• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

membership/posting fees

Rabid

One post a day doesn't allow for conversation in a Forum discussion. So what's the point?
A Forum is simply a virtual meeting place for like minded individuals. You can’t ask everyone who steps through the door to sit in the corner for a week (ok, you can, but they’ll just leave). Even the most obnoxious bad boundary tweener might arc into a competent contributor if given time to ripen.

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the point of the one post cap is to have the new members first read around so they don't post the same thread multiple times. After a week, they should be able to know what threads have already been done (or, at least, a way to check if they have already been done), so they can then become a better contributor.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Post something because you have something to say, not because you want to say something.
Very well said. Though I suspect the people who need this advice won't understand it and think both are the same.

we should create a video of how to use proper speedsolving.com etiquitte
You know, first second I thought how weird it would be to have video advice for a text forum. Second second I realized you're absolutely right, and why. Stupid people don't read.

OK, then!
Who has the best speech(easiest to understand)?

Let's staart a list of what we should include in the video:
-Read the Rules!!!
-Read the Rules again!!!
-do not post useless threads
-do not post threads that, in one from or another, have already been made
-If you're posting a video, you should probably post it in the 'video gallery':eek:

:D:p

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
One post a day doesn't allow for conversation in a Forum discussion. So what's the point?
A Forum is simply a virtual meeting place for like minded individuals. You can’t ask everyone who steps through the door to sit in the corner for a week (ok, you can, but they’ll just leave). Even the most obnoxious bad boundary tweener might arc into a competent contributor if given time to ripen.
That's a good analogy, but I think you come to the wrong conclusion.

If I go to a gathering for anything (work, school, cubing, whatever), the first meeting I tend to quietly listen to the people that have been coming for longer than I have. I make note of who seem to be the leaders, who seem to have the most knowledge I'm interested in. Plus, I tend to listen to the conversations and learn from what's being discussed before piping in with my newbie questions and looking like a dumbass.

Once I've been a couple of times, politely engaged in a few conversations and have a feel for the etiquette expected by the group, I may engage the group with a question, but only after I've asked around to know that it wasn't a stupid one or one that's been asked and answered a dozen times.

If someone comes into a group I'm a member of and starts interrupting with stupid questions, spouting off inaccurate information and basically detracting from the overall event, then they absolutely need to sit in a corner and listen. If they leave and don't come back because they can't talk, then they probably wouldn't have added anything to the group if they'd stayed.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Post something because you have something to say, not because you want to say something.
Very well said. Though I suspect the people who need this advice won't understand it and think both are the same.
You know, first second I thought how weird it would be to have video advice for a text forum. Second second I realized you're absolutely right, and why. Stupid people don't read.

lol agreed. and it should automatically play after registering.

-1 on a video.

People need to learn to read.

it could be a narrated slideshow of sorts.

OK, then!

-Read the Rules!!!
-Read the Rules again!!!
-If you're posting a video, you should probably post it in the 'video gallery':eek:

it could be a competition of sorts. i think PJK or one of the other mods should post a script, then the members of this forums could post videos or audio clips of them reading the aforementioned script. then it could be a vote, or the mods could just decide which is best.

Dorsenstein

WCA
2008FLEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel

OK, then!

-Read the Rules!!!
-Read the Rules again!!!

:D:p

How About:

Use proper English, grammar, and spelling.

(It really ticks me off when people don't.)

Example:

My post: My favorite cube type is type d.

Their post:Yea DOOD taht's my faviorite cueb to

(This is a slight exaggeration but you get the point.)

The way they should post it: Yeah dude that's my favorite cube too.

I think this would make the forum nicer for everyone.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
-1 on a video.

People need to learn to read.

it could be a narrated slideshow of sorts.
Or it could be me yelling at them.

-1 on that idea.

agreed. no offense stefan, but i think a video of you yelling at the camera would make me crap my pants. i sometimes get scared just reading the things you write. although if terrifying is what you are going for, then you should also throw in some random german words for effect. or maybe if people post too much then they have to watch a video of stefan yelling at them.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
perhaps we should place 'tags' on threads?
like on youtube

Make all of the noobs take a "Did you Really Read the Rules" test
I actually think that this would help alot...if you had SLIGHTLY stricter rules

I like stachu's ideas. I don't think a fee should be mandatory or restrict posting for the first week. People tend to post the most the first week, get all their questions answered and not post as much (or even at all) (of course, I'm an exception, my first post was like 3months after I joined).

Dene's (practise) bot idea is also really nice.

Perhaps make
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1685
more visible?
I don't think I'll be able to afford to pay for the forum though.

Last edited:

Dorsenstein

WCA
2008FLEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can see the video now:

Stefan (Or another person) in pleasant voice: "Hi, you've just registered on the greatest speedcubing forum of all time... speedsolving.com! first a few rules:"
Stefan (Or another person) starts yelling:" FIRST OF ALL: NO POSTS THAT ARE CRAP! I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY POSTS THAT ARE NOT HELPFUL AND/OR IGNORANT!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i lol'd for about 20 seconds...

anyway, we could have it so no threads could be started unless 5 ordinary members vote for them to be allowed...so if only 4 ppl are online...:(, oh well!

we could make a sub-forum for just-made threads(not approved yet)