• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys I'm looking for some tips, I know the angle reallly isn't the best, but you guys can live with it. Also this solve is just a few seconds faster then what I normally average.

Last edited by a moderator:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought about it a bit and I don't think being totally color neutral is worth it on minx. The gain is that you can start from any side, which might save a little time at the start, but the loss is that you can't have all of the colors you will be using memorized. When I solve with fixed colors, for instance, I'm already used to the five color pairs I'll be using for my star, so when I notice any one of those edges (even while making some other pair) I can keep track of it mentally and get better lookahead. If you use the method that builds five blocks after the F2L, you can also get used to those colors and know exactly what you're looking for ahead of time, and if you're really used to it you can do blocks in any order depending on what you see first or what's easiest. Unlike 3x3 where there are really only a few combinations for which F2L edges you will be looking for, on minx the colors are not so symmetric, so it would take an extreme amount of work to get used to every possible orientation - there just isn't enough short term memory to look at an unknown group of color combinations and keep track of all of them while you're solving, which means you will lose some efficiency and lookahead by not finding useful pieces. And if you're going to actually put in the work to get used to all of those fundamentally different color schemes, you might as well spend that time learning better LL algs or something.

Also, here are some minx CPLLs I found earlier.
- x' R' U' R U R' D' R U' R' U D R x (this one works on 3x3x3 too)
- D2 R2 U L U' R2' U L' U' D2'
- (R U R') U2 (R U' R') U2 (R U R') U (R U R') U' (R U' R') U (R U' R') U2

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I can post a megaminx related video here :D (just with some "how to do thumb tricks" ish and some 10-14.5 TPS CPLLs :) 0.83 A-perm...)
for action, skip to 3.34.
If you actually want to learn the fingertrick, start from the beginning :)

But what is it about the Mefferts that they like?

it's smooth.

BigJoe

Megaminx - Last 2 Corners

Hello everyone I'm new here to the forums.

I have been searching everywhere but I am not able to find a solution to the problem I am having with my megaminx puzzle. Basically I am trying to get the last corners permuated but I've ran into a problem I cannot think my way out of. My Megaminx looks like below:

Code:
          C
          c
B                  D
    b           e

a           d
A                  E

I need to switch corners E and D but all methods I find on the web only give me a way to rotate 3 corners at a time. I have not found any combination that would allow me to swap 2 corners using a 3 corner method. I hope this makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

AndersB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BERG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You cannot possibly swap two corners only on a Megaminx, which means that your Megaminx must have popped, and the pieces were put in wrong. You'll just have to take out and swap any two cornerpieces, and it will be solvable again:)

BigJoe

You cannot possibly swap two corners only on a Megaminx, which means that your Megaminx must have popped, and the pieces were put in wrong. You'll just have to take out and swap any two cornerpieces, and it will be solvable again:)

Thank you, I did accidentally pop it yesterday and that must have done it. Much appreciated!

Your picture makes no sense to me, but yeah, you can't swap only two corners. Unless you have a 6-color megaminx, in which case there are identical pieces, so you have to swap two of those to make this case solvable again.

I have a 12-color megaminx but for a while I thought I had parity but nobody anywhere was talking about parity on a 12-color megaminx. I thought I was just being dumb lol
My picture basically says that a, b, c are in their correct permutation and d, e are not. I had no idea how else to explain what I was seeing but thank you! I have since popped them out like AndersB said and solved it

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
I didn't understand the picture either but you certainly can't swap two corners on a megaminx (without swapping two other corners somewhere else).

Reason is that the faces are 5-sided so turning a face means a rotation of 5 corners (and also 5 edges). A rotation of 5 is an "even" permutation. But a swap of two is "odd". You can't get odd from even.

You can do it on the cube because it's 4-sided. This makes a single turn an "odd" permutation. You can make a swap out of it. However, turning a face also rotates the edges so this means that the even / odd parity of the 3x3x3 cube are tied together. If you do an odd permutation on the corners, you must also have done an odd permutation on the edges. That's why none of the PLL algorithms allow you to swap just a pair of corners while leaving the edges untouched.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Your picture makes no sense to me, but yeah, you can't swap only two corners. Unless you have a 6-color megaminx, in which case there are identical pieces, so you have to swap two of those to make this case solvable again.

Even on a 6-color megaminx, no two corners are the same, there are pairs of corners whtn the same colors but the two corners of each pair are mirroring each other. So no corner parity either (but you can have edge parity).