Negative Time Solving Contest 2011

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by macky, Oct 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    Continuing with what has now become a tradition, I'm once again organizing the annual Negative Time Solving Contest. The scrambles for this year and the time submission form will soon be posted.

DST (Daylight Saving Time) ends at 3am on Sunday, October 30 in many European countries. In most parts of the United States and Canada, DST ends at 2am on Sunday, November 6. See Time and Date.com to check the clock change schedule in your area. Results from Europe will NOT be posted until the results from North America come in a week later.

Please note that each solve started (not just start the timer but actually make a move) before daylight saving ends and completed after it ends counts as a negative solve. This means that you can simultaneously compete in 3x3 speedsolve, 3x3 BLD, multiBLD, etc, at the cost of some extra time in your negative solve.

Once again, thanks to Tyson Mao for bringing this great Caltech tradition to cubing. Good luck to all participants!

2. flee135

flee135 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2008LEEF01
    YouTube:
    flee135
    Whoops! That means my BLD solve in 2008 had a positive time. I started memorizing before the time change, but don't think I timed it so that my first turn was before the time change. That seems really tough to do while getting close to an optimal time though, especially for multi

3. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    I think I wrote this rule after Lucas did multiple puzzles this way and before anybody tried negative-time multi-BLD. I don't think it makes much sense since multi-BLD is one event, so go ahead and just start memorizing, not necessarily solving, before the time change. I'll think about rephrasing this.

4. AustinReed

AustinReed Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona
    WCA:
    2011REED01
    YouTube:
    CubeKick
    The perks of living in Arizona... :-/

5. vcuber13

vcuber13 Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Near Toronto
    WCA:
    2009METH01
    YouTube:
    simpsons36109
    bump so people remember

6. Sa967St

Sa967St Moderator Staff Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Waterloo, ON, Canada
    WCA:
    2007STRO01
    YouTube:
    Sa967St
    Last year and the year before it I slept through it, and the year before that I forgot. This year I can't do it because I have no cubes with me. ._.
    I'll participate some year...

7. vcuber13

vcuber13 Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Near Toronto
    WCA:
    2009METH01
    YouTube:
    simpsons36109
    do a computer cube

8. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I gotta think of something cool to do this year. In past years I've done some crazy stuff (computer Petaminx in 2010, a relay of 53 different real/sim puzzles in 2009, a 7x7 in 2008 (back when they were pretty new)) and I do want to keep up the tradition.

9. Jaycee

Jaycee Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Crestwood, Illinois
    YouTube:
    Jayceeblaster
    @ Macky, are you updating those manually? My result (just submitted) hasn't shown up, so I assume it's not automated.

10. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    Yep, I'll finalize it tomorrow. The only manual bit I do is ordering based on time and adding <td>place number</td> using a keyboard macro.

11. Evan Liu

Evan Liu Member

Jul 15, 2009
    WCA:
    2009LIUE01
    YouTube:
    channel/UC9ZlPB5lZmX4byumwK1FrHA
    I don't deserve to be 3rd, but I'll take it for now. I hope I get displaced. :p

12. Owen

Owen Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Daylight savings is just changing the clocks back an hour, it doesn't actually effect the flow of time in any way.

13. Andrew Ricci

Andrew Ricci Anonymity is for Nubs

Aug 10, 2010
    Massachusetts, USA
    WCA:
    2010RICC02
    YouTube:
    theanonymouscuber
    Whoa, no way! I bet Macky had no idea that time doesn't actually go backwards. It looks like the whole Negative Time Solving Contest should be discontinued due to this amazing revelation.

14. Vincents

Vincents Member

Jan 9, 2010
    WCA:
    2006SHEU01
    I...won?! Where are all the fast people?!

15. Andreaillest

Andreaillest Premium Member

Jul 10, 2008
    SoCal
    WCA:
    2012PANY02
    YouTube:
    xAsianRejectx
    I had totally forgot about this. :(
    The whole time I was thinking I was suppose to be doing something. Next time. :(

16. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    Second! But still, we missed some fast people this year who usually compete.

Anthony Brooks won Negative Time Solving Contest 2011 with the most negative time of -59 minutes 51.08 seconds. Head over to the finalized results for some impressive achievements and attempts, including a negative-time 4x4 Multi-BLD 4/4 by Chris Hardwick!