Moves are for n00bs 2012

Discussion in 'Official WCA Competitions' started by Erik, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Erik

Erik Member

I'm organizing another (small) competition on August 25 and 26 in Enschede, the Netherlands. Main focus of this competition is FMC! (probably 6 attempts if you make the finals!)
    Such a competition just screams for an awesome name like 'Thinktank FMC' or whatever. Due to my ability of being not-original I was hoping you could help a little bit.

Also: you are more than welcome to give some tips for the competition. On saturday-evening there will be the possibility to stay in the (small) venue until about midnight and have a chat and drink with everyone!

I'm still trying to arrange some group-sleeping accommodation for little money. People from far away might be invited to my house ;-)

EDIT: REGISTRATION IS OPEN: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/...MovesN00bs2012

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

Fewest-Move-A-Palooza!

Also, you should give out a prize for fewest moves for the total of all attempts (DNF counts as 50 or something like that).

3. Cubenovice

Cubenovice Forever Slow

My fail-attempts at being original:
    Movecount 2012
    How Low Can You Go
    Fancy Moves
    Moves 2012
    Show me your moves
    Frikkies Mega Competion
    Frikkies Mental Challenge
    Frikkies Mega Challenge
    Frikkies Move Challence
    Frikkies Magic Challence (Do NOT have magic as side event but have Rob do some magic tricks)
    Or something along these lines

BTW: Do you already know which “side” events you’re doing?
    Apart from 3x3x3 to please the local crowd you might do some brainy stuff like BLD

4. Escher

Escher Babby

Jul 23, 2008
    WCA:
    2008KINN01
    YouTube:
    RowanKinneavy
    'God's Competition' ;)

Edit: also, 'Moves are for Noobs 2012'

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. mycube

mycube Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Germany, Weingarten
    WCA:
    2011FRES01
    What about 'Brain Challenge 2012'? Then you could do BLD(and maybe 4x4, 5x5 BLD) as sideevent ;)
    Other ideas:
    Fewest Moves Championship 2012
    Fewest Moves 2012
    FMC 2012
    FMC-Skills 2012
    Enschede Open 2012 - Fewest Moves

6. kinch2002

kinch2002 Premium Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Guildford! UK!
    WCA:
    2009SHEP01
    YouTube:
    kinch2002
    I think 6 hours of fmc is enough to kill most people's brains off...I'd rather just concentrate on the fmc, because I know what happens when people try to do bld with a tired brain (e.g. 5bld at Euros 2010)
    I really hope I make it there, and I'll compete in whatever side events there are. Clock is always nice :)

7. Cubenovice

Cubenovice Forever Slow

Ding, ding; we have a winner!

We need 3x3x3 on saturday to lure people into the FMC web :)
    3x3x3 on Sunday (like it is typically done) doesn't allow 1-day visitors to do FMC

This competition must do all it can to spread the FMC love :)

8. Erik

Erik Member

As side event there will of course be 3x3. The chances of having a BLD event are kinda small!
    Don't know about the rest. The events do not necessarily have to be official. I'm thinking about stuff like:

TeamBLD
    Pyraminx (everyone loves Pyraminx)
    Head2head FMC (it's fun, will explain later)
    etc

Cubenovice: err no, I'm not seeking a huge number of competitors. Limit will probably be 30, but it would certainly be nice to have some people who don't think it's a big deal if they don't make the finals. It would suck if for example Okayama would come and we all find good stuff in the first round and he would not make the finals (of course this is not very likely but you get the idea)

9. Henrik

Henrik Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Fyn, Denmark
    WCA:
    2006BUUS01
    YouTube:
    henrikthedane
    He will have feet as a main event! I know he will! :p

10. Gaétan Guimond

Gaétan Guimond Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada Quebec Montreal
    YouTube:
    rubiks99
    I would like to see an average fmc 2x2 (3 or 4) that the record on a 3x3 fmc simple only. The competition would'nt be more time consuming because it is out of the corner.

11. AbstractAlg

AbstractAlg Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    WCA:
    2012OKAN02
    YouTube:
    AbstractAlgorithm
    FMC 2012 (Fix My Cube) xD

12. Robocopter87

Robocopter87 Member

Dec 2, 2010
    New York
    WCA:
    2013KUNK01
    FMC Ladders? Wouldn't that be awesome?

Probably wouldn't work super well now that I think about it.

13. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    FMCube 2012?

That's my best.

14. Sahid Velji

Sahid Velji Member

Jul 5, 2009
    WCA:
    2008VELJ01
    YouTube:
    sv00013
    I have never done FMC, this could be a nice start! If I have the money, I will practice FMC during July a little and then go to this competition. I probably won't though, from Toronto to Amsterdam is expensive. :(

15. Rpotts

Rpotts Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Topikachu, KS
    WCA:
    2010POTT01
    YouTube:
    rpotts1
    Man I thought I was going to be all original but you beat me to it. :C

By far the best submission thus far.

16. Erik

Erik Member

Thanks for suggestions guys!
    Personally I like 'Moves are for n00bs' :p but no name is picked yet.

The venue is now settled, I'm still in the process of arranging some group-accomodation for sleeping. Who would be interested in sleeping in a cabin (15 people) and for how many nights?

17. FMC- Fried my cube xD.

Sounds fun! I might be on holiday that day. For only FMC I dont think I'll come but when 3-5 or 2-5 events are also included I will be there :D

18. JianhanC

JianhanC Member

Jan 1, 2011
    WCA:
    2010CHOO02
  19. IMSLOW1097

IMSLOW1097 Member

Jul 21, 2011
    wherever you want
    WCA:
    2009ABRA01
    YouTube:
    pianoboy1097
    Finger tricks are for d*cks, but FMC is the way to be! haha

20. mycube

mycube Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Germany, Weingarten
    WCA:
    2011FRES01
    i´m thinking about staying till monday because it´s a longe way home and I maybe don´t want to stay in a train over the night.. so friday to monday = 3 nights :)