Negative Time Solving Contest 2014

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by macky, Oct 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    It's the 11th year of the annual Negative Time Solving Contest!

DST (Daylight Saving Time) ends in many countries in Europe during the weekend of October 24, and in most parts of the United States and Canada at 2am on Sunday, November 2. See Time and Date.com to check the clock change schedule in your area. There's also a Facebook event page (scheduled at North America time).

Please note that each solve started (not just start the timer but actually make a move) before daylight saving ends and completed after it ends counts as a negative solve. This means that you can simultaneously compete in 3x3 speedsolve, 3x3 BLD, multiBLD, etc, at the cost of some extra time in your negative solve.

Thanks to Tyson Mao for bringing this great Caltech tradition to cubing. Good luck to all participants!

macky

p.s. Is there enough interest in a Southern hemisphere version of this? It's easy enough for me to run this twice a year.

2. Noahaha

Noahaha blindmod

Dec 19, 2011
    CT
    WCA:
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube:
    NoahCubes
    Does this apply to BLD?

3. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    I think it's safe to say that's up to you. I did it this way last year, but not the previous years. I like to keep track of my memorization and my execution time. So for instance, last year, I did 7x7x7 BLD in -17 minutes, 2 seconds, with memorization time: 22:18 and execution time: -39:20. In previous years, I had negative memorization time and positive execution time.

4. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    The last couple times I've participated I've only done BLD :)

5. RageCuber

RageCuber Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Kentucky
    WCA:
    2014RYAN03
    YouTube:
    XileSolver
    how does the timer start automatically?

6. Musicalboy2

Musicalboy2 Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    WCA:
    2012CHOW03
    YouTube:
    tchowcubes
    Somehow managed a sub 10 (sub -59:50, really). I typoed in the submission form, though and therefore ended up submitting twice... sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  8. supercavitation

supercavitation Member

Feb 9, 2014
    WCA:
    2014BLOC01
    Did a 2-5 Relay in -54:10.10.
    Scrambles:

2x2: R' U' F2 R' U F U
    3x3:U L2 F2 L2 D2 B2 U B2 R2 F2 D2 R L2 F D' R' D2 L' B' R D' U' (Should have used the official scramble, but forgot until I was 10 seconds into inspection)
    4x4:B' U Fw2 B2 R2 F' L' Rw B2 L R B' U' B2 Rw' R U2 Fw B' D' Fw U2 Fw' L' F B' Rw Uw' D2 F Fw' Rw Fw' U Uw2 L' F' Fw' U2 Uw
    5x5:B' Dw R U R F' L2 Lw' R B' Rw2 Fw2 Uw2 Dw' B' Lw R2 Bw2 Uw2 Dw2 F Lw2 Uw' L2 Uw F2 R' U' Rw R F Fw' Bw2 B' Uw2 Dw2 B L2 R' U2 D' F D' B2 Uw2 D' Fw2 D Bw' Lw Bw Uw' Rw U R D F Lw U' Dw