ago!

I'm down to about 40 seconds with 4-look, but usually just take my time with quiet, 1 minute solves, looking for new F2L solutions. I'm really enjoying it and I hope to keep at it longer this third time around. It's good for my aging mind. My fingers and mind don't work fast enough to really aspire to become a sub 20 and I don't think I will learn all the algs to go past 4-look, but who know.

Wow, wrote a lot. Cheers!

efattah

I also started cubing in the 1980's, and took it up again a year and a half ago, but I will say that I believe that having cubing experience from decades ago helps a lot in terms of your pattern recognition. The cube is 'familiar' and the mind is used to tracking pieces and how they move. It is actually a big advantage versus someone who has never picked up a cube before.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I guess I'm a first generation cuber. I started back in the early 1980's when the Rubics Cube first came out. I solved using the old Rubics method from the first book. I was solving under 2 minutes with that old method and horrible cube. That lasted several months and I moved on to other things.

About 2005 my oldest son got into cubing and I got the bug. I bought several import speed cubes and learned the newer methods. Boy, things had really changed with the method and cubes! I cubed for several months, solving in 45 second average. Other interests got in the way and cubing faded away again.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I saw a Rubiks Speed Cube kit at the store and bought it on a whim. I was curious if they pulled off a good upgrade. They did, but it is still pretty bad, as you know. I played with that for about a month, relearning how to solve.

I then ordered a Gans 356S and an Air because I needed something good and also quiet because I solve on the couch next to my wife and I don't want to drive her crazy. I've also added a Valk 3 and I have a Tang Long and a GTS 2 on the way. These new cubes are worlds better than my cubes from 12 years ago!

I'm down to about 40 seconds with 4-look, but usually just take my time with quiet, 1 minute solves, looking for new F2L solutions. I'm really enjoying it and I hope to keep at it longer this third time around. It's good for my aging mind. My fingers and mind don't work fast enough to really aspire to become a sub 20 and I don't think I will learn all the algs to go past 4-look, but who know.

Wow, wrote a lot. Cheers!
Welcome to the forum. Pop along to the Older cubers discussions thread and say Hi. Do you do any other events?