• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New 2015 WCA Regulations (Effective July 1, 2015)

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree but if the best ever solve recorded at a competition was with a certain type of cube, a lot of people would consider switching and I don't think that that would be blindly switching because the wr is good basis for a switch. People would switch in the same way as when many the majority switched to yau for 4x4 when Sebastian Weyer broke the WR avg with yau for the first time. (30.81).Every 4x4 wr after that was done with yau where before the majority used redux. The wr undoubtedly had a massive effect on the way people solved the cube.

Let me get this straight.

You don't like stickerless cubes.
If they were allowed, you'd feel obligated to get something you don't like instead of sticking with what you do like.
You feel this obligation because you feel the advantage isn't necessarily negligible.

Remember what cube the 7.08 WR was set with more than six years ago. Now think of the difference between 7.08 seconds and 5.55 seconds. Now consider the advancements in cube hardware over that time.
I'm not one to say "it's the cuber, not the cube", but a lot of it is the cuber and how well the cuber's style matches the capabilities of the cubes the cuber picks.
Use what best suits your style, case closed.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I agree but if the best ever solve recorded at a competition was with a certain type of cube, a lot of people would consider switching and I don't think that that would be blindly switching because the wr is good basis for a switch. People would switch in the same way as when many the majority switched to yau for 4x4 when Sebastian Weyer broke the WR avg with yau for the first time. (30.81).Every 4x4 wr after that was done with yau where before the majority used redux. The wr undoubtedly had a massive effect on the way people solved the cube.

You're not forced to do everything the majority does, you know.

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
Would bad stickers on cubes be legal? I know that the WCA has banned badly stickered cubes because you can reach your hand around the other side of the cube and feel the shape of the sticker identifying which piece it is.
It's just a suggestion to a new rule. Making badly stickered cube legal.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would bad stickers on cubes be legal? I know that the WCA has banned badly stickered cubes because you can reach your hand around the other side of the cube and feel the shape of the sticker identifying which piece it is.
It's just a suggestion to a new rule. Making badly stickered cube legal.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Also consider that many people use how much of one color they see to determine a +2.

With the exception of BLD, I would like to know exactly why anyone would want to actually use a poorly stickered cube. Wouldn't seeing more of one color per cubie help recognition?

phasornc

One more wrinkle to the stickerless cube question. My son is red/green colorblind and with certain stickerless cubes can't tell two sides apart. He often gets out a sharpie and puts a dot in the middle of each square on one of the problematic sides. Since rule 3d1 states "Exception: Competitors with a medically documented visual disability may use textured puzzles with different textures on different faces. Textures/patterns must be uniform per face," I take this to mean that placing a dot made by a sharpie in the middle of each square of one face qualifies as a "uniform" "pattern", and that should be legal for competition? Any thoughts or alternative interpretation?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
2015 Puzzle Regulations

One more wrinkle to the stickerless cube question. My son is red/green colorblind and with certain stickerless cubes can't tell two sides apart. He often gets out a sharpie and puts a dot in the middle of each square on one of the problematic sides. Since rule 3d1 states "Exception: Competitors with a medically documented visual disability may use textured puzzles with different textures on different faces. Textures/patterns must be uniform per face," I take this to mean that placing a dot made by a sharpie in the middle of each square of one face qualifies as a "uniform" "pattern", and that should be legal for competition? Any thoughts or alternative interpretation?

I know it costs more but you could swap the red or green side out for black from another cube.

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Or sticker/tile it with distinguishable shades. Defeats the point of it being stickerless but it works :)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I wouldn't allow this, as per: 3d2) The colours of puzzles must be solid, with one uniform colour per face. Each colour on the puzzle must be clearly distinct from the other colours.

3d1 is designed to allow competitors to use something like different shaped stickers.

Of course, at this stage stickerless cubes are still not allowed. Whether there are changes to 3d in the future is another question.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Soooooo... last chance. Are we allowing stickerless puzzles in 2015? :)

Refer to OP and this:

The WCA Board has given WRC clearance to allow stickerless cubes for 2015. (Provided that clear, carefully written regulations will be made in time, which shouldn't be an issue)

Thus, we would like to shift discussion to tiles and pillowed cubes.

cubernya

Premium Member
I wouldn't allow this, as per: 3d2) The colours of puzzles must be solid, with one uniform colour per face. Each colour on the puzzle must be clearly distinct from the other colours.

3d1 is designed to allow competitors to use something like different shaped stickers.

Of course, at this stage stickerless cubes are still not allowed. Whether there are changes to 3d in the future is another question.

I think the colour is more a thing for the scramblers and judges. I (personally) don't see a problem with what he described, since there is still both red and green sides

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the colour is more a thing for the scramblers and judges. I (personally) don't see a problem with what he described, since there is still both red and green sides

I also don't have a problem with it. But it's not up to me, the regulations are clear on the matter. I already put forward my opinion to Lucas that the regulations should be changed to allow such a thing.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was hoping there would be an official decision/announcement about this, but clearly, 2015 regulations won't be announced today. They would have been severely rushed if we did that, and given what happened last year, that's not what we want. Decisions will be presented to delegates to review/vote, and after that, we will release new regulations. I don't have an official timeline for this yet.