[New!] mf8+Dayan 4x4 V2 & V3, Dayan Megaminx V2

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Ein, Jan 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Lexington, MA
    WCA:
    2011LOWR01
    They are different. Some differences I can see are:
    -The edge pieces on the black cube have an extra bar in the center that the red ones don't
    -the center pieces on the red have a thin extension that the black ones don't have
    -The pieces on the black one are rounded at the corners, whereas the red one is more like a zhanchi (straight-cut)

2. EMI

EMI Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Germany
    WCA:
    2011RHEI01
    YouTube:
    EMI94100

And here it is :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks!!

Uhmm.. wild request: can you do slice moves with it without locking?

4. EMI

EMI Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Germany
    WCA:
    2011RHEI01
    YouTube:
    EMI94100
    Oh, it's not my video, I wish it was. It's just the video by 51mf I was reffering to in my last post^^

5. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Owhhhh sorry bout that. hehe.
    Hopefully when someone gets it they make a vid with doing slice moves :)

6. mati1242

mati1242 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Poland
    Seems to be a little locky.

7. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That is all a matter of proper tensioning (at least with the bigger SS cubes it is); too loose and it locks.

8. Zeotor

Zeotor Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The following 51morefun video shows slice moves on the primary color on. (At least, I think it does. My computer's going so slow it makes dial-up seem fast.)

51morefun also has a video up of the primary color mf8 megaminx v3. Link.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  9. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Double slices indeed. I really wonder about this since the ss 4x4 both versions lock when you do slices.

10. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    Mine has just arrived.

1st impression, disappointing.

It turned up unlubed so I fully disassembled it and rebuilt it while lubing.
    I dialled in the tensions for about half an hour and just can't seem to find a good all rounder.

The inner layers are smooth, the outer layer is catchy and as a result so are the slices.

=(

I shall update if I get the cube tensioned just right but at the moment I'm not very hopeful.

11. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    So the outer layer according to you has not improved compared to the previous version dayan/mf8?

12. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    Worse than the 6.6, better than the 6.0. Hasn't popped yet.

13. LarryLunchmeat

LarryLunchmeat Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Although this cube looks very sexy, I think I've given up on ball cores.... I just can't seem to get tensions right or something.
    Who am I kidding, I'm totally buying this.

14. mati1242

mati1242 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Poland
    I don't have this cube in my hands, but I was expecting that it will be locky, because of the pieces.
    Maybe it will be getting better with solves, but I think that it will lock up quite often even after breaking in.

I'm kinda worried about the PanShi - because it also have different pieces that can cause lock ups.

We'll se.

15. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    On revision worse than the 6.0.
    I just cannot find a tension where the outer layer is usable.

Let's hope the 6.7 or V are awesome.

16. Any ideas what exactly is causing the locking? Do you think it might be modded to make it better? Looks like the corners might have the same issue as those on the Dayan megaminx with the outer parts catching on the centres, is that the case? I really want this to be a good cube.

17. ncube

ncube Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    WCA:
    2010BAYL01
    YouTube:
    cuber1456
    I have an idea about the locking. I think it's because in the 2x2 core, those pieces aren't rounded. As a result, when the outer layers want to cut, the 2x2 cannot cut with it. So, I guess to counter that one could do the Florian mod on the 2x2 pieces. I'm kinda worried though.
    edit: if only dayan used their new 2x2 in progress for the internal 2x2...