1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

Meyer method for 5x5

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by lilKriT, Jun 8, 2018.

1. lilKriT

lilKriT Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Hello,
    I practiced the 4x4 for a while now and I decided to move on to the 5x5 too. I use Roux for the 3x3 so natural progression was Meyer method. I used half centers and 3-2-3 pairing which I love, I wonder what would be the progression for a 5x5 cube? Are there any tutorials on how to do that?

Is there another method for that or do I have to try and extrapolate what I already know?

2. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    channel/UCKY9uCII2wIfPmLidA_KXMA
    You just kinda have to extrapolate what you know. It isn't really that good on 5x5 though and you'd be better off using reduction.

3. lilKriT

lilKriT Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I see. That's interesting... I was sure it would be better, since Meyer is much better on the 4x4 than reduction - unless reduction is something else than I'm thinking.

Can you recommend any good edge pairing methods and parity algorhithms? Or even better, a place to find some?

4. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    For 4x4, meyer is better than reduction (but still a pretty bad method), but not on 5x5. Freeslice is the best edge pairing method.

5. lilKriT

lilKriT Member

Apr 12, 2018
    What method is better than Meyer than? I only know of Yau and Hoya other than that. Hoya is pretty bad from what I know and Yau is for CFOP users.

6. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    There isn't really a good method for roux big cubes. Your best bet is to learn how to do CFOP on big cubes, because roux doesn't work very well. Yau is undoubtably the best method, and i don't think it would be too hard to get used to cfop for big cubes.

7. CLL Smooth

CLL Smooth Member

Dec 17, 2012
    WCA:
    2012LOET01
    YouTube:
    channel/UCKX4VUjMV0bnQWTj_v5vIOQ
    Misinformation
    Lies.
    There’s always K4

Y2k1 and Chree like this.
  8. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    The thing is, yau is objectively better than hoya, so that doesn't really matter.

There is absolutely no way k4 is better than yau. You have to blockbuild more, do a ton of moves during F2L, and ELL is pretty bad too.

9. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    I tend to agree with the views expressed in this video, especially regarding Yau vs. Hoya.

CarterK likes this.
  10. CLL Smooth

CLL Smooth Member

Dec 17, 2012
    WCA:
    2012LOET01
    YouTube:
    channel/UCKX4VUjMV0bnQWTj_v5vIOQ
    I agree with all of that as well. I also remember the little Hoya vs. Yau experiment that Chree did a couple years ago. It’s around page 25 of the Hoya discussion thread.

Chree likes this.
  11. Chree

Chree Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    WCA:
    2013BROT01
    YouTube:
    chree55
    I've noticed that when people start a sentence with "The thing is...", the thing that follows is usually an opinion. Isn't that weird?

Edit for the OP: Meyer is interesting and kinda fun, but Yau or Hoya are your best bets if you wanted a single method for both 4x4 and 5x5. Pick the one you have the most fun with.

CarterK likes this.