• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Weilong GTS 3x3

How would you rate this puzzle?

• Total voters

Arkines

This thread is for reviews of the Weilong GTS. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle. When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:
Where the puzzle was purchased:
When the puzzle was purchased:
Thoughts on the puzzle:

What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Arkines

I purchased the puzzle at The Cubicle for $17 on 5/3/16

Out of the box the puzzle was much better than any other cube I have, with my newest cube at the time being the Qiyi Thunderclap. It was slightly sandy, but also slightly crunchy and turning was very light and airy, due to how little contact there is between the pieces. Corner twisting is very rare and hard to do by hand. It is much more flexible than the original Weilong. After about 300 solves, the sandy feeling has gone away and the cube has gotten slightly crunchier.

I disagree with those who say that this cube is too fast, and when lubing I used Cubicle Weight 5 on the core, and Weight 1 on the pieces. With how I have set it up, this cube has seamless cornercutting. If it doesn't do a normal cut, it does a reverse cut.
Overall this cube is very good and I see it becoming many other people's mains.

DecimatingSky

WCA
2014KIMJ01
Purchased it from the Cubicle sometime in may for my birthday (which is in june)
Acquired it on my bday (not saying cuz stranger danger)

Haven't broken it in well, but here's my take.
Initially, it was really really really REALLY dusty and stuff, so playing with it out of the box was really bad. At first I thought it was the tensions so I made it extremely loose and then it was super flimsy and really unstable. I realized finally (and dreadfully) that I had to do a full setup on it (and I'm almost too lazy to even resticker it) so I lubed it with wt. 5 on the bottom of the spring (never lube the top of the spring... at least for me, cuz it makes a weird sound when turning) and wt. 3 and 1 on the pieces. Now it is a very flexible cube, and almost has the same feel as my shuangren (except it's faster and corner cuts much better).
Overall, this is a great cube and it potentially will be my main (I haven't broken in this or my thunderclap so we'll see)

Roux_god

Purchased from: Lightake
Purchase date: June 3 (On my birthday)

Out of the box, this puzzle was very, very fast. After breaking it in with around 100 solves, I felt it became slower. Now, it is amazing and I can average around 25 seconds with it. I bought it in teal.

Sion

I love this cube, but it's fragile. A corner broke on me, and I repaired it myself. It's better now, but moyu should've paid more attention to structural integrity in my opinion.

Aside from that, it pretty much cuts everywhere, and very light. It has a less-bodied gans feel, if that makes sense.

Nezithe7

I just got this cube two days ago. I got it at a local store where I live so its probably not accessible to a lot of people here, but if you want to know, you can go to http://www.cubewerkz.com/password to see the places you can get it in Singapore(if there is stock at the branches listed).
It was the best cube that I have ever used before, partly because I just switched over from an old YJ Yulong(which was my first speedcube).
To me, as a slightly aggressive cuber because I had to turn quite hard on the slow YJ Yulong, it took quite awhile to get used to it. This cube is seriously very fast. But after a day of practicing, I had gotten more used to handling the cube and I broke my PB. I tend to overshoot in the turning, but I guess that is compensated by the great corner cutting on this cube.
I would recommend this cube if you have difficulty with a cube that locks up or has its corners twisting all the time.
I haven't tried adjusting the tension so I don't know whether adjusting the tension will really help with the overshooting.
This cube is also really silent.
Maybe all the good things I said about this cube are there just because my cube is only three days old.
Update: Oops I just realized that I should have posted this after I have used this cube extensively. I guess its fine to leave this here

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Where Purchased: cubezz
When Purchased: 12/20/16, received yesterday 1/3/17

For me, one thought completely summarizes this puzzle: MoYu took what FangShi started and turned it into something special.

The Weilong GTS is MoYu's current flagship 3x3, which is fairly obvious at this point. Out of the box visual impressions are that it uses the modern standard in cubie shapes (rounded square centers, crescent edges, sharp corners). Stickers are standard MoYu shades (which are second only to Valk shades IMO), but my red and orange stickers both have very apparent white edges which sort of detracts from the aesthetic, but is in no way distracting during solves.

First turns on this puzzle were very surprising as the turning feel of this puzzle was so unexpected and so satisfying at the same time. As I hinted above, this puzzle feels like a new and vastly improved FangShi mech, almost like it could be a JieYun V2 without recessed stickers. The turning is super open and airy with a very dry, crispy click to the pieces, and a nice degree of springiness to the layers. Out of the box tensions were set fairly loose, so some of my algs would lock up when my turning was sloppy. However, the cube ships with very little lube and it is apparent that there is a lot of room to customize the feel of this puzzle. With a little lube in the core to get rid of the spring noise and slightly tighter tensions I am locking up only rarely.

My main is currently the Valk 3 and while I don't think the Weilong GTS will replace it, the turning feel is so satisfying I just cannot put the damn thing down. There will always be people who prefer this type of light and airy mech, and with FangShi fading into obscurity, I'm really excited about what MoYu has achieved with this design. Absolutely fantastic cube.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Purchased at TheCubicle for $16; received it about a week later (it was shipped around Tau Day, 6-28 of last year).

I don't normally care too much about packaging, but the box for this cube is pretty sick. Also the stickers for the GTS are very durable, I was impressed at how much they didn't wear after 1,000+ solves.

Out of the box, this cube is way too fast; it's super loose and the corner cutting is great, but it's also a little hard to control. Spamming TPS was hard if I didn't solve smoothly, and I locked up often on algorithms. Tightening the tensions made the cube more controllable, but it started to catch even more! I gave up on this for 2-handed, simple because it's not for my turning style.

For One-Handed, however, I was able to break the GTS in and do hundreds of solves on it, which actually got me more interested in OH (I averaged faster with the WeiLong GTS than any other cube I had). So I continued to break it in and practice, and just a couple days ago I finally got around to setting the cube up with new stickers and lube. I then broke all my OH PB's (Single and Averages of 5, 12, 100). I only average 23-24 but I basically averaged 27 before this cube, and I got immediately faster after using this out of the box and after setting it up.

So considering it's my One-Handed main, I would definitely recommend this cube to certain people! Specifically, if you solve with high TPS, are an inaccurate turner, and/or like the GuoGuan YueXiao, I recommend this right off the bat. Also would recommend trying for OH, though only after breaking it in and probably lubing it since it's a fairly loose cube.

ExultantCarn

WCA
2017CHAN07
I got the Weilong GTS for Christmas and when I first got it I thought that it was pretty okay. I then replaced the core with the Dual Adjustment System, but that was way too loose, so I changed the core back and I didn't touch it for a few days. I tried it again and is my new main over the Moyu Tanglong

Last edited:

Allahjabark

Where the puzzle was purchased: Amazon for $12
When the puzzle was purchased: About 5 days ago
Thoughts on the puzzle: It wasn't an instant main over my MeiYing, but the feeling and speed grew on me over time. I like how rarely mine catches after I evened the tensions and after applying some traxxas 50k on it, it was controllable. Since my turning style is light and accurate, I had no overshooting problems. I also love how clicky it is. I'd get it if I were looking for a new 3x3.