• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Names for fingertricks?

Evan Wright

WCA
2012WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it would be a good idea to have some standardized names for fingertricks.

There is already a few, such as:
R U R' U' (sexy move)
R' F R F' (sledgehammer)

I think it would be beneficial to have names for more common fingertricks, such as
R U2 R'
R U R',
F R' F' R
R U R' U

Having names for these would make memorizing algs a lot easier. For example, instead of R U R' U R U2 R' (sune), it could be written as
(name1) (name2)

(I am terrible at coming up with names so i just inserted generic ones)

What other fingertricks should have names? Also, help me come up with names for the ones I have.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it would be a good idea to have some standardized names for fingertricks.

There is already a few, such as:
R U R' U' (sexy move)
R' F R F' (sledgehammer)

I think it would be beneficial to have names for more common fingertricks, such as
R U2 R'
R U R',
F R' F' R
R U R' U

Having names for these would make memorizing algs a lot easier. For example, instead of R U R' U R U2 R' (sune), it could be written as
(name1) (name2)

(I am terrible at coming up with names so i just inserted generic ones)

What other fingertricks should have names? Also, help me come up with names for the ones I have.

Falcon Sledghammer/ Reverse Sledgehammer (F R' F' R)
Sexy (R U R' U)
Too Sexy (R U2 R')
Lazy Sexy (R U R')

R U R' U R U2 R' = Sexy Too Sexy :p
Weird names, I am also bad at them but no harm in trying :p

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From the way you talk about these fingertricks, HIJK notation will probably cover most of your needs except sledgehammer, and the only thing that really matters is K = R U R'.

Sune: K U K2

Other names are cute, but they are likely to stay non-standard -- and not everyone will agree with your mnemonic/interpretation, or think that it's a good come up with weird nicknames for all sorts of simple variants on the same thing.

vino1105

Is "Sexy move" and "Sledgehammer" the only standardized names for triggers?

R U R' F' should have a standardized name. Same with R' F R F'