Miscellaneous / non-useful / gimmicky / random fun ways of solving a cube.

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by evogler, Mar 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. evogler

evogler Member

Mar 30, 2011
    WCA:
    2012VOGL01
    In addition to the usual cubing pursuits, (I'm personally at around 20s cfop, 3:00 blind with BH, nothing special), I like to amuse myself with random ways of solving the cube. I'm curious if people have other ways they've accumulated that I haven't thought of.

Here are some of mine:

-Something like classic pochmann, but where you shoot from UR and URB at the same time. You get setups of maybe 5-7 moves. I like having to concentrate to undo them correctly.
    Someone just posted another variation of this in the bld forum, where you shoot an edge and a corner, but you use whichever PLL gives you the quickest setup. They meant it more as a potential serious method, but I think it's worth mentioning here also.

-Same thing but with G-perms and shooting 2 edges and 2 corners at a time. I've never gotten all the way through a solve doing this. Even working the following out with cube explorer was kind of exhausting:
    L2 D' B2 F2 D L2 B2 L2 F2 U' L2 B' D F' R F' L' U R2 F2 R2
    [U' L2 F' U' L2 U2 D2 L: Gd]
    [U' R2 D' L2 B U' L F2: Gd]
    [B2 R' F2 L B2 U' F2: Gd]
    [D' F2 D F2 R2 L' U R': Gd]
    [F' B R' U' F: Gd]
    [R' F2 L U2 F2 D B2 R2: Gd]
    Each Gd is R U R' y' R2 u' R U' R' U R' u R2 y

-Only J-perms. No setups. Just J-perms and rotations. If I recall correctly, I can beat my girlfriend's regular time with this. I like making up J-perm commutators.

-Similarly, only RUR'U'R'FRF' and rotations. I've never actually gone all the way through with this, but I did work out a method for it. I'd love to know someones time actually solving the cube this way.

-One edge cycle and one corner cycle + conjugation. E.g. M'U2MU2 for edges and R2D'L2D]x2 for corners. Actually, that particular method is currently what I show people who want to think their way solving the cube. (Ala Badmephisto's "How to Solve a Rubik's cube for MIT graduates"). I think they're particularly easy algorithms to memorize, and to understand if you're so inclined.

-Another 1 edge and 1 corner pair I practiced a bit was sexy move for corners and [R2U2]x3 for edges. A friend told me used only those two to solve a cube his first time, based on some mathematician's book on cubing. The R2U2x3 algorithm is kind of awkward / fun to think through.

-Conjugating to U (I think I may have allowed U2 also). The setup for the last layer was pretty tricky.

Caveats:
    -I'm absolutely not taking credit for anything here. I just wanted to see them all in one place.
    -I realize it's way cooler to actually know / be good at multiple real methods. Kirjava's 20/20 video completely blows me away. This is just screwing around.
    -I could be spending all my time getting faster at cfop / learning algs / etc. Yes, that is true.
    -I guess it's all mostly just conjugating to different things. They still feel different to me though.
    -Sincere apologies if this is duplicating another thread.

So anyway, am I the only one that does this kind of thing?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    I do this every once in a while. One I like to do is just to place a single edge, and then treat it as if it is a bandaged cube. So say you place the YO edge, you can only turn WRGB.

3. evogler

evogler Member

Mar 30, 2011
    WCA:
    2012VOGL01
    Nice. I had to realize a few things to make that work.

4. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    I do columns sometimes

5. NeedReality

NeedReality Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    WCA:
    2010MARK03
    YouTube:
    needmorereality
    As in one of the Columns First Methods? If so, that hardly belongs in a thread about misc./non-useful/gimmicky/random ways to solve the cube - it is quite a viable method in my opinion.

6. Ninja Storm

Ninja Storm Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2012ELLI01
    YouTube:
    crazyninja300
    My club somehow thought it was fun to solve/scramble the puzzle in only T-Perms. -___-

7. LNZ

LNZ Premium Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Adelaide, SA
    YouTube:
    Darkangel2347
    There was a Youtube video where you scramble a 3x3x3 cube and attempt to solve it to the checker board pattern. I did this once in late 2009 and it took me about 4 minutes to do.

8. Jaycee

Jaycee Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Crestwood, Illinois
    YouTube:
    Jayceeblaster
    < solving normally -> M2 E2 S2

o_O

9. Godmil

Godmil Premium Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    YouTube:
    Godmil
    That's cheating through. Also you could solve directly into a superflip, that's probably easier.

10. Rpotts

Rpotts Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Topikachu, KS
    WCA:
    2010POTT01
    YouTube:
    rpotts1
    I used to really enjoy solving into the cube in cube in cube pattern. That was a fun challenge for me as a beginner. I remember how hard LL felt lol.

11. blakedacuber

blakedacuber Premium Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Ireland
    WCA:
    2010BOWE01
    YouTube:
    wellboi12345
    Solve using only jperm

12. cunningcuber

cunningcuber Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Look behind you...
    There is something I tried once although i never succeded because I end up with the whole cube correctly solved except for two edges that are misoriented
    -First, do a 2x2x2 block around, let's say, DBL.
    -Then do a 2x2x2 block around UFL
    -solve the rest of thr cube using commutators and edge perms.

13. Muesli

Muesli Premium Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA:
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube:
    musli4brekkies
    'K3'

-Bottom layer
    -middle layer edges like you would solving the middle edges during K4
    -CLL
    -Comms.

Just fun to do and comms practise. :)

14. jeffjc

jeffjc Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Entirely commutators!

15. Needs more solutions to this scramble
    U

Sounds like a blindfold solve...

16. evogler

evogler Member

Mar 30, 2011
    WCA:
    2012VOGL01
    I think so too.

Speaking of solving to other states... Something I was actually trying to get fast at for a few days was solving to the cube you get if you do [u r']x3 to a solved cube. The idea is that the cube looks like a mess the whole time you're playing with it, but then you quickly [r u']x3 and bam!, it's solved. The [r u']x3 is super fast, and can be done with one hand while the other points at the cube as if casting a spell, for dramatic effect. Or you could act disappointed, and pretend to give up, but then hide your hand for a second, do the [r u']x3, and then toss the cube back to your audience with a nonchalant "here you go".