New cube simulation software - testers needed

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by TheFex, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    CubeKing - New cube simulation software - testers needed

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for experienced cubers to help me test out my new cube simulation software: CubeKing. I'm creating the software for my own educational purposed but I would like to release it to the community.

CubeKing allows me to generate different sorts of cubes, scramble and solve them.

http://cubeking.dyndns.info/

Check out the Youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIswVza9zg

If you are a cube lover and know a few algorithms, please test out my software and let me know what you think. CubeKing requires the latest version of Silverlight 5 and will run in your browser on Windows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All sorts of feedback is welcome, thanks in advance for your contribution!

- TheFex
    http://cubeking.dyndns.info/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. asportking

asportking Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Michigan
    YouTube:
    asportkingSoF
    I'd like to test it, where's the link?

3. JensRenders

JensRenders Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I want to test :) i can solve pretty much any size cube :)

4. RNewms27

RNewms27 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    YouTube:
    Rnewms0
    Bah, Windows. You thwart me once again.

5. ben1996123

ben1996123 Banned

May 17, 2009
    Ponyville
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    I'll test it. Does the program let cuboids shapeshift?

6. JCVP11

JCVP11 Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Ill Test it.. Wheres the Link :)

7. Owen

Owen Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Looks awesome. I've always wanted an alternative to jflysim's horrid cuboid simulation.

8. JensRenders

JensRenders Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I bet it doesn't, but that would be very cool :D

9. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks for the responses everybody, I've included the link at the top of the thread!!

Unfortunately no. I've worked on this behavior for a while but I'm having bandaging problems.
    Good question though .. perhaps sometime in the future. :)

CubeKing is currently made with Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0 and Silverlight 5.
    What platform would you like to see included?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  10. RNewms27

RNewms27 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    YouTube:
    Rnewms0
    I use a Mac. I'm not sure what works with it.

11. MaeLSTRoM

MaeLSTRoM Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    WCA:
    2011WALL02
    YouTube:
    MLSTRMRVLTN
    Ooh silverlight, I approve.
    IIRC:
    Silverlight is supported on windows, mac and linux, so it should work (the linux port is called moonlight and is part of mono)

12. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    I have done a few 2x2 and 3x3 solves and this seems like a cool program.

Things I would suggest adding would be a timer and a move counter, have it recognize double turns, and try to see if you can implement a keyboard turning system which you can customize yourself.

I would also suggest adding other shaped puzzles even though this might be hard to do. If you do want to try doing this, do pyraminx first.

13. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    As far as I know the 3D capabilities in Silverlight 5 (powered by XNA) only runs on Windows. Also, I don't think Silverlight 5 has been ported to Mono yet. I've understood that XNA doesn't run on OSX in Silverlight 5.
    I wouldn't mind you proving me wrong though, anyone?

14. aaronb

aaronb Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Maine, USA
    I would like a customizable keyboard control system. That is the big thing. Other than that, maybe some small things like a timer that works to the hundredths? I love the program though. I will keep updating with any changes I would like to see. :)

Edit: Another thing is the notation. On 3x3x3, I think using M, E, and S, would be better than "1R2, 1L, 1B' " type moves. Also, instead of 2F, 2F', and 2F2 on 3x3 scramble notation, you should use B, B', and B2 respectively. Same with how you use 2U, 2U', and 2U2 instead of D, D', and D2. On the moves you have done to the cube, it is fine, but the scramble notation is kind of weird. Wide turns would also be nice to add.

Again, great job on the program, I am loving it.

Edit2: An undo button would be nice.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  15. FinnGamer

FinnGamer Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012ICKL01
    I like it, but it's pretty hard with the mouse, especially R moves

16. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Alliright, I've made a few minor changes and implemented a first way to control the cube using the keyboard.
    What do you guys think? How would you suggest inner slices and wide turns (should I name them like that?)?

Thanks everybody, keep the comments coming!

I've added some keyboard controls, but you should definitely try using a touch screen if you have one!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  17. aaronb

aaronb Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Maine, USA
    I am liking the updates, but I do have 2 things I would like to see changed. 1: Maybe keyboard controls for the back, left, and down faces as well?

2: A few things are in the way.
    [​IMG]
    I circled the cube to the left, because it blocks some of the settings; and I made a yellow arrow/circle of where I think it should go. I also circled the CubeKing logo, because it blocks the "Start Timer" and "Undo Previous Move" buttons; I made an arrow/circle of where I think it should go.

Besides those 2 things, I see no other flaws. It is an awesome program.

18. soup

soup Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Top Kek
    YouTube:
    s16269
    It looks very nice so far. As for suggestions, maybe allow the cube to be dragged to any position? (e.g. drags other than 90º turns.). I'm sure it'd make things easier to work with.
    But, overall, it looks awesome. Keep up the good work, man.

There's my $0.02.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  19. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks for that, I use a slightly higher resolution. I noticed that some of the settings aren't visible to you. You can change your browser zoom level to adjust. (CTRL + mousescroll). Also I made the changes you suggested. Thanks!

20. TheFex

TheFex Member

Apr 7, 2012
    All manipulations are fixed to the perspective for now. Unfortunately what you ask for has proven to be quite hard to fine-tune. I'll work on it though, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012